• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

First round of the year yesterday out at my club in Maryland. Only played 9 but shot a 41 which is awesome for me. 82 is my career low. Had a birdie and four pars. Can’t wait for the season to really start. LFG.

Looks like a great trip. You’re obviously heading up north since Royal Dornoch is on your list. Are Tain and Brora up there as well? I’m not familiar with them. I’ve never been up north but have always wanted to play Dornoch, Cruden Bay, and Nairn.

I hope you get on the Old, but that is long since past one of my requirements for a Scottish golf trip. Once you’ve done it, there are so many other better courses, IMO.

Hmmmm, I've only been over once but my feeling is just the opposite. I would be happy to go over and play the Old every day for a week straight. Maybe I would feel differently after I played it a few more times, but I really loved it. Probably just the emotion of playing it for the first time. I do feel like it would be a different course every time, depending on the weather, etc.

The other courses we played were not better then the Old - just different. Maybe more scenic or more beautiful or better conditioned, maybe even a "better" design, but I can find those things at plenty of places in the U.S. There is only one Old course.

Heading to Scottsdale this weekend to play both courses at Troon North, both courses at We-Ko-Pa and Papago. Anyone played any of them?

Heading to Scottsdale this weekend to play both courses at Troon North, both courses at We-Ko-Pa and Papago. Anyone played any of them?

I’ve played Troon and both we-ko-pa courses. We-ko-pa segura is probably my favorite course in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area and I’ve played a bunch of them.

Tain is between Inverness and Dornoch. We are playing it as our stop on arrival day. It's right next door to the Glenmorangie distillery.

Brora is about 15 minutes north of Dornoch.

We have 2 new travelers out of our 8, so getting on the Old for them is pretty important. I agree after this many trips (4 for me and 7 rounds on Old) that it's not a priority, but spending 4 or 5 days in St. A absolutely is a must on every trip for me.

Yep, the Village of St. Andrews is so cool. We always stay at the Russel Hotel, just up the hill from the R&A clubhouse. I love that place.

I’ve played Troon and both we-ko-pa courses. We-ko-pa segura is probably my favorite course in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area and I’ve played a bunch of them.

Love Wekopa. Played them both and were my favorites in the area too. Played the TPC stadium course also, thought wekopa was a ton more fun than that course.

So yeah, back to Scotland for the 3rd time in 4 years...

Tain
Brora
Royal Dornoch
Castle Stuart
New
Castle
Jubilee
Crail
*Old - Didn't get on via the advance ballot but everyone is going to stand by and play it at least once.
Nice! Hard to imagine a better golfing day than Brora / Dornoch with some whisky and Trawler fish and chips

Damn. Once my kids are a little older I might have to re-friend LK and bring a couple buddies of mine on his trips... The jealousy level is very high.

So yeah, back to Scotland for the 3rd time in 4 years...

Tain
Brora
Royal Dornoch
Castle Stuart
New
Castle
Jubilee
Crail
*Old - Didn't get on via the advance ballot but everyone is going to stand by and play it at least once.

Which Crail course? We played the older one (Balcomie) and it was very quirky but a lot of fun - really nice views as it sits right on a point on the water, with some high points. At one point you walk by a cave where some King Constantine was supposedly killed around 800 AD...

LK is a Jedi with planning these things economically.
I think golf and lodging (bed and breakfast in Dornoch and airbnb house off the 17th at the old course) was 1900. Flight is obviously variable. I think mine was 1500 but I live near a smaller airport and upgraded a bit to pick out my seats etc. I think LK and the other guys found a cheaper option.

What is an ideal trip to Bandon from East Coast look like? I am kind of the trip organizer dude for my group and it looks daunting. Looking for 2021 summer so Sheep Ranch is in the mix.

Lack of a good commercial airport near Bandon presents a challenge, so I’m told.

I’m playing all 5 Bandon courses in June. I’m going to be flying into Eugene and driving from there. North Bend (OTH) is much closer, but has limited flights in and out. That is preferable to Eugene, but I couldn’t make the flights work for the dates of my trip.

Which Crail course? We played the older one (Balcomie) and it was very quirky but a lot of fun - really nice views as it sits right on a point on the water, with some high points. At one point you walk by a cave where some King Constantine was supposedly killed around 800 AD...

Balcomie. I've done both on a past trip. Really like Balcomie for all the quirk and history.

LK is a Jedi with planning these things economically.
I think golf and lodging (bed and breakfast in Dornoch and airbnb house off the 17th at the old course) was 1900. Flight is obviously variable. I think mine was 1500 but I live near a smaller airport and upgraded a bit to pick out my seats etc. I think LK and the other guys found a cheaper option.

Thanks bud.

Really the savings are in lodging. If you stay in hotels tack 1k extra on.

We always rent a house with anywhere from 4 to 8 bedrooms and it really brings costs down.

Trips I've taken have ranged from 1800 to 2800. The 2800 trup had Carnoustie, Kingsbarns and Turnberry on it. Those jacked the cost up a ton.

Another factor ends up being the exchange rate. A few years back I had most of the trip held with deposits and then Brexit happened and dropped the cost almost 200/person and I paid it all immediately that next day.

It's become a hobby of mine.

LK - do you set up the week or however long it is with a competition? We have a group that varies from 4-8 every year in Florida, we do a money/points race with different games each day. Always looking for ideas, toughest part is picking games that low and high cappers both enjoy and that doesn't favor either. We do a variety of stuff but probably overly complicated at this point.

I will say that one thing I did this year was get a couple dozen "gold" Pro V1's ordered that said "$20 bet, you tie you lose" printed on them. Basically you toss it on the tee box at someone, they have to take the bet, if they tie or better they win $20 (with strokes). Everyone got 1 per day. It worked out pretty well.

Back