• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

I feel ok with my DC public course rotation of Whiskey Creek, Potomac Shores, Worthington Manor, Blue Mash, Lake Presidential, etc plus I get invites out to Belle Haven and Chevy every now and then. A friend of mine's (super duper rich) dad is a member at Chevy, Congressional, and Burning Tree. He keeps promising me a round at the latter two but we'll see if that ever happens.

This is so old but I need to state that Lake Presidential has become absolute garbage. Don't go there if you were thinking about it. One GolfNow review says "Comparing to a dog track would be offensive to the dog track"

spent the weekend in Southern Pines for an assload of golf. 14 of us were staying at the Ross Lodge at Pine Needles. Highly recommend if you are planning a big trip. Easy walk to the Loop (their short 4-hole course) and our own private driving range with unlimited balls.

Played Pinehurst #3 on Friday. Absolutely love that course. Possibly moreso than #4. Hit almost every club in the bag.

All day event at Longleaf on Saturday which was tons of fun. Afternoon was alt shot with random pairings. They have 7 tees at Longleaf so before each hole the teams would roll the tie and play tee 1-6 based on the roll. It's fun driving greens on par 4's and having eagle putts and whatnot. Relaxed and fun.

Finished it up on Sunday across the street at Mid Pines. Still my #1 course in the area. So good out there, regardless of how I hit the ball.

Heard many reports that the renovated Southern Pines is sick and will be the best of the three between Pine Needles, Mid Pines, and Southern Pines.

Longleaf is where I lost states my senior year by 1 shot, after winning freshman, sophomore, and junior years. Please never post the name of that course again. Some scars never heal. Thank you

spent the weekend in Southern Pines for an assload of golf. 14 of us were staying at the Ross Lodge at Pine Needles. Highly recommend if you are planning a big trip. Easy walk to the Loop (their short 4-hole course) and our own private driving range with unlimited balls.

Played Pinehurst #3 on Friday. Absolutely love that course. Possibly moreso than #4. Hit almost every club in the bag.

All day event at Longleaf on Saturday which was tons of fun. Afternoon was alt shot with random pairings. They have 7 tees at Longleaf so before each hole the teams would roll the tie and play tee 1-6 based on the roll. It's fun driving greens on par 4's and having eagle putts and whatnot. Relaxed and fun.

Finished it up on Sunday across the street at Mid Pines. Still my #1 course in the area. So good out there, regardless of how I hit the ball.

Heard many reports that the renovated Southern Pines is sick and will be the best of the three between Pine Needles, Mid Pines, and Southern Pines.

Interesting that you like MidPines the best. Played it for the first time with my dad since the Ross restoration over Father's Day, and was not impressed. Much preferred MidSouth the day before. I'd say my unofficial top 5 in that area is #8, #4, Pine Needles, #2, MidSouth. Purposely excluding CCNC & Forest Creek due to private, but both are awesome, and would prob be in there. Need to get on Dormie sometime.

I am very excited to see what they do with SPCC, though. Was a great cheap/fun course to begin with.

Interesting that you like MidPines the best. Played it for the first time with my dad since the Ross restoration over Father's Day, and was not impressed. Much preferred MidSouth the day before. I'd say my unofficial top 5 in that area is #8, #4, Pine Needles, #2, MidSouth. Purposely excluding CCNC & Forest Creek due to private, but both are awesome, and would prob be in there. Need to get on Dormie sometime.

I am very excited to see what they do with SPCC, though. Was a great cheap/fun course to begin with.

Of what I've played (excluding Southern Pines until I play the renovation), my rankings are:

1) Mid Pines
2) #2
3) Dormie
4) #3
5) #4
6) Tobacco Road
7) Longleaf
8) Hyland

Hyland is a super fun Sandhills course for the price.

I'm dying to play the redo of #4. That was already a fun course, although clearly behind #2 in my opinion (only from a golf perspective, #4 was always a more attractive walk). Seems like if you add the look/feel of #2 to the routing or #4 it'd be a hell of a course.

I liked #2 so much more before the redo. Those greens with that rough made it one of the toughest (and most fun) courses in America. Now you can blast Driver into hardpan sand areas and often have an easy wedge/short iron you can put plenty of spin on. I remember playing in the North/South Junior a week or two before the US Open as a kid and having to play for 10-20 yards of run whenever you were in the rough. Not anymore. The last US Open certainly is a good example of how much easier it is as well. Some people like easier/more birdies though, I guess. For a US Open course, I want carnage, or the chance for carnage.

I played Southern Pines within a day or two of them breaking ground and then again the first day it officially reopened. I like most of what they did but it’s not ever going to be on the Mid Pines/Needles level.

My top five public courses in the pines are

1. Pine Needles
4. Mid Pines
5. Mid South (worked there for a couple summers and have a bunch of great memories)

Last time I played Longleaf I almost had a hole in one on that par 3 that borders Midland Road. It wouldn’t have been the most scenic hole for an ace but it’s just about the only one I could drive past thousands of times for the rest of my life and say to whoever is in the car “got a hole in one there”. Opportunity missed.

I liked #2 so much more before the redo. Those greens with that rough made it one of the toughest (and most fun) courses in America. Now you can blast Driver into hardpan sand areas and often have an easy wedge/short iron you can put plenty of spin on. I remember playing in the North/South Junior a week or two before the US Open as a kid and having to play for 10-20 yards of run whenever you were in the rough. Not anymore. The last US Open certainly is a good example of how much easier it is as well. Some people like easier/more birdies though, I guess. For a US Open course, I want carnage, or the chance for carnage.

Funny, having played tourneys there before and after the redo I couldn't disagree more... To each their own. 3 guys shot even or better there at the last Open, in 2020 two guys did at Winged Foot, bunch of guys did at Torrey, tons did at Pebble. Shinnecock was harder but really only because they lost the golf course for half of the 3rd round. Even Oakmont played easier. US Am medal play featured like 2 under par rounds total or something like that with basically every round on #4 being under par. Have also heard pros in person describe #2 as having always been maybe the greatest collection of greens in the country but that it used to be boring as hell off the tee because you could always play some kind of approach from the rough. Now those areas can put you in a plant, in an awful lie, etc. - you're taking a much bigger risk just bombing it into the waste areas. I will say that initially after the redo there wasn't actually that much sand and the plants were smaller, later they added way more sand and the ice plants or whatever those are grew and impact far more shots than they did originally.

A few of us are returning for Homecoming next weekend and the Duke game. I had us lined up with a round at Old Town on the morning of 10/29, but the member had to leave town and can no longer host. Can anyone on here host three of us either at Old Town or Sedgefield? I'd really appreciate it. We would be happy to pay all our own charges obviously.

I belong to Baltimore Country Club and would be happy to reciprocate anytime. The East Course is pretty special. Send me a PM. Thanks in advance.

I feel ok with my DC public course rotation of Whiskey Creek, Potomac Shores, Worthington Manor, Blue Mash, Lake Presidential, etc plus I get invites out to Belle Haven and Chevy every now and then. A friend of mine's (super duper rich) dad is a member at Chevy, Congressional, and Burning Tree. He keeps promising me a round at the latter two but we'll see if that ever happens.
I played Whiskey Creek and Worthington Manor all the time growing up. Our biggest HS rival had Whiskey Creek as their home course. Senior year I started my round with 3 pars, then I had a decent tee shot near the left portion of the fairway but I couldn’t locate the ball after 5mins so I hiked back up to the tee box. Naturally I worried about pace of play and forgot to breathe before hitting my next shot into the ravine below. Ended up with a 14 on the hole and a 50 for 9 holes.

Long shot... but... I have 2 tickets to the Saturday round of the Presidents Cup in Charlotte next fall and would like to trade them for tickets on Friday... PM me if anyone here has Friday tix and wants to trade...

Buddy just asked me up to play his Course at Forest Creek in April.
Haven't been to Pinehurst in years. Anybody know anything about the Courses?

I've only played the north course at Forest Creek, on a somewhat dreary day in late November, but it was still an enjoyable experience (partly because we saw very few other golfers out there that day, so pace was excellent). It is definitely one of the best private clubs in the area.

South is the better course (Fazio). Grab a drink in the locker room. Very cool place overall. I played a couple of years ago. Headed back in a month or so. It’s a great course.

Played a round Friday and one of the guys in our group was demoing the Stealth. Hit it twice and holy shit that face is HOT. Blew one OB through the fairway on a dog leg left where "normal" is a worst case first cut if you miss the landing area, was easily 30-35 yards past that. Literally a "uh, holy shit" reaction as soon as I hit it.

Played a round Friday and one of the guys in our group was demoing the Stealth. Hit it twice and holy shit that face is HOT. Blew one OB through the fairway on a dog leg left where "normal" is a worst case first cut if you miss the landing area, was easily 30-35 yards past that. Literally a "uh, holy shit" reaction as soon as I hit it.

Which driver are you playing now?

From what I understand, there really can't be much difference year-to-year now on driver center contact given the smash factor limit. It is mishits that are a real big difference. Unless you have a really old driver or a setup not right for you (shaft, etc) 30+ yard difference is absolutely massive, I mean some guys would kill for a yard or two more. Are you playing persimmon lol.

Back