• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Finishing up planning my August trip to Scotland with three friends. Right now we are flying into Inverness and playing Royal Dornoch three times, Trump Aberdeen, Carnoustie, Kingsbarnes, Castle Course, St. Andrews New then flying out of Edinburgh.

Played yesterday for the first time in 2018, after finishing last year playing the best golf of my life. 2nd to last round was a 67. I shot 85 yesterday, and had 3 cold shanks. Fortunately, my partner shot 73, so I didn't lose too much money.

Went to the range afterwards and had about 25 more shanks, before I hopefully, finally figured something out. Pretty alarmed.

Hated having to pass on golf on a mid-60's, sunny January day yesterday (those don't come around too often), but still a bunch of snow on the ground around here. :(

I played on Saturday. For the first nine holes you couldn't even get a tee in the ground but once the top inch unfroze the course was treacherous. I wiped out twice going down like 10 degree slopes. I had to shuffle for the last four holes to avoid tearing my ACL.

This past summer I played in the Member Guest at the Colorado Golf Club out in Denver. My partner and I finished as runners up out of 96 teams. CGC uses caddies, and our caddy was a high school kid that my partner requested. Kid was great—a green-reading wizard, great manners, good sense of humor. Back in the fall, he contacted me (we kept in touch) and asked me to write a recommendation for him as he was applying for the famous Chick Evans Caddie Scholarship. I did, and found out today that he was awarded a full ride to CU-Boulder. Pretty pumped about that.

And yes, I made plenty of Danny Noonan jokes...

Anyone buying any new equipment this year? I'm well overdue for a new driver, gonna try and test out a few in the next few weeks. Specifically the Callaway Rogue and Epic. Hoping the Epic drops in price now but not holding my breath.

Anyone buying any new equipment this year? I'm well overdue for a new driver, gonna try and test out a few in the next few weeks. Specifically the Callaway Rogue and Epic. Hoping the Epic drops in price now but not holding my breath.

I got a new driver 2.5 years ago. I went to a club fitting place and tried Taylor Made (what I had), Callaway, Titleist, Ping and something random (Cobra?). I swear that every driver felt better than the Titleist off the club head but it went 12 yards longer so it was a no brainer. I never would have picked it without the computer showing me spin rate, traj, distance, etc.

Basically what I'm saying is do a fitting with computer assistance. Makes a big difference.

I got a new driver 2.5 years ago. I went to a club fitting place and tried Taylor Made (what I had), Callaway, Titleist, Ping and something random (Cobra?). I swear that every driver felt better than the Titleist off the club head but it went 12 yards longer so it was a no brainer. I never would have picked it without the computer showing me spin rate, traj, distance, etc.

Basically what I'm saying is do a fitting with computer assistance. Makes a big difference.

Yeah I plan to do just that, I've been upgrading my bag slowly, 2 years ago with new irons, last year new putter and 3 wood, and I've gotten fitted for each of them. Definitely makes a big difference, I like to see how I hit stuff on an outdoor range also but the computer shows you so much information these days you can't pass that up.

I had a video lesson last weekend and holy hell did it make a difference. Wish I'd done that years ago and highly recommend - especially for visual learners.

Can confirm. It's all about if you want to change your swing to fit the club or pick the club that fits your swing.

Taylormade has been about hitting a ball high off the face and the ball knuckling in the air which was a big difference from Titleist I tried. Wouldn't have even come close to knowing that without the launch monitor data.

I've been a loyal Titleist guy for a long time, but hit Sleepy's M2 a couple weeks ago and really liked it. Looking forward to the demo days this coming spring to try out some M2 and M3 rigs.

Finally time to put my old AP2's to rest this year. Longest I've ever had a set of irons in my bag - 4 full seasons. Will probably replace them with... New AP2's. Really want to try them with some of the lower flight Nippon shaft options.

Finally time to put my old AP2's to rest this year. Longest I've ever had a set of irons in my bag - 4 full seasons. Will probably replace them with... New AP2's. Really want to try them with some of the lower flight Nippon shaft options.

I've got some AP2 715s. Love them. This is the year I need to get new wedges to go with a new driver.

I have been using some Ping G5's for a while and was thinking about making the move the current model. Anybody get/hit the Ping G400's or a G30's? I hit Ping Eye 2's forever and then went to G5's so not that I would need to stick with the brand but haven't had any equipment complaints. Daylight savings can't get here soon enough.

No love for the new AP3s? I'm still rocking the Nike Vapor Pros but the AP3s at least look tempting

I've been a loyal Titleist guy for a long time, but hit Sleepy's M2 a couple weeks ago and really liked it. Looking forward to the demo days this coming spring to try out some M2 and M3 rigs.

Was coming to this thread to ask if anyone had hit the M3 or M4 yet. I've stayed with the original M2 for the last 2 years and it's the best driver i've every had. Looking forward to see what the new models are like. If it's like i'm expecting i'll probably go with the M4. I've never been the guy who needs to set up the weights to hit it where I want so the M2 and M4 have always been the better option for me.

I've got some AP2 715s. Love them. This is the year I need to get new wedges to go with a new driver.

I got Apex Pro's last year and really like them but the AP2's were awesome. AP2's were a hair longer and on second look I probably wish i'd had gone with them but they are both a great club. Lot of awesome sticks out there right now.

How has the epic been? Can you really tell a difference with the jailbreak?

How has the epic been? Can you really tell a difference with the jailbreak?

I love it. I'm a 15 and had the Callaway Fusion driver (I think that was what it was called) from about 5 years ago. I added about 15 yards of distance with the Epic. Even with the added distance, it's still very forgiving as well. It's a great club.

Back