• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller named Head Coach at Cincinnati

UNC-G is now in 1st place in the SoCon North. Hell of a job by Wes Miller. Somebody to watch.

I listened to a former Duke player tell me during the UNCG game today that Wes would be his choice to replace Coach K.

Wes is an excellent young coach. We probably have already missed the opportunity to hire him as I wanted to do before last season.

He turned 29 today and because of that has a chance to make a run at 800+ wins.

^Now that's a little over the top.

Wake would be in a good position to hire him in a year or two I would think.

I hope we have not missed it but I fear that we might have.

We stiffed the guy as a walk on. Then this whole board laughed in his face when he was mentioned for our job.

It's kind of hard to expect him to think all that will be forgotten when there will be top 10 programs knocking at his door real soon.

He was not remotely qualified when we hired [Redacted].

Still isn't.

The guy has been a head coach for a month. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Right now, he is still a huge reach for a major program.

And he wasn't seriously mentioned for the job.

We just disagree on Wes.

I told you so then and I'm just noting it again now. Disagreements are allowed. Some people win. Some people lose.

Right now we have a way overqualified coach and we're losing.

Overqualified? He has coached in one NCAA tournament game.

Coach K was 33 and had a bad record at Army for a few years when hired at Duke.

Dean Smith was 30 and had no D-1 head coaching experience whatsoever when hired at UNC.

Wes has won a national championship, has been going to 3 ACC games a week since he was 5, has spent every day of his life since Age 18 focused on coaching and now has coached at 3 different D1 schools.

I think Wes is every bit as qualified as those two were and they worked out pretty well.

There's a lot to be said for hiring a young person these days. The upside is higher and the hunger is there.

But what do I know about that?

Both Dean Smith and Coach K had significantly more experience when hired than Wes Miller has now and much, much more than he had when [Redacted] was hired. I highly doubt that he expected to be on Wake's radar. Maybe in another year or two though.

Bz has done enough damage that it's hard to think we'll get much better than another retread or a promising young coach, likely assistant.

My school! Haha, I need to go check out a game soon.

This Thursday at the Coliseum vs. The Citadel.

I knew this team had some talent. My son is a G grad and follows them closely, knows several current and former players. We both said last year that this year should be much better with all the returning players they had but Dement wasn't getting it done. After a bright start, his career really fizzled.

There's some talent on the G, just not a great deal of size. The one big they have suffers from exercise induced asthma which limits his time and potential for improvement. The one big-time player they have is Trevis Simpson, shooting guard, small forward type. He's proving that the three star ranking he had in high school was one too low.

He's got serious game and elevates as well as anyone. Sure hope they extend the streak to 7 on Thursday.

Last edited:
Donald Ross must have been out of town to take that long to reply to a Wes Miller thread...

He is by far the most realistic candidate out of those typically mentioned here. There are coaches we discuss here whom I would rather have, but I don't believe they're coming.

Back