• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller named Head Coach at Cincinnati

Not exactly deja vu, but something like it.

Good luck to Wes. Maybe we'll hire him in 3-4 years when Calipari retires and Kentucky steals Forbes from us and pays his $15 million buyout to Wake.

Chalk one up for me in 2012!

Wrangor thinks Wes ain’t shit because he is still at UNCG 8 years later.

Exactly right. Wake was never going to hire him. Steve Forbes is a better coach than Wes--just look at their comparable records in the same exact conference.
24-27-25-24 & 30 [unfinished season] wins and 14-14-14-13-16 for an overall 71-19 conference record.

Miller: 15-25-27-29-23 and 10-14-15-15-13 for an overall 67-23 conference record. Those are the facts. Plus there is no chance at all he will be UNC's coach when Roy finally retires. That is a pipe dream.

Wes Miller, after a rocky start to the year, is back in the big dance against FSU on Saturday. A tough draw for sure, but Isaiah Miller, the guard, is really really good.

Last edited:
I listened to a former Duke player tell me during the UNCG game today that Wes would be his choice to replace Coach K.

Wes is an excellent young coach. We probably have already missed the opportunity to hire him as I wanted to do before last season.

He turned 29 today and because of that has a chance to make a run at 800+ wins.

I always laugh when someone bumps this thread. Where’s the thread telling me I shouldn’t buy Amazon stock back then? Equally hilarious. Next time someone asks you why WF has had such a bad 8 decade run, you can remind yourself it’s because many of our alums aren’t very smart.

I always laugh when someone bumps this thread. Where’s the thread telling me I shouldn’t buy Amazon stock back then? Equally hilarious. Next time someone asks you why WF has had such a bad 8 decade run, you can remind yourself it’s because many of our alums aren’t very smart.

Forbes was the better hire over Wes Miller for Wake. better resume, better recruiter and has more connections.

Forbes was the better hire over Wes Miller for Wake. better resume, better recruiter and has more connections.

Keep building this thread. It’s great.

Love the folks telling me it mattered who was qualified more back in 2011. Turns out it mattered who was the better coach for the next 10 years. As I said then, Bob Knight has the best resume by far. Which has not a damn thing to do with who will have the best record from 2011-2050. As is apparent now, Wes is an 700 win guy.

DR, since you're here, I wanted to bring my proposed bet re: Josh Pastner to your attention

proposal: o/u 1 (down from 1.5 due to Covid situation) Sweet 16 for Pastner at GT over the next five years

2:1 odds in your favor, $100 to me on the under; $200 to you on the over (1 is a push)

$200 to me if Pastner gets fired

bet?

Bob Knight's resume can't sniff Wooden's. I'd also take Denny Crum's over Knight as well. Knight has one more championship but one fewer Final Four and Elite 8. On top of that Knight's last dozen years sucked. Crum never had a slump like that. K's resume is better than Knight's as well.

DR, since you're here, I wanted to bring my proposed bet re: Josh Pastner to your attention

proposal: o/u 1 (down from 1.5 due to Covid situation) Sweet 16 for Pastner at GT over the next five years

2:1 odds in your favor, $100 to me on the under; $200 to you on the over (1 is a push)

$200 to me if Pastner gets fired

bet?

I’ll take Pastner in sweet 16 over next 5 years but I win if he’s coaching elsewhere too.

Bob Knight's resume can't sniff Wooden's. I'd also take Denny Crum's over Knight as well. Knight has one more championship but one fewer Final Four and Elite 8. On top of that Knight's last dozen years sucked. Crum never had a slump like that. K's resume is better than Knight's as well.

Yes exactly. Interesting discussion. Has not a darn thing with whether Wes Miller would be great going forward. Clearly these guys wouldn’t be. Nor would Buzz. “He’s not qualified for the job” always means the person talking has not a clue what hiring is about. Give me smarts, youth & hunger any day for any job.

Wes was abjectly not qualified in 2011. It was ludicrous and nonsensical to say he was at that time. He had ZERO HC experience. He had ZERO P5 assistant coaching experience. Unc-G wasn't even a mid-major, which was his top assistant's job at that time.

He was justifiably Wake's fourth choice last year behind Matta, Forbes and Kelsey.

It does take some serious stones (and a certain myopic delusion) to suggest that you were right about a coach that you claimed it was too late for Wake to get in 2012, when Wake could hire the same coach in 2021. And when all the rest of major college basketball has ignored that coach over the same time period.

But to be clear, you are now suggesting that Currie made the wrong hire when he picked Forbes over Miller?

It does take some serious stones (and a certain myopic delusion) to suggest that you were right about a coach that you claimed it was too late for Wake to get in 2012, when Wake could hire the same coach in 2021. And when all the rest of major college basketball has ignored that coach over the same time period.

But to be clear, you are now suggesting that Currie made the wrong hire when he picked Forbes over Miller?

Suggesting it? I was screaming it.

Do I like Forbes? Sure, he was my 5th or 6th choice. Good hire. He will improve us. Then leave or croak.

Suggesting it? I was screaming it.

Do I like Forbes? Sure, he was my 5th or 6th choice. Good hire. He will improve us. Then leave or croak.

It's a shame your first choice for AD ignored your suggestions when he hired a coach last year. Must be tough.

It's also wild that Wes Miller is still available to coach Wake today. Makes you wonder.

Y’all keep wondering and staying the course with old, qualified dudes. It’s been working great for 80 years!

Miller will have options at better programs after this year. He would have had options last year, but WF was the only major program that fired its coach. Miller's proven that he knows what he's doing at UNCG. He will get the chance at a higher level. With that said, let's not make it seem like Wes is John Wooden. He's had a nice run in the SoCon, and that conference has produced some good coaches, but it gets harder to win as you climb the ladder.

Back