• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Anyone got any tips for avoiding digging on wedge shots and getting a more consistent spin? I'm mostly talking about shots from 60-120 yards. Once I get to a PW the issue seems to go away. This is by far the biggest problem with my game right now.

Anyone got any tips for avoiding digging on wedge shots and getting a more consistent spin? I'm mostly talking about shots from 60-120 yards. Once I get to a PW the issue seems to go away. This is by far the biggest problem with my game right now.

I know that shot, unfortunately. You might try shallowing out your swing a bit. For me, that often results from coming down too steeply from the top, which is often a symptom of starting the hands down ahead of the lower body (in effect coming over the top).

I've got some weird hitch in my wedge game as well, have for a while. I hit a 3/4 lower spinner wedge shot the exact same distance as my full swing wedges. IDK what I do between 3/4 of a swing to full but whatever it does it is not good. I hit a ton of 3/4 shots and thank god they are my bread and butter shot or i'd be up shits creek.

Do you know what the bounces on your wedges are?

After doing some quick internet research, I think I will try to keep more weight on my front foot and keep my hands pressed more at impact. The issue is primarily shots digging and going high, right, and sometimes short. Hopefully this will help.

I recently got fitted for some mizuno irons and they put me in the dynalite gold xp x100 shafts, so they are definitely steel and (extra) stiff. I'm in the market for a 54 or 55 degree with 10ish degrees of bounce and a 60 with 6. Not sure if I should just try and match those shafts exactly or get something a little bit softer since i'll be hitting a lot fewer full shots with those two wedges.

If It were me & I had the money to spend on it (shouldn't be too bad for just two clubs), I'd probably match them based on what you were already fitted for...

It basically comes down to what will give you the best feel (rather than the best distance)... If you've got good touch around the green already & have grown comfortable with a specific flex on your wedges; I wouldn't change it up...

Caddied for our club assistant pro in the Wells Fargo pre qualifier at Carolina Golf Club today. He made 7 birdies and shot 67 to get through easily. We'll be out there trying to qualify in the 4 spotter on Monday!

I recently got fitted for some mizuno irons and they put me in the dynalite gold xp x100 shafts, so they are definitely steel and (extra) stiff. I'm in the market for a 54 or 55 degree with 10ish degrees of bounce and a 60 with 6. Not sure if I should just try and match those shafts exactly or get something a little bit softer since i'll be hitting a lot fewer full shots with those two wedges.

I have always played wedges with a little softer feel. I carry four wedges, 48, 52, 56, and 60. The 48 is part of my irons set (Taylormade Tour Burner) and the others are Cleveland 588s. To your point about playing fewer full shots with the 50s and 60s, I like the softer feel on the shots 110 and in. I try never to play a full shot with anything above my 48.

Shot 75 at Raleigh CC yesterday with only one birdie - couldn't buy a putt (had 34 of them). Story of my life. Actually ordered a belly putter last week - set to arrive Tuesday. Played a round with one last weekend, and liked it. Yesterday I was stuck with my standard Scotty, and couldn't do anything with it. Think the belly putter is my last hope before having to consider the full broomstick.

Beautiful day for golf though - lunchtime storms had me concerned, but it was still 90-degrees out there for the carts.

Just got confirmed for comp tickets to the WF Championship next Friday and I am going to get fuuuucked UP! If you see me, just nod. I'm trying to get myself moved up for some hospitality so I don't have to wait in line for drinks.

I'm in the same boat. Right now we have tix and access to a hospitality house, but it's off the course so a bit of a pain to get the free booze. Great parking though.

Yeah, I've had the full range of hospitality at the event from posh tents on the 18th green to Clubhouse passes, to more pedestrian stuff. the tent setups are definitely the best and most conducive to sitting and staying for awhile. The clubhouse is just a clusterfuck. Everybody thinks it's something special because you can buy liquor, but it's a pretty typical CC clubhouse.

Some of the centralized hospitality that small vendors can buy with their ticket packages is pretty crappy and overcrowded. We were given tickets once to a restricted hospitality tent where you still had to pay for your food. WTF?

last year I had a wristband for a tent on 18, one of the smaller sections, but still free booze, food, ben and jerrys, etc. problem was it was filled with d-bags so i spent most of my time on the course watching golf and paying for beer to avoid having to talk to the turds. at first i kept making runs up in the tent for free booze but i worried it was becoming too obvious i was avoiding them. plus i wanted to get out on the pretty holes and such. anyway, what a great weekend, QH and the Derby, one of the best weekends of the year. I hope the weather is good. I'll be the handsome young man with the hot fitness instructor wife looking smoking in her sundress.

Shot 75 at Raleigh CC yesterday with only one birdie - couldn't buy a putt (had 34 of them). Story of my life. Actually ordered a belly putter last week - set to arrive Tuesday. Played a round with one last weekend, and liked it. Yesterday I was stuck with my standard Scotty, and couldn't do anything with it. Think the belly putter is my last hope before having to consider the full broomstick.

Did you get fit for the belly? Been on the putter hunt for a while after being a Cameron Newport2 guy for a long time. Bagged a few mallets but could never really click with one the way I did a blade style putter. Grabbed the putter Haas uses to try out the belly craze, Scotty Kombi mid, worked with it a lot in the off-season but on the course this year it's been disappointing.

I was frustrated enough to borrow a putter from a buddy of mine who is really particular about putters. Has a cameraon blackout newport, a tour-only ghost manta, a couple very rare bettinardi custom jobs, etc. He ended up with a SeeMore One CS Belly - and it is ridiculous. I made more putts on the front 9 when I borrowed it than I had the 10 rounds before that. (7 one putts, 3 over 20 feet).

But clearly one of the reasons I liked it so much is because it was 2 degrees upright and center-shafted, perfect for a more vertical stance and straight-back-straight-through stroke like mine. I'd heard of putter fitting but never really put much stock into it... For a belly I think it's far more important - very different than a standard putter where you really just roll a bunch and pick a head/setup/length that fits you.

Anyway, hopefully it works out, but if it doesn't don't give up on the belly. Until it's banned (as it probably should be) it really is a great method of putting for anyone who can get used to the feel and doesn't have time to spend 2 hours a day putting.

If the USGA and R&A ever do ban the belly putter it will be phased in slowly like the groove rule change. Pros will have about a year to get ready, and amateurs will be given about a decade.

Back