• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

My swing speed averages 113 with the big stick over a 30 ball set. The guy at GG swears I need an XS shaft, but my good friend says he has same swing speed, got fitted for an XS shaft, and couldn't get it 10 feet off the ground, leading to him selling his newly fit driver after 2 round of play. Any experience being right on that S/XS line and which direction you went with?

I'm right around you in terms of swing speed and my club fitter had me try 90% XS vs 10% S. Much better results from the XS.

My swing speed averages 113 with the big stick over a 30 ball set. The guy at GG swears I need an XS shaft, but my good friend says he has same swing speed, got fitted for an XS shaft, and couldn't get it 10 feet off the ground, leading to him selling his newly fit driver after 2 round of play. Any experience being right on that S/XS line and which direction you went with?

Swing speed is only one component. You also need to consider tempo, transistion (re whether quick/jerky or smoother) and other factors. If you have reservations, go to another fitter for another opinion. You just need to go with what gives you the best numbers and what feels the best.

Swing speed is only one component. You also need to consider tempo, transistion (re whether quick/jerky or smoother) and other factors. If you have reservations, go to another fitter for another opinion. You just need to go with what gives you the best numbers and what feels the best.

I guess that was my mistake, the guy just told me what I needed and "hit best" without providing data and feedback. Probably just need to start the process over from scratch. Anyone have a recommended fitter or process outside of GG?

Scotland itinerary pretty set for Aug/Sept. 2019 and I am pretty psyched

4 nights in Turnberry playing:
Troon Old,
Prestwick
Turnberry Ailsa

4 nights in St. Andrews playing
St. Andrews - New
Carnoustie - Championship
Kingbarns
St. Andrews - Old (by lottery or possibly by getting in line super early one day - if I have to stay an extra night to get on I will)

If I can get on Muirfield I will consider staying an extra day for that before flying out of Edinburgh to come home - let me know if anyone has any connections there...
I am also trying to figure out the logistics and cost of going a little early and trying to get on Gleneagles and/or Western Gailes. This will likely be my only trip over there so I might as well squeeze in as many top courses as I can. I don't think I can squeeze in the time to get up to Royal Dornoch or the other really good ones that are way north...

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions or tips...

Scotland itinerary pretty set for Aug/Sept. 2019 and I am pretty psyched

4 nights in Turnberry playing:
Troon Old,
Prestwick
Turnberry Ailsa

4 nights in St. Andrews playing
St. Andrews - New
Carnoustie - Championship
Kingbarns
St. Andrews - Old (by lottery or possibly by getting in line super early one day - if I have to stay an extra night to get on I will)

If I can get on Muirfield I will consider staying an extra day for that before flying out of Edinburgh to come home - let me know if anyone has any connections there...
I am also trying to figure out the logistics and cost of going a little early and trying to get on Gleneagles and/or Western Gailes. This will likely be my only trip over there so I might as well squeeze in as many top courses as I can. I don't think I can squeeze in the time to get up to Royal Dornoch or the other really good ones that are way north...

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions or tips...

Send liquid Karma a PM.

Second this. Also good advice I once got was get the shaft that will work best when you’re a little worn down. If you can swing an XS off first tee that’s great but if you wear down and can’t keep the speed up then it’s hurting you more than it’s helping.

Looking for a place in Charlotte to play on Friday. Is Ballantyne still considered the best public course?

We should get together and play something (assuming you live in Charlotte)

I live in DC but have been casually looking for jobs in Charlotte for six months. Hoping to get down there at some point.

Coming into town this weekend to play in the Moosters. Two other friends are coming from San Fran so the three of us are trying to play someone Friday afternoon while the Charlotte guy is at work.

Any recommendations for courses in the Boone area? Going up there with a few guys in a couple weeks. Right now looking st Boone golf club and mountain air. Private courses welcomed if you can hook us up with a tee time.

Any recommendations for courses in the Boone area? Going up there with a few guys in a couple weeks. Right now looking st Boone golf club and mountain air. Private courses welcomed if you can hook us up with a tee time.

It’s been ten years, but I remember enjoying Boone Country Club. Public course.

Lot of high end private. Not much public. Not sure if public or semi private but Jefferson Landing in Jefferson is really good. And consider red tail in mountain city tn.

Lot of high end private. Not much public. Not sure if public or semi private but Jefferson Landing in Jefferson is really good. And consider red tail in mountain city tn.

Unfortunately red tail is closed for renovations until about the week after we're up there.

Mountain Aire near West Jefferson (I assume that is the one you mean) is a lot of fun. It is not the greatest course in the world or the most immaculate - but it is true mountain golf. That means a little quirky but fun. There are a few tees where you hit your drive and then watch it fly for what seems like 5 minutes. The people are friendly and it is cheap.

Got my round in at StreamSong Black on Sunday on the back end of my honeymoon. Also got the first 7 holes of Blue in before the wife made me come in to keep her company. As fun of a day of golf as I’ve ever had. Black is a blast, and the greens are insane. 78 with 38 putts?!!??!! Helped that I hit the ball well. Would highly recommend, I’ll try and get some pictures up

Mountain Aire near West Jefferson (I assume that is the one you mean) is a lot of fun. It is not the greatest course in the world or the most immaculate - but it is true mountain golf. That means a little quirky but fun. There are a few tees where you hit your drive and then watch it fly for what seems like 5 minutes. The people are friendly and it is cheap.

Yes - we don't have a plane to go land at the one near Asheville.

Ended up starting the whole process over again and purchased the Rogue Sub Zero. Even flow blue stiff shaft 65. Very pleasant experience this time around.

Now, onto my wedges. My PW is 46 degree loft. My plan moving forward is a 50/54/58 combo. I take a pretty large divot and have a steep swing. I'm looking at the Titleist SM6 wedges with 10-12 bounce and F-grind. Does that sound correct?

Back