• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller named Head Coach at Cincinnati

Suggesting it? I was screaming it.

Do I like Forbes? Sure, he was my 5th or 6th choice. Good hire. He will improve us. Then leave or croak.

In the hypothetical that Wes was hired at WFU and was objectively good, he would leave for the UNC job.

Bear Bryant said it best when asked why he took the job to become Alabama's head coach: "Momma called. And when Momma calls, you just have to come runnin'."

In 2020 Steve Forbes had a better resume than Wes, he had a better 5 yr run in the SOCON, Forbes has coached at every level and won. There is no debate here, Currie made the right hire.

100% this

Wojo and Arch Miller both getting fired in the same offseason would be heartwarming.

I think DR's point is that you need to hire young, hungry candidates. Are they all going to work out? Of course not. But if you "hit" and get one right, you could have an excellent head coach for 20 years. If you "hit" with an old guy, you might get 5-10. Not awful for sure, but not as a good as 20.
That is a nice theory, except for the fact that the overwhelming majority of very young coaches don’t pan out. Furthermore, that theory was always specious logic to support us hiring Miller over Forbes. Forbes has the better resume than Wes and is young enough that if he is a “hit” we could have 20 years with him. If we had gambled on Wes, we might get lucky that he is a “hit” but if so, we’d likely lose him to UNC. Our AD knows what he’s doing and made the right choice.

I think we get 20 out of Forbes and he retires with the Deacs, having won more P5 conference titles than Wes Miller.

I think we get 20 out of Forbes and he retires with the Deacs, having won more P5 conference titles than Wes Miller.

The only place I worry about Forbes ever leaving for is Iowa; I’m sure that’s his dream job. Luckily, Iowa just locked down McCaffrey until 2027-2028. Let’s hope McCaffrey keeps winning!

Well, Herb Magee has won 1123 games as coach at Philadelphia Textile/Philadelphia College/Thomas Jefferson University (all the same school). He made the Hall of Fame.

BTW, he was also one of (if not THE) first shooting coaches. Before Steph, he was the greatest shooter I had ever seen.

Gene Bess has 1300 men’s college wins. All time leader. Another great young and hungry hire that paid huge dividends.

Also taught Hansbrough (and me) how to flop. Smart dude.

Cliff_Clavin_in_Jeopardy.png

This is one of the stupidest debates in ogboards history and that's saying something.

Drew takes a stupid position and then pretends that his fantasy would've come true if anyone else had listened to him. The fact that no one listened to him, including his close friends, simply proves his point in his mind - the point being that HE KNOWS BEST in a world of losers. He projects his expertise in chasing ambulances into every other area of his interest. "I'm good at this profession, so why wouldn't I know everything there is to know about everything?" He refuses to admit when he's wrong, even when a decade of experience has proven it so. No one else hired Wes Miller in the decade or so that we couldn't afford to lose? OBVIOUSLY THEY'RE ALL IDIOTS TOO. When everyone around you seems like they're crazy, maybe it's time to look in the mirror.

PS - I guarantee you that Drew has been working from the office this entire year under the "lawyers are essential because the law we wrote says so" fallacy.

A weirdly personal attack over a discussion about hiring basketball coaches.

Not at all what I said.

you're right - my apologies. I somehow missed the word "correct" in your response

but hiring the "correct" young coach is the very tricky part

for the record, I was a huge Nate Oats proponent - I was sure we were finally going to fire Manning in 2019, and Nate Oats looked like the closest thing to a sure thing I had seen in many years. But he's never going to be the coach at WF, and so I don't feel the need to re-litigate that decision year after year after year after year after year.

we have a very good coach right now. He's not young, but he has shown he knows what he is doing. He seems to relate well to kids. He is clearly putting in the work. He is willing to have tough conversations to make the roster better. We're going to be good. Probably very good. Maybe elite. I'd rather spend my energy supporting Forbes than talking about some other guy we could have hired.

That said, if I had to bet...Forbes probably will leave WF without a national championship. Not because he's not a good coach, but because the odds are that any coach would leave WF without a national championship. And so when that day comes, DR will use his twisted logic to come back here and blame the fanbase for supporting Forbes and not backing a "winner", like DR. And Wes. And Wojo.

Disagree. Life has scoreboards. We’ll see who wins again here.

Yea, my life has been one repeated failure after another. Maybe I can find some success with a business or two one day.

Just leaving my caddie gig for the day at the Honda. Maybe he’ll pay me enough this week to pay off this bet one day.

YES

Who made it weirdly personal first?

Back