• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Caledonia, Dunes Club and Surf Club are all awesome in very different ways. Dye Club at Barefoot is really good too, and very difficult from the back tees.

I havent been there in a year or so. Last time I was there it was gone. But its possible they only take it away when the piano player is in the bar. I think he may have required they take it down when he plays bc he's had a number of ricochets back at his head over the years.

Can someone explain this please? Never been to pinecrest

There's a green target (think plywood covered in green felt with a hole cut out of it) that they put in the fireplace in the lobby of the inn. People try to chip golf balls into the hole while they are usually gettting hammered at night. Interesting bets are made. Good golfers get on crazy streaks. It's fun. There's a worn spot in the carpet from where most people take their shots, but late night you'll see people taking shots from all over the place. It's been there forever and there's a plaque somewhere with "records" of famous tour guys...I think Watson had like 50 something in a row, Palmer too.

Groupon for Pinebrook this morning. $50 for 2 or $90 for four with cart and range balls.

Good deal?

For four, definitely. Pinebrook is a lot of fun to play.

Nonny and I will be in Richmond, VA on Saturday. Anyone have a recommendation of a place to play (or avoid)?

It's been years since I played more than 1-2 times a year on the "wedding tour," but after a round at Tanglewood Champ course a couple weeks ago with family, I've decided I need to get back to playing. Had too much fun and actually kept the score respectable considering how little I've played since college.

I also quickly realized that technology has passed me by. Hell, I had two balls in my bag...one a ProV1 from Pinehurst from a wedding 3-4 years ago and the other was a damn Balata. Still love my Mizuno Grad irons, but the grips were last replaced in 2000. Hit the hell out of the 1 iron on a few short par 4's though. Ultimately, the club I really need to upgrade is my driver. I'm swinging a 14 year old Zevo, and while I managed to drive a 290 uphill Par 4, I also was able to hit my brother-in-laws cheapo 1-year old Wilson titanium driver farther on the range. With that in mind, I spent all of $110 and ordered a "new" used Burner 2.0 with a Graphalloy Epic shaft. Should be fun to swing something built in this decade when it gets here next week.

Now, I've gotta find the best deals to play around Charlotte. Gonna search through the thread, but any advice would be appreciated.

Heading down to Ocean Isle for a golf weekend tonight..playing River's Edge tomorrow afternoon and The Pearl Sunday morning. Can't wait.

It's been years since I played more than 1-2 times a year on the "wedding tour," but after a round at Tanglewood Champ course a couple weeks ago with family, I've decided I need to get back to playing. Had too much fun and actually kept the score respectable considering how little I've played since college.

I also quickly realized that technology has passed me by. Hell, I had two balls in my bag...one a ProV1 from Pinehurst from a wedding 3-4 years ago and the other was a damn Balata. Still love my Mizuno Grad irons, but the grips were last replaced in 2000. Hit the hell out of the 1 iron on a few short par 4's though. Ultimately, the club I really need to upgrade is my driver. I'm swinging a 14 year old Zevo, and while I managed to drive a 290 uphill Par 4, I also was able to hit my brother-in-laws cheapo 1-year old Wilson titanium driver farther on the range. With that in mind, I spent all of $110 and ordered a "new" used Burner 2.0 with a Graphalloy Epic shaft. Should be fun to swing something built in this decade when it gets here next week.

Now, I've gotta find the best deals to play around Charlotte. Gonna search through the thread, but any advice would be appreciated.

Check GolfNow.com as close to your desired play date as possible. The site isn't great for W-S, but Charlotte, SP, ad the Triangle should be more competitive.

agree with dcdeac re: pinehurst vs myrtle. plus, nothing beats going to myrtle with a bunch of dudes, getting hammered, and making it rain at derrieres or some other seedy strip club. pure gold in aberdeen just doesn't cut it.

next time we go you're invited since you seem to get it.........

Went to a free clinic at Smiley's (formerly Jimmy Mac's) today. They are doing some big things out there in the next few years. Adding a short game area and more targets.

Went to a free clinic at Smiley's (formerly Jimmy Mac's) today. They are doing some big things out there in the next few years. Adding a short game area and more targets.

I wish Smiley the best, but that place will not last the few years you mention without hemorrhaging cash. Terrible location and it's failed multiple times under previous owners.

I wish Smiley the best, but that place will not last the few years you mention without hemorrhaging cash. Terrible location and it's failed multiple times under previous owners.

Yea. I tend to agree with you, but it does keep improving. Putt-putt carpet was refurbished, so hopefully they can get some kids out there.

He is selling a lot more clubs than I remember in years past, so that could help. No clue what the margin is on clubs.

Yea. I tend to agree with you, but it does keep improving. Putt-putt carpet was refurbished, so hopefully they can get some kids out there.

He is selling a lot more clubs than I remember in years past, so that could help. No clue what the margin is on clubs.

There is 60% less golf retail space in the US than there was 5 years ago, so I think retail golf margins are pretty thin.

I really hate the beating the golf industry has taken the last 5 years. It will take a long time to recover.

There is 60% less golf retail space in the US than there was 5 years ago, so I think retail golf margins are pretty thin.

I really hate the beating the golf industry has taken the last 5 years. It will take a long time to recover.

How does it recover? Is it more golfers paying less? Or just so tethered to the economy? I have certainly done my part to contribute to the industry in the last three years.

Shot a 74 yesterday at Reynolds Park in my second round in 8 months. I played really well on the back side and shot even with three lipped out birdie putts. It felt good to be back and playing well.

Back