• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller named Head Coach at Cincinnati

[Redacted] taking the Wake Forest job wasn't too terribly different from Haith taking the Missouri job. Probably not a huge bump in pay despite higher expectations, but more security. [Redacted] probably had 2 more seasons to Haith's 1 though.

[Redacted] taking the Wake Forest job wasn't too terribly different from Haith taking the Missouri job. Probably not a huge bump in pay despite higher expectations, but more security. [Redacted] probably had 2 more seasons to Haith's 1 though.

When you leave Colorado for Wake Forest..you're leaving because it's a job promotion.

I feel dumber having read this thread.

Probably need to pump the brakes a tad on the Wes Miller jockeying, but the past few pages of this thread have featured the most reasonable discussion I've read to date on this board about [Redacted] and Wellman.

I couldn't believe that the old staff was staying in place when Bz came. Terrible decision by Wellman. Possibly a worse decision than hiring Bz in the first place. You don't pick out a man's family, and that is exactly what Wellman did.

I agree with virtually everything Wrangor has said with the exception of this, to the extent that I actually believe Wellman when he says that he did not require [Redacted] to keep all the assistants. But I do think the fact that he knew [Redacted] would be likely to keep all the assistants was one of the reasons Wellman hired him. Subtle distinction. But the main thing is that I wouldn't place all that blame on Wellman. I agree with PhDeac that it simply shows the journeyman nature of [Redacted]'s career that he didn't have a staff that he felt compelled to bring with him to Wake Forest.

Probably need to pump the brakes a tad on the Wes Miller jockeying, but the past few pages of this thread have featured the most reasonable discussion I've read to date on this board about [Redacted] and Wellman.

Okay, I'll give it another go, but seeing PHDeac justify a Wes Miller hire made me lose gas.

jaybone, as wrong as you've been and continue to be, I still read your posts. If you want to put me on ignore, I have no problem with that.

When you leave Colorado for Wake Forest..you're leaving because it's a job promotion.

That's a reason to come, but it isn't the only reason to come given [Redacted]'s situation (3 losing seasons in a row, the prospect of not having the pieces to compete at a high level despite a returning Big 12 ROY), especially from a guy who spent 8-9 years living in the Denver area.

Again, it isn't at all unlike Haith. He basically took identical money, but lowered his risk a bit.

jaybone, as wrong as you've been and continue to be, I still read your posts. If you want to put me on ignore, I have no problem with that.

I actually meant it as a compliment, PH. I've grown to - gad - admire most of your posts, so to see you seriously consider Wes Miller sent me over the deep end.

Having gone back through the thread, Wes Miller might make a great hire ... in two or three years after he's gone out recruiting for a few years. Then he's your 31/32 year old hire a la Coach K and Dean. But I don't think you have to fear K or Roy leaving in the next two years and Duke is going to hand their coaching job to someone whose name ends in a vowel.

Or ... if Battle leaves, maybe he is a guy you bring in as an assistant, if he'd take the job.

Having gone back through the thread, Wes Miller might make a great hire ... in two or three years after he's gone out recruiting for a few years. Then he's your 31/32 year old hire a la Coach K and Dean. But I don't think you have to fear K or Roy leaving in the next two years and Duke is going to hand their coaching job to someone whose name ends in a vowel.

Or ... if Battle leaves, maybe he is a guy you bring in as an assistant, if he'd take the job.

Agree.

Would be a great candidate for a #2 assistant position. It would represent a significant pay jump (from $40k to ~$100k) and would be appropriate for his level of experience.

I don't think we need someone who has been coaching for 35 years, but it's a little crazy to go after someone who's only been coaching for 5-6 years.

That's a reason to come, but it isn't the only reason to come given [Redacted]'s situation (3 losing seasons in a row, the prospect of not having the pieces to compete at a high level despite a returning Big 12 ROY), especially from a guy who spent 8-9 years living in the Denver area.

Again, it isn't at all unlike Haith. He basically took identical money, but lowered his risk a bit.

At the time [Redacted] left CU, there was no indication the Buffaloes wouldn't be staying in the B12. CU was the least attractive school for basketball in that conference.

Plus the state of Colorado rarely produces (yes it happened this year) Top 100 players. This makes it even more difficult to recruit there.

Haith basically had to leave Miami and got bailed out. The combination of the ongoing investigation and his failure to do anything with the program made his demise pretty much inevitable. He got very lucky.

At the time [Redacted] left CU, there was no indication the Buffaloes wouldn't be staying in the B12. CU was the least attractive school for basketball in that conference.

Plus the state of Colorado rarely produces (yes it happened this year) Top 100 players. This makes it even more difficult to recruit there.

Haith basically had to leave Miami and got bailed out. The combination of the ongoing investigation and his failure to do anything with the program made his demise pretty much inevitable. He got very lucky.

As far as I know, no one knew about the investigation at the time.

They are very similar story-lines. I am not bashing either Haith or [Redacted], just making an obvious observation. They were both hired by good but not great programs after leading historically poor basketball programs in 'lifestyle areas' to pretty mediocre results.

Biggest difference is probably that Florida does produce more talent, but Miami has a lot more competition for local recruits since there are many more D1 programs in Florida and on the east coast in general.

A lot more kids would like to Miami for school than Boulder.

To be hoenst with you, I was stunned he got the Mizzou job after his tenure at Miami. Plus Haith had been at Miami much longer than [Redacted] had been at CU.

A lot more kids would like to Miami for school than Boulder.

To be hoenst with you, I was stunned he got the Mizzou job after his tenure at Miami. Plus Haith had been at Miami much longer than [Redacted] had been at CU.

I was too. I was almost certain that it was NCAA or bust for Haith this year.

All I am saying is that an increased level of security might have played a major role in [Redacted]'s decision to move across the country for probably not much more money. If you disagree then agree to disagree.

Ideally that's true. But if there's a chance he'll be gone, potentially at a better job, then you take the chance and get him early. Much of the discussion of getting him next year obviously stems from a desire to get Bz out as soon as possible.

I was too. I was almost certain that it was NCAA or bust for Haith this year.

All I am saying is that an increased level of security might have played a major role in [Redacted]'s decision to move across the country for probably not much more money. If you disagree then agree to disagree.

I think he saw what Skip and Dino and done and thought he do better. Also, Wake is an infinitely better job than CU.

Colorado is no less attractive than Texas Tech or Iowa State or Nebraska.

The key for Wes at Wake could be what Jeff Battle decides to do at the end of the season. If Jeff leaves, we have a choice to make- Wes or Chill.

In my opinion Wes probably isn't ready, but he would probably make for a better product immediately then Bz, and in 2-3 years we might really have something. I hate the idea of hiring him as an assistant. He is goin to be offered at least 1 D1 head coaching job (UNCG) this offseason if not more. No way he takes an assistant job if he has he chance to run the show for a D1 program. And he DEFINITELY won't take an assistant job at e worst school in the ACC. I think if we want him we have to make a run at him this year. If not my guess is that he doesn't end up in black and gold.

Back