• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller named Head Coach at Cincinnati

WCU is a neat story. 4-10 in the conference they win their last 4 games and 3 in the tourney to make the finals.

Also funny is that Davidson was the only team from their division to make the semis.

I was watching Wes last night from the corner section behind the UNCG bench. I really liked the way he handled himself. G immediately went down 9-0, but he stayed calm and passed that on to his team. UNCG could never get over the hump, though, and took some bad/rushed shots down the stretch when they could have used a little more patience.

There were several WCU fans acting like drunken fools toward the end, taunting the UNCG section. That is the downside of serving beer in the arena (but at least they've got some good microbrews on tap, including some local stuff).

Why is this thread 243 posts? :cliffs:
Wes Miller took over for UNCG earlier in the year, turned them around from a door mat to first in their division. Some want him to be hired as coach, others as an assistant. He will be a good coach somewhere big, maybe Wake someday.

Wes Miller took over for UNCG earlier in the year, turned them around from a door mat to first in their division. Some want him to be hired as coach, others as an assistant. He will be a good coach somewhere big, maybe Wake someday.

I don't see him ever coaching at Wake. I imagine UNC is his dream job and he'd never leave Wake for UNC. He'll have plenty of choices to coach besides where is dad is a huge donor. Maybe Wake's his dream job after all. In that case he'll probably suck hard .

I would guess UNCG gives Miller a little more money before next year.

Yep, I'm hearing Wes will be offered the UNC-G job tomorrow. I think he's certainly earned it and that is a good spot for him to get some experience before moving on to a bigger job in 2-5 years. I think he's going to be a great coach, but needs more experience before moving to a bigger conference.

I don't see him ever coaching at Wake. I imagine UNC is his dream job and he'd never leave Wake for UNC. He'll have plenty of choices to coach besides where is dad is a huge donor. Maybe Wake's his dream job after all. In that case he'll probably suck hard .
From what others have said he was a huge Wake fan growing up. And it's hard to imagine UNC hiring an alum any time soon after the Doherty debacle. But he will probably be at UNCG for the foreseeable future to build his name on a more national level.

I still say we are blowing such an obvious play here. Think of the excitement we could generate by firing Bzz and hiring Wes this offseason. By waiting, we just pass up an opportunity that might not come again.

I said it in 2010 and I am saying it now. Hire Wes Miller before it is too late.

I still say we are blowing such an obvious play here. Think of the excitement we could generate by firing Bzz and hiring Wes this offseason. By waiting, we just pass up an opportunity that might not come again.

I said it in 2010 and I am saying it now. Hire Wes Miller before it is too late.

I agree that we need to fire Bzz, but don't think Wes has enough experience at this point. I think Wes is going to be an outstanding coach in the future, but he's not ready for an ACC job. With that said, I'd take Wes over Bzzz right now, but I think we could get someone who is a little more of a sure thing.

I agree that we need to fire Bzz, but don't think Wes has enough experience at this point. I think Wes is going to be an outstanding coach in the future, but he's not ready for an ACC job. With that said, I'd take Wes over Bzzz right now, but I think we could get someone who is a little more of a sure thing.
\

Shaka

Since it's still not close to being too late, your advice is likely to be respected yet again.

Most people ignore my advice. Which is great for my business. But in this case horrible for the long-term future of my favorite team.

"I am pleased to invite you to join us for a special event to announce the next Men's Basketball Head Coach at UNCG. The event will take place at 4:30 pm today at The Terrace. The Terrace is located between the Greensboro Coliseum and War Memorial Auditorium. This event will be open to the public and families are welcome. We hope you will be able to join us for this important day for UNCG Athletics and the Greensboro Community. If you are unable to attend the event at the Terrace, please visit uncgspartans.com for live updates.

Our plan is to also hold an event on campus later in the semester to provide an opportunity for our campus community to meet our new coach.

Go Spartans!

Kim Record
Director of Athletics"

People on here say that we can't get someone like Smart or Stevens because the landscape has changed. Mid Majors can now pay quite a bit for their coaches and in many cases it is a better situation for that coach to remain there and wait for a top ten type job than jump to a place like Wake. If that's the case, then we need to find our own young coach like Butler and VCU did and run with it. We can't say well, Miller doesn't have enough experience for the ACC because if he's the real deal, he'll move on to a Butler/VCU situation and then be untouchable for us. I know he has a close relationship with the school, but I wouldn't count on that pulling him in if he ever enjoys success like Stevens or Smart.

Many years ago Duke took a chance on a young (not incredibly successful) coach. Duke had gone to the NCAA Finals just a couple of years before K was hired, but that didn't stop them from giving him the job. They felt he was the right guy. They didn't say "get more experience and we'll talk to you in a few years". If we think Miller is the right guy, we should get him NOW. Let's take a chance on having a coach around for thirty plus years who will develop a brand around our program and leave with his name on the court.

Some interesting takes a decade ago. Glad y’all were so in to hiring that old guy [Redacted]! Worked out nicely!

Simpson was on the bench in street clothes last night with an injury and they still won by 15.

Kim Record is a moron. I hear Wes is a candidate for the about to be open UCLA job. We are morons if we don't scoop him up right now.

How are we going to get Wes from UCLA? WE MISSED OUR CHANCE!

The chances of any ACC school moving on Wes Miller this year is somewhere south of slim and fucking none.
Chalk one up for me in 2012!
I just think he moves pretty quickly if he is as good as advertised. If he isn't as good as advertised then we don't want him anyway. Either way in my opinin we don't end up with him. We might be able to wait a year and see what he does at UNC-G, but at that point he is more expensive and there are more suitors.

Like I said in the last post. Even though Wes probably isn't ready, I still think he would do a better job than Bz at this point in getting our program back on track. My guess is that Wes really isn't even on Wellman's reality wishlist right now, and we are all just enjoying a thread of pipedreams, but it is kind of fun to speculate and figure out if Wes would make a good fit. I really want to see UNC - G play now though...that is for sure.

Wrangor thinks Wes ain’t shit because he is still at UNCG 8 years later.

Back