• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

I need to start walking courses, but I only get to play on weekends.

Tldr but I mostly agree. It's brutal. I was raised without any tech, learned to eyeball your shots and know enough about your game to know what club you need just by eyeball, and if you're lucky maybe a stake or marked sprinkler head on the fancy courses. Anyway, it is crazy annoying, especially with weekend warriors shooting MAYBE 90s+ treating every shot like they are on tour. Honestly though, in my groups it's most annoying on the puts. Some of these turds read them and stalk the green like they see on tv and then don't get close. I have a short temper for this shit and make my position known early.

Damn vt that sounds horrible. I've got one guy that I sometimes play with that is that way and he's new to the game, basically started in playing in college and is obsessed now. So maybe it's something to do with players that haven't been playing long. Obviously no idea what type of group you were playing with. I'm like you, grew up playing familiar courses and will walk off the paces from my ball to the nearest marker around my ball but that's about it. Although I did get a lazer range finder for xmas that i'm looking forward to using. That said, if I ever play 9 holes and it takes over 2 hours and 15 minutes i'm pretty pissed. If i'm playing with my buddies back home (all of us being between scratch and a 10 or so) we play in like 3:30 hours walking. I literally can't comprehend what a 6 hour, much less 7 or 8 hour round would be like.

I've gotten set up with a pretty sweet connection in Richmond & have been able to play 12 different tracks (some more than once) in the past month.
VT, what's your Richmond set up? I took a tour of Stonehedge two weekends ago and really enjoyed it for what I'm looking for. Probably going to get a membership when I move there in July.

I met one of the asst. pros that rotates around the Traditions courses & I have gotten in with his group of friends (most of whom work w/ Traditions in some way or another).

I think they actually have an official setup where Traditions employees can take foursomes out for $20/person when slots are available, but I've been fortunate enough to get in with a crowd who knows who to give a head-nod to.

I'm pretty sure my 15 rounds this year have run a total of $84. I'm supposed to be on the job-hunt (transitional phase and all that crap) right now, but I'm living it up while I can.

VT, what's your Richmond set up? I took a tour of Stonehedge two weekends ago and really enjoyed it for what I'm looking for. Probably going to get a membership when I move there in July.

When you get up here lets grab a beer or play a round. I can probably point you in the right direction (or at least to somebody who can).

There are some unbelievable deals right now on memberships at some fairly nice courses. My impression is that there are a handful of courses around RIC that were built at an extremely inopportune time. If you're like me and couldn't care less about the 'bonus facilities' (pool, etc.)... There are some clubs that got caught in a crunch around '07-'08 after building spectacular golf courses; and while they might not have completed all of the planned bells-and-whistles... All of the parts that I care about are there & you can have them for pennies on the dollar.

When you get up here lets grab a beer or play a round. I can probably point you in the right direction (or at least to somebody who can).

There are some unbelievable deals right now on memberships at some fairly nice courses. My impression is that there are a handful of courses around RIC that were built at an extremely inopportune time. If you're like me and couldn't care less about the 'bonus facilities' (pool, etc.)... There are some clubs that got caught in a crunch around '07-'08 after building spectacular golf courses; and while they might not have completed all of the planned bells-and-whistles... All of the parts that I care about are there & you can have them for pennies on the dollar.

Join the Foundry!

We've bounced around so much I would have trouble even naming a couple of places we've ventured on to... but here's a rambling list of the courses that made an impression on me:

Of the Traditions courses...

-Royal New Kent is spectacular. Its a real test... You're right at the Colonial Downs racetrack but when you're hitting your first tee shot, I guarantee that you won't feel like you're in the U.S... I've spoken with several people who weren't as impressed by it; so it might change based on conditions year to year... but this picture is a pretty good representative of what I've faced the past three rounds there:

yXD5j.png

-Brickshire & Stonehouse were both enjoyable courses though nothing to write home about. Still, solid tracks & nice facilities.

-The Crossings... I personally hated this course. Its tight, but not cozy/fun-challenging tight... Its tight in the sense that you have a highway running down the tree line most holes.

-Kiskiak is a bit more of a hike from RIC, but its in great shape and (like Royal New Kent) its a course that will make you forget where you are in the country.

Something called GolfNow (which I assume is pretty mainstream these days) seems to be widely used around here & we've made our way onto a couple of random courses in the area through that...

-The Federal Club is the course/club I was thinking about when I was mentioning membership deals... Great course, close to the city... I could easily see myself joining there some day.

We drove out to a course called Colonial Heritage this past weekend which was tucked away in a gated retirement community. It was pretty remarkable for what we paid ($25).

I got really lucky and handed two extra Squirrels (AA baseball team) tickets to a gentleman walking into one of the playoff games last year. He and his wife ended up sitting with us & it turned out that he's a member at Hermitage... He's hosted me out there a few times recently & while my jaw hit the floor when I saw membership prices... If you ever have the chance to play that course on someone else's dime, I would highly recommend it.

Walking a course in the late spring at dusk is my idea of heaven.

Ditto. Its frustrating that so many of the RIC courses have been built around sprawling cookie-cutter neighborhoods & as a result of that, have obscene distances between tees.

I'm forgetting the name of the course we played on Sunday... but there were multiple 2-3 minute cart-rides between holes.

Of the courses I've played here... I would only consider walking maybe 2 of the 12.

ETA: The course from Sunday was Pendleton. It was in piss-poor shape & I'm always frustrated by places that tell you that they've recently aerated, 'but you won't be able to tell'. Not only were the greens punched up by some sort of machinery I'm not familiar with, they had scraped significant chunks of almost every green so that there wasn't even a hint of grass in between the craters.

I'd be surprised if that course reaches any level of mediocrity anytime this golf-season.

Last edited:
Have you played Mattaponi Springs? I hear it's for sale so maybe the conditions have dropped but it's a great track. Was thinking about playing a solstice event at royal new kent but it's a hike from dc...

Have you played Mattaponi Springs? I hear it's for sale so maybe the conditions have dropped but it's a great track. Was thinking about playing a solstice event at royal new kent but it's a hike from dc...

I'm not the least bit familiar with it (which certainly isn't a commentary on it either way... I haven't explored the area on my own a single time yet)

Stonehedge and the Golden Horseshoe courses are the only ones in the area that I've played.

Can somebody recommend a good (cheap) golf ball?

I know a couple of companies have switched hands (IIRC, didn't Dicks buy Maxfli and start producing cheaper balls under the same labels?) but I've been away for too long to know what's what.

I used to play the Pro V1X... I'm remarkably short off the tee & with my irons and that ball always seemed to give me a little boost, especially on the roll. I had a few of those still laying around but I've about torn the cover off of the ones that are still in my bag so its time to move on.

The most important factor for me is consistency around the greens (especially with pitches <50 yards)... The Pro V's always seemed to perform consistently in that regard which is how i justified their cost. I know I bounced between some model of TaylorMade balls w/ Black and Red versions a few years back and was amazed at how differently each ball responded to spin on short shots...

I don't necessarily need a low-spin or a high-spin ball... I just want something that I feel confident with & pretty much know how their going to act if I hit my intended shot around the green.

Precept Laddie FTW

I'm so behind on equipment I have no idea what's good.

Last edited:
You and me both... I think the newest stick in my bag is an R5 (*7.5) that I picked up at Play-It-Again Sports for $45 back in 2006.

I've heard great things about the golf balls Bridgestone is coming out with now a days. Relatively cheap and are good around the greens. Haven't been able to play any myself yet but the a buddy was telling me the Bridgestone E6 is pretty solid and is a 3-piece design. Maybe give that a try.

Also, what you're talking about is a Vector. We used these: https://store.accusport.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=HW-VECTORPRO

Pretty accurate, all you really need is somewhere you can hit a ball indoors, a mat to hit off of, and a computer. These are what Golfsmith uses, and I believe Golf Galaxy as well although I may be mistaken on that count since I didn't work for them. They work very well once you have them set up correctly but can be somewhat of a bitch to get situated right. They're also a little ornery sometimes and have to be recalibrated. These, however, are the best on the market.

I was looking at things like this:

http://www.hdgolf.com/

Yea exactly. Long article in Golf Digest about it, some guy who sucks is trying it. My friend actually has talent but I'm not sure he'll ever find the distance to make any money off his game.

The documentary of this is on netflix it was a decent watch. I didn't realize how there was like a minor league of golf in every state. It seems they sort you according to your handicap. I looked at the tourneys in North Carolina of the type he was playing and the scores are not that bad and I feel I could be competitive in my division. It would be fun, but I definitely do not have the time.

Back