• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller named Head Coach at Cincinnati

Let's do Cody Miller-Mcintyre as player-coach instead.

I wouldn't be shocked to see VT move on Wes. I'd say it's at least 90% certain Seth will be fired.

The chances of any ACC school moving on Wes Miller this year is somewhere south of slim and fucking none.

The more I read about Wes I like him. There are some coaches that have it, and then there are the rest of them. You can tell who the special ones are right away. They are born seeing the game a different way. A guy like Wes certainly has a history that would lead to a good coach. I would not doubt him just because of his age. I will continue to do more research, but this is exactly the kind of hire the we need to make. Low expectation, low salary, young, with great potential.

Bringing in an old guy to coach X's and O's is so overrated. In all honesty I could coach circles around some of these college coaches when it comes to strategy, but most people don't have the commitment level to the game (I sure didn't, which is why I got out). Age has nothing to do with calling a good game. If you teach a good game in practice, and you prepared your team properly then calling a good game is second nature. Don't get so hung up on bringing in an old fogey to help mentor him. Either Wes can do the job or he can't. We don't need an internship program for our head coach.

If I am the AD and I am convinced that Wes Miller can do the job, then I let him pick his entire staff without input. The worst thing we did for Bz was have him take the assistants of Dino. A coaching staff is a family, and you have to have guys that love and trust your decisions. They might be the most talented bunch of assistants on the planet, but if they won't back you 100% of the time (EVEN WHEN YOU ARE WRONG), then they don't need to be on your staff.

I almost NEVER say this, but it is Bzout time for Wake. And a guy like Wes Miller holds a LOT of intrigue to me personally. I will certainly be keeping my eye on him, and I hope that Wellman is doing the same with Wes or other young coaches like him. When you do the rebuilding that we are going to have to do, you have to mix your hire up and start with something new and fresh. Nothing better than hiring a young coach, with great enthusiasm who can be an instant connection.

Obviously this is all predicated on Wes being able to do the job. I will see if I can catch a UNC-G game before the year is over and take a look at his team. Post here on this thread if there is a game on (perhaps during the SoCon tourney).

Good post, Wrangor. I really liked this:

"A coaching staff is a family"

That was a huge red flag for me and you phrased it well. Bz didn't have a family. How can somebody coach all those years and not have a staff to bring with him or people he could call up to join him.

Good college coaches are workaholics. If they aren't then they probably aren't any good. That is just the reality of it. If I was a single man I would still be coaching and would be married to the job, but I am not, I have a wife and two beautiful kids. There are married guys that can do it, but the reality is that the team becomes just as much of your family as your wife and kids. You spend the large majority of your waking hours with your staff, and in an emotional invested game like basketball it either takes it toll, or builds incredible relationships. In my case it built incredible relationships, but came at the expense of me starting my own family.

I couldn't believe that the old staff was staying in place when Bz came. Terrible decision by Wellman. Possibly a worse decision than hiring Bz in the first place. You don't pick out a man's family, and that is exactly what Wellman did.

So the SoCon tournament starts on March the 2nd. My guess is we might be able to find one of UNC-G's games on TV during that time. Are any of their other games going to be televised?

So the SoCon tournament starts on March the 2nd. My guess is we might be able to find one of UNC-G's games on TV during that time. Are any of their other games going to be televised?

Ironically the SoCon has a tv network. Nationally only the title game will be on tv.
I'm headed to the tournament

Good college coaches are workaholics. If they aren't then they probably aren't any good. That is just the reality of it. If I was a single man I would still be coaching and would be married to the job, but I am not, I have a wife and two beautiful kids. There are married guys that can do it, but the reality is that the team becomes just as much of your family as your wife and kids. You spend the large majority of your waking hours with your staff, and in an emotional invested game like basketball it either takes it toll, or builds incredible relationships. In my case it built incredible relationships, but came at the expense of me starting my own family.

I couldn't believe that the old staff was staying in place when Bz came. Terrible decision by Wellman. Possibly a worse decision than hiring Bz in the first place. You don't pick out a man's family, and that is exactly what Wellman did.

Like a crazy old Korean grandmother, Wellman knows best.

Wrangor is the man, and always has been in my time on the board. Unfortunately for all of us, Wrangor has had too cool and calm a head to chime in much on the Bz situation until now. If we'd had his insight earlier, and if Wellman read his posts, we might have avoided all the heartache, angst, anger, mock offrontery, silly "buzzin" correctness, disgusting name calling and anonymous internet posturing about our now irrelevant men's basketball program.

Thanks Wrangor for bringing us a refreshing, grown-up post for a change.

Me chiming in has nothing to do with the outcome :) (and for good reason considering I am just a redneck farmer living in Mississippi), but thanks for the ego padding. I certainly hate to see a coach fired for any reason to be honest. Having put bread on the table for 4 years in the industry I realize all too well the angst that comes along with the job. Now I was never making ACC money, so that might have relieved some of my nervousness, but the threat of being let go and never finding work again doing what you love is always there for almost any coach. Bz would be much better off back as an assistant in the NBA. He simply isn't cut out to be a college coach in my opinion. I wish him no ill will, but I just don't see it happening for him at Wake. Wellman screwed him from the beginning, and he doesn't have the coaching talent to overcome it. A better coach might be able to break through and turn this around, but I don't think Bz is that guy. Just my opinion.

I have heard from some people that Dement's teaching and schemes were just way to complicated for the guys on the team...As in they were too worried about always being in the exact right place, making the exact right screen, etc...as opposed to just playing some basketball. Once Wes took control he simplified the schemes and told the guys to have fun out there.

He is making 45K right now (the same salary he was making as a asst.). I would love for us to go after him. If we can shake Bzzz after next year and Wes has a solid full year as UNCG's head coach from day one, he would be a exciting get for our program.

I have heard from some people that Dement's teaching and schemes were just way to complicated for the guys on the team...As in they were too worried about always being in the exact right place, making the exact right screen, etc...as opposed to just playing some basketball. Once Wes took control he simplified the schemes and told the guys to have fun out there.

He is making 45K right now (the same salary he was making as a asst.). I would love for us to go after him. If we can shake Bzzz after next year and Wes has a solid full year as UNCG's head coach from day one, he would be a exciting get for our program.

Sounds familiar.

Should we just cross out "John Pelphrey" on the petition and insert "Wes Miller"

Who is safeguarding the document?

So [Redacted] had zero say or input in who he hired as assistants? I find that hard to believe. If that were the case... why not stay in Boulder? It's not like he received a huge salary bump to take the Wake job.

So [Redacted] had zero say or input in who he hired as assistants? I find that hard to believe. If that were the case... why not stay in Boulder? It's not like he received a huge salary bump to take the Wake job.

Stay in Boulder- get fired after last year when the team didn't make the NCAAs. Go to Wake- buy yourself at least 1 (if not 2-3) extra years before the AD cans you.

Wake is a far better position historically than Colorado and I do think he received a rather sizable increase in pay.

Back