• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller named Head Coach at Cincinnati

I hear we were going to hire Wes Miller until Donald Ross started a thread saying Wes wasn't ready and we should hire Wojo

Wish him the best.

For evaluation, do Huggins and Cronin set a fair baseline for him?

Seriously? People have talked a lot of trash about Wes on these boards.

It seems people here have talked trash not about Wes’ coaching ability but rather about how DR claims Wake was foolish to pass on him eleven years ago. Wes has proven he can coach. He wasn’t ready for the ACC eleven years ago, and that’s no insult at all to Wes. He should do well at Cincy. Huggins and Cronin should be the baseline, and Wes deserves a few years to get there just like any new coach deserves.

It’s also a weird argument to make that this message board is to blame for our “horrible past and future.” This message board wasn’t in favor of hiring [redacted], that was the decision by one person apparently. And that decision is to blame for the past decade of hoops misery, not any message board or Wake insiders.

Wish him the best.

For evaluation, do Huggins and Cronin set a fair baseline for him?

Huggins and Cronin will be the baseline. This will be a big step up for Miller. The Bearcats have a Top 25 all time record (23rd), two National championships, six Final Fours, eight Elite Eights, 13 Sweet Sixteens and a 46-29 record in 32 NCAA appearances. They were in every NCAA tourney from 2011-2019. The expectations are high and immediate.

Wes has earned the opportunity and I hope he succeeds.

The pulse of Wake’s fan base on Miller was captured in this thread. It was read by decision makers on both sides. Wake alums got what they wanted. As they have with the Joel.

Don’t get me wrong, Wake alums should get what we want. It’s our team.

And the results, past and future are just a reflection of those decisions. There is only one group who should revel in the success and take the blame for the failure: The pulse of the Wake Forest community.

This thread is what it is. WF chose this path.

LOL

It’s also a weird argument to make that this message board is to blame for our “horrible past and future.” This message board wasn’t in favor of hiring [redacted], that was the decision by one person apparently. And that decision is to blame for the past decade of hoops misery, not any message board or Wake insiders.

Didn't say it was the message board. Said it was the alums. In latter years, the message board was one of the vehicles were dumb alums expressed themselves. But our stupidity was occurring long before this board and, has continued now that it has really run it's course.

The litany of bad decisions by us we have been through many times fueled by the alums have been discussed at length--

--Not insisting on a basketball gym with the new campus
--Going in on a civic center in 1989
--Redoubling on it for decades
--Running off Dave Odom
--Putting so much power in an AD that wasn't very smart. Then supporting him and leaving him in place after decades of disaster
--Big timing Wes Miller as a player, then Coach over 2 decades
--Casting off young hires based on lack of "experience"

I blame none of this on John Currie. Guy is in a political firestorm fighting off really dumb folks without saying what I am saying -- since he can't without irking off folks he needs. I clearly don't care about that.

But, whatever, this is what it is at this point for Wake hoops and Wes Miller. We have clearly seen who was correct the last 10 years. And, the great news is, we are about to see who is/was right again. Wake and Cincy are fairly similar jobs. If Miller flops and Forbes really gets Wake going, there is no question I will have been wrong. Likewise...

If Wofford and Mike Young hadn’t owned Wes at UNCG, maybe he gets VT job instead of Young. That said Mike Young is an outstanding coach and hope HOF succeeds at Cincy

I know that the vast majority of Carolina alums and fans that I've talked to definitely would've preferred Wes, so there's that.

LOL donald ross you sound ridiculous, we’ve sucked the past 11 years cause of Ron Wellman. theres a new sheriff in town and his name is John Currie, plus Forbes was, is and will continue to be a better coach than Wes Miller so just let it go my friend.

By all measurable accounts, Wake Forest basketball still sucks. There may be reason for hope, but they still suck until they don't suck anymore.

If Wofford and Mike Young hadn’t owned Wes at UNCG, maybe he gets VT job instead of Young. That said Mike Young is an outstanding coach and hope HOF succeeds at Cincy

Is VT really a better job than Cincinnati ?

It seems people here have talked trash not about Wes’ coaching ability but rather about how DR claims Wake was foolish to pass on him eleven years ago. Wes has proven he can coach. He wasn’t ready for the ACC eleven years ago, and that’s no insult at all to Wes. He should do well at Cincy. Huggins and Cronin should be the baseline, and Wes deserves a few years to get there just like any new coach deserves.

That does not comport with my recollection, but perhaps you are right. Wes would have been a better hire than Manning, and while I think Forbes was a good hire, I would have rather had Wes. But reasonable minds can disagree on that.

No, he can’t be right. The out and out venom for “Tarhole” Miller has been palpable for years among our alums. It’s been reflected here in black and white the entire time.

“We don’t need a stadium...just a new Coach...Forbes is the Guy.” This is the undeniable mantra of the heavy majority here and throughout our base...to the extent we even have a base.

Again, I like Forbes, he works hard, & he remains a good choice. But he’s been dealt a hand by us he can’t win with. At his age and with his health, it’s a short band aid on a giant problem. But the biggest problem remains our alums.

I want to clarify slightly. Our alums are good people. They pray a lot. They like their families. They just don’t know shit about basketball. And they don’t care enough about it to fix it. Folks are entitled to other priorities in life. But when they weigh in on things they know nothing about it holds back this team. And to be clear this team has had a horrific 50 & 20 year run. That’s not because of Ron Wellman. You don’t suck for a 50 year window because of any 1 person. You suck because you suck. And as stewards of a men’s basketball program—let there be no doubt—we suck.

I know that the vast majority of Carolina alums and fans that I've talked to definitely would've preferred Wes, so there's that.

Same.

Though I heard a lot of... "He's just not quite ready."

Including some delusion of having him on the UNC staff for like a decade or so until he was ready to take over for Hubert.

This post is dead spot on.

Took Cronin until his 5th season to get Cincy to the NCAAs... But they got better each of those 4 non-NCAA years and then made it 9 years in a row before he left for UCLA. No real strong tourney runs, though... Only 1 Sweet 16.

In fairness, Huggins only made 1 Sweet 16 during a 9 year NCAA run from '97 to '05.

They've had similar issues as Wake in terms of being shitty in the NCAA Tourney (though they've been there a lot more often).

No, he can’t be right. The out and out venom for “Tarhole” Miller has been palpable for years among our alums. It’s been reflected here in black and white the entire time.

“We don’t need a stadium...just a new Coach...Forbes is the Guy.” This is the undeniable mantra of the heavy majority here and throughout our base...to the extent we even have a base.

Again, I like Forbes, he works hard, & he remains a good choice. But he’s been dealt a hand by us he can’t win with. At his age and with his health, it’s a short band aid on a giant problem. But the biggest problem remains our alums.

I want to clarify slightly. Our alums are good people. They pray a lot. They like their families. They just don’t know shit about basketball. And they don’t care enough about it to fix it. Folks are entitled to other priorities in life. But when they weigh in on things they know nothing about it holds back this team. And to be clear this team has had a horrific 50 & 20 year run. That’s not because of Ron Wellman. You don’t suck for a 50 year window because of any 1 person. You suck because you suck. And as stewards of a men’s basketball program—let there be no doubt—we suck.

So basically we’ve sucked for 50 years (had plenty of success,Odom, Prosser, ACC championships, Paul, Duncan, elite 8, sweet 16s, we’ve sucked cause our base doesn’t know shit about basketball( Wellman is an idiot cant blame that on us) we suck cause we didn’t hire Wes 11 years ago (nobody in their right mind was hiring Wes 11 yrs ago except UNCG)we suck cause our stadium(Duke has a shithole stadium) and Forbes just isn’t the right guy(he will win big here)LOLLLL donaldross you need to step away from the keyboard, you make no sense and are delusional.

Yeah I looked back and people were definitely running Wes down. No reason for Wake or Wes to explore the opportunity all that seriously if it'll piss the fan base off (especially after [Redacted]).

Back