• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Whats a good estimate on shipping clubs from Greensboro to Scotland and back?

Whats a good estimate on shipping clubs from Greensboro to Scotland and back?

Wow, I've never looked into this. Looks like $250-$450 on the 2 services I checked, Ship Sticks and Luggage Forward. I'd definitely bring them on the plane. If you have to play with a decent rental set day 1, it's not that big a deal.

Soooo the new Titleist irons that have popped up look pretty sweet. Love my current set but they are about 4 years old so may be looking for an upgrade....

Wow, I've never looked into this. Looks like $250-$450 on the 2 services I checked, Ship Sticks and Luggage Forward. I'd definitely bring them on the plane. If you have to play with a decent rental set day 1, it's not that big a deal.

Eww, wonder what it would be if I just took them to FedEx a week before the trip?

Dugan's is kind of trash now. I guess it was always trash but I liked getting wasted in the basement and their chicken sandwich was fine. Drum and Quill is a much of better version of Dugan's and also in the village. The new restaurant in the Pinehurst Clubhouse (The Deuce) is really nice. I've only ever had lunch buffet there but it's a cool place to eat and then sit out on the porch and watch the final groups come in on #2. I guess the other places in the Village worth going to are Theo's, Ten Ya and the Holly Inn but the earlier suggestions are better.

The place I always send people that will leave the village is Ironwood. Much better prices than Elliot's or Chef Warrens and I think the food is better. Good menu, good food, good cocktails, good service, good vibe. If you want a laid back vibe and good food then the bar at Pine Needles is another option.

I will second the Ironwood recommendation if you leave the village.

Agree - It's highway robbery but the UPS quote was only slightly better.

Haven't yet explored the FedEx option but I will be shocked if not in the same ballpark.

Soooo the new Titleist irons that have popped up look pretty sweet. Love my current set but they are about 4 years old so may be looking for an upgrade....

I got the new AP2s earlier this year. Haven't been playing particularly well, but like them a lot.

Agree - It's highway robbery but the UPS quote was only slightly better.

Haven't yet explored the FedEx option but I will be shocked if not in the same ballpark.

Worst case scenario just check them on the plane for 100.00, right?

I haven't traveled a ton for golf on planes, maybe 12 times or so, but I've never had clubs arrive late or any damage.

Finally got to play RTJ this week. That place is golf paradise on earth.

Are you talking about the golf trail? Where did you play? We have just moved to Huntsville...Have played some of the trail but looking to explore more. As a resident, it's very affordable.

Are you talking about the golf trail? Where did you play? We have just moved to Huntsville...Have played some of the trail but looking to explore more. As a resident, it's very affordable.

No, RTJ on Lake Manassas here in the DC area where they've held some President's Cups and the Tiger tourney. Just an incredible facility, short game area alone is bonkers. Although I did almost talk my friends into an RTJ golf trail trip a couple years ago and was bummed that we couldn't make it work. Have heard nothing but good things about the value and quality of courses.

No, RTJ on Lake Manassas here in the DC area where they've held some President's Cups and the Tiger tourney. Just an incredible facility, short game area alone is bonkers. Although I did almost talk my friends into an RTJ golf trail trip a couple years ago and was bummed that we couldn't make it work. Have heard nothing but good things about the value and quality of courses.

Ahhh. Gotcha.

I'll keep the group updated on my rtj trail experiences.

Broke 80 for the first time in 5 years, first time since having kids. Feels good to be playing well (for me) again.

A buddy of mine is a member. We had a scheduled outing last year, but had to cancel (can't remember if it was weather or logistics related). Have heard nothing but good things.

On another golf related note, I posted my career best round yesterday at 82. Been playing really well (for me) in both the ball striking and putting department. Went out in 38 with a couple of birdies, but came home in 44, womp, womp. Was a ton of fun, and I love that I'm playing my best golf right now.

Next stop - break 80.

Back