• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Are the Vice balls just hype?

Fine ball for mid-level players. Pretty cheap when you buy them in bulk. I think the knock is they do get chewed up rather quickly, but I honestly have only played a sleeve or two that was gifted.

Played The Preserve at Jordan Lake yesterday. I absolutely love the course - worth a quick trip from the Triad or Triangle if you've never played it. Almost had an ugly hole in one on a ball I hit a little thin and probably 6-7 yards right but got a friendly kick dead left and it started tracking to the whole but ended up a tap in birdie.

Interesting....not too many folks around here with that opinion of the Preserve. What did you like about it so much? I'm not a fan of the fact that it takes driver out of your hand on too many holes (even for someone of modest length off the tee like myself). I feel like there are way more bad holes out there than good holes (to the point where I will actively avoid that course if it is hosting a qualifier).

Are the Vice balls just hype?

I like them. The Tour and Pro are a great value, especially if you have a pretty decent swing speed. Pro Plus didn't have the durability of a Pro v1 and was almost too spinny. Straight shots seemed to balloon and if it hooked or sliced, it was gone gone.

Tour was my favorite. 3-piece ball that was a rocket off the tee and stopped on the green with no problem. Only $24 per box.

Swing speed is decent, unfortunately somehow I managed to develop the most over the top swing path on the planet so generally end up hitting a weak fade most of the time.

Swing speed is decent, unfortunately somehow I managed to develop the most over the top swing path on the planet so generally end up hitting a weak fade most of the time.

For the money, they are definitely worth a try.

Things I like:
Despite being in a neighborhood there’s enough natural buffer and longer rides between holes that it feels like playing in the woods
Played from Blue tees and it was a challenging length but not stupid long. Many more 6-7-8 iron approaches.
Good elevation changes to mix things up.
Enough hazard to get your attention but largely is fair and not blind.

I’m far from a golf connoisseur so maybe things I like don’t resonate with folks that play a lot more courses than I do. Looks like it’s fairly highly rated across the board but YMMV.

I think I hit something other than driver just twice on the 4s and 5s.

Not the biggest fan of the Preserve. For that price point I prefer Mill Creek if I'm going a little west of home.

My biggest complaint about Vice balls is that my wedges chewed them up super fast. Played a box of them and switched to the Snell MTB Black for a while which is a way better direct to consumer ball in my opinion.

Switched to the Srixon Z-Star about a year ago and haven't looked back. I love that ball.

My biggest complaint about Vice balls is that my wedges chewed them up super fast. Played a box of them and switched to the Snell MTB Black for a while which is a way better direct to consumer ball in my opinion.

Switched to the Srixon Z-Star about a year ago and haven't looked back. I love that ball.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of Wedges does everyone play?

I play vokey sm8 52 and a 56.

I play Cleveland Tour Action 60 and RTX Tour 56. I play the Srixon ZX5s so next wedge is the 50 approach.

Made it thru Bandon walking each of the three Courses I played, Pacific Dunes, Sheep Ranch and Bandon Dunes. Most incredible total golf experience in 50 years of playing. Like playing in Scotland with all 5 Courses next to each other. This is golf heaven, def bucket list stuff and while pricey, if you haven’t you need to put together a Group and get there. First class experience on all levels. Finished at Olympic (Ocean) to finish an incredible week. So fortunate.

I play Cleveland Tour Action 60 and RTX Tour 56. I play the Srixon ZX5s so next wedge is the 50 approach.

Oh man, do you like the Srixons? I have been contemplating them, the D9 forged or Wilson CBs.

Oh man, do you like the Srixons? I have been contemplating them, the D9 forged or Wilson CBs.

I absolutely love them. I have 5-AW and can't recommend them enough. The only thing I would change looking back is mixing up the set and keeping the ZX5 5-7 and getting the ZX7 8-AW. The 5s are already very workable, but once I got used to them I feel like I could play a little more aggressive with the 7s for the easier to hit irons for me. I hover around a 10 for reference.

Consequently, the Srixon irons are turning me into a fanboy and I have an order in for the ZX5 driver. I've been hitting a TM R7 quad for ages and have never seen a reason to take it out of the bag since I can carry it about 260 avg and can really launch it when I get a hold of it. I hit the ZX5 against the SIM2 and Stealth and it was longer than the SIM but had a tighter dispersion than the Stealth. The biggest thing I learned when comparing to my 15 year old driver is how forgiving they are now. Super obvious misshits were still carrying like 230 or more.

Vokey SM8 48 (bent to 47), 52, 56, 60. Don't think I can ever go away from Vokeys. The shape is so classic and so many grinds to choose from.

I absolutely love them. I have 5-AW and can't recommend them enough. The only thing I would change looking back is mixing up the set and keeping the ZX5 5-7 and getting the ZX7 8-AW. The 5s are already very workable, but once I got used to them I feel like I could play a little more aggressive with the 7s for the easier to hit irons for me. I hover around a 10 for reference.

Consequently, the Srixon irons are turning me into a fanboy and I have an order in for the ZX5 driver. I've been hitting a TM R7 quad for ages and have never seen a reason to take it out of the bag since I can carry it about 260 avg and can really launch it when I get a hold of it. I hit the ZX5 against the SIM2 and Stealth and it was longer than the SIM but had a tighter dispersion than the Stealth. The biggest thing I learned when comparing to my 15 year old driver is how forgiving they are now. Super obvious misshits were still carrying like 230 or more.

Sounds like we are at similar spots in our game. I just don't get to play often enough to dial in my short game and putting. Due to my lack of playing, I would like to have some irons that still have some forgiveness built in. I'm not that worried about working the ball at this point. I hit it high and straight naturally, but anytime I try to fade or draw I end up over cooking it or hit it fat. Wouldn't mind getting better at trajectory control. I'm a shallow sweeper, so that probably has a little to do with why I hit it so high. If it is windy at all, I have zero confidence in my short iron distances.

Fun fact about Bandon; full price for 18 holes, 1/2 price for next 18 and the third 18 is free. If you go for the Quad (5am to 8pm) and make it, they pay you $100. I hear the times are booked solid months in advance.
To be young again.

Sounds like we are at similar spots in our game. I just don't get to play often enough to dial in my short game and putting. Due to my lack of playing, I would like to have some irons that still have some forgiveness built in. I'm not that worried about working the ball at this point. I hit it high and straight naturally, but anytime I try to fade or draw I end up over cooking it or hit it fat. Wouldn't mind getting better at trajectory control. I'm a shallow sweeper, so that probably has a little to do with why I hit it so high. If it is windy at all, I have zero confidence in my short iron distances.

Word. It does sound like our games and iron play are super similar. I really struggle to get good (or any real) compression with my longer irons. Despite taking little turf with them they still launch great and give more than enough spin to stay on greens.

Entirely cosmetic, but they look great at address too. Honestly feels like you're standing over a blade.

Fun fact about Bandon; full price for 18 holes, 1/2 price for next 18 and the third 18 is free. If you go for the Quad (5am to 8pm) and make it, they pay you $100. I hear the times are booked solid months in advance.
To be young again.

Lord. 36 is my limit in a day. Anything beyond that and it's my brain that taps out first. I knocked out like 54 on the Cradle in one day once and I was slap happy by the end of that.

Back