• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller named Head Coach at Cincinnati

Take it up with your first choice for athletic director. He made the choice.

Love John Currie. He has done great work as I knew he would. What a disaster he has had to begin unwinding. It’s a 20 year fix. He is slowly gaining more power. He will get this fixed.

Currie is so much better than me. He tells Ron Wellman every day to F off without actually telling him. It’s so beautiful to watch. How about all the social media work? Currie is a modern genius. I love the guy. Doesn’t mean we agree on everything. Forbes was a fine hire. And unlike Ron , if it doesn’t work he’ll can him.

In 2020 Steve Forbes had a better resume than Wes, he had a better 5 yr run in the SOCON, Forbes has coached at every level and won. There is no debate here, Currie made the right hire.

I think Wes is actually a good coach and has a good chance to succeed at a major program, but DR, your Ph-like refusal to admit your past depheats makes it hard to take your told-ya-so posts seriously, especially when Wes hasn't actually done anything at a major conference yet

also, please respond with an all-caps YES to publicly accept the Paster bet

Like it's been said before, Forbes has deeper connections and a better winning track record. He has been on many winning coaching staffs and won big at every stop. Not to mention his recruiting and personality. No question that Currie made the best hire possible, Forbes is going to get this done.

Miller will have options at better programs after this year. He would have had options last year, but WF was the only major program that fired its coach. Miller's proven that he knows what he's doing at UNCG. He will get the chance at a higher level. With that said, let's not make it seem like Wes is John Wooden. He's had a nice run in the SoCon, and that conference has produced some good coaches, but it gets harder to win as you climb the ladder.

Given his success, he shouldn't take a P6 job just to have one. If he takes a bad one, he may not get a second shot.

Like it's been said before, Forbes has deeper connections and a better winning track record. He has been on many winning coaching staffs and won big at every stop. Not to mention his recruiting and personality. No question that Currie made the best hire possible, Forbes is going to get this done.

Disagree. Life has scoreboards. We’ll see who wins again here.

700 wins at UNCG? Sure. At high majors? I dunno.

Well, Herb Magee has won 1123 games as coach at Philadelphia Textile/Philadelphia College/Thomas Jefferson University (all the same school). He made the Hall of Fame.

BTW, he was also one of (if not THE) first shooting coaches. Before Steph, he was the greatest shooter I had ever seen.

Well, Herb Magee has won 1123 games as coach at Philadelphia Textile/Philadelphia College/Thomas Jefferson University (all the same school). He made the Hall of Fame.

BTW, he was also one of (if not THE) first shooting coaches. Before Steph, he was the greatest shooter I had ever seen.

Gene Bess has 1300 men’s college wins. All time leader. Another great young and hungry hire that paid huge dividends.

Also taught Hansbrough (and me) how to flop. Smart dude.

Figures you think playing D with your ass rather than your feet is basketball. :)

I think Wes is actually a good coach and has a good chance to succeed at a major program, but DR, your Ph-like refusal to admit your past depheats makes it hard to take your told-ya-so posts seriously, especially when Wes hasn't actually done anything at a major conference yet

also, please respond with an all-caps YES to publicly accept the Paster bet

Yea, my life has been one repeated failure after another. Maybe I can find some success with a business or two one day.

Just leaving my caddie gig for the day at the Honda. Maybe he’ll pay me enough this week to pay off this bet one day.

YES

Yea, my life has been one repeated failure after another. Maybe I can find some success with a business or two one day.

Just leaving my caddie gig for the day at the Honda. Maybe he’ll pay me enough this week to pay off this bet one day.

YES

nice goalpost shift, but glad we've got a bet

Disagree. Life has scoreboards. We’ll see who wins again here.

Ok. Let's look at the scoreboard. Several "new" coaches have demonstrated a high level of success over the last 10-15 years. How many have you called? How do they compare to the ones you predicted?
When did you predict Chris Beard? Nate Oats? Tony Bennett?

Ok. Let's look at the scoreboard. Several "new" coaches have demonstrated a high level of success over the last 10-15 years. How many have you called? How do they compare to the ones you predicted?
When did you predict Chris Beard? Nate Oats? Tony Bennett?

I think DR's point is that you need to hire young, hungry candidates. Are they all going to work out? Of course not. But if you "hit" and get one right, you could have an excellent head coach for 20 years. If you "hit" with an old guy, you might get 5-10. Not awful for sure, but not as a good as 20.

I understand his point. However, he speaks as though he has picked specific winners. I'm looking for examples.

I think DR's point is that you need to hire young, hungry candidates. Are they all going to work out? Of course not. But if you "hit" and get one right, you could have an excellent head coach for 20 years. If you "hit" with an old guy, you might get 5-10. Not awful for sure, but not as a good as 20.

There's also plenty of failures.

Back