• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller named Head Coach at Cincinnati

A preferred walk-on like Wes Miller who is a division one talent isn't going to be in the typical walk-on role. You are looking for him to possibly break into the rotation. We took another preferred walk-on the following year who wasn't as good as Wes Miller in Mike Drum, who also had Wake connections. I am sure he came here with the understanding that he would compete for playing time.

In reality, we could have desperately used both.

And there were alot of us saying at the time that it was nuts that a division one quality player from a Wake family who was willing to walk-on here wasn't given a preferred spot. He didn't have to try out to get a preferred spot with one of the top 3 premier basketball programs in the US and you are claiming he should have been forced to try out at Wake?

Last edited:
Mike Drum was only a "walk on" because he got free tuition due to having a parent work for the school. It was pretty well known he was brought in to fill a scholarship spot on the team we just didn't need to waste one on him and so didn't. You have your opinion and I have mine and thankfully both can exist at once.

good luck in coaching mr miller and we certainly could have used you at the end of your collegiate career at Wake

Last edited:
Even if Paul had stayed, Miller would have been our 3rd guard that year.

When Miller was wanting to come in, we only had 3 dependable guards in Paul/JG and Downey and Downey was a senior.

I don't have inside information, and maybe all of you do... but there was another thread on this topic and someone linked to Wes Miller's book and he never mentions any of this. Maybe he decided he didn't want to put that in the book. I don't know.

In the book he says he was going to walk-on at Wake but then visited JMU and decided to go there because of the idea of getting a scholarship. When he decided to transfer he writes Wake called him and said they would love to have him, and they'd even call other schools for him. He writes he is still grateful to Wake for that. He goes on to visit UNC, is blown away, and writes "I never seriously thought about Wake. At that time I thought of myself as a point guard, and they had Chris Paul.... Raymond Felton was going to the NBA."

It's a walk-on spot. People have bought more at Wake Forest. And yeah, he transferred from JMU. The idea of turning down a D-1 player who wants to walk-on is ridiculous. Not sure why a guy who played a freshman year of D-1 would need to try out.

At James Madison (2002-03):
Played in all 30 games at JMU for an average of 17.2 minutes per game • Averaged 4.1 points and 1.3 assists per game • Was third on the team in three-point field goals (33) and three-point attempts (103) • Had season highs of 15 points and five three-pointers (on 10 attempts) at home against William & Mary.

Last edited:
Mike Drum was only a "walk on" because he got free tuition due to having a parent work for the school. It was pretty well known he was brought in to fill a scholarship spot on the team we just didn't need to waste one on him and so didn't. You have your opinion and I have mine and thankfully both can exist at once.

good luck in coaching mr miller and we certainly could have used you at the end of your collegiate career at Wake

I have heard that, but I sure don't buy it. At least currently only tuition is discounted for faculty/staff members so the Drum family still would have had to shell out for room, board, etc. The cost of attendance for a child of a WFU faculty/staff member is at least $10k more per year than it is for a scholarship athlete.

His first road game as interim head coach is at Duke tonight. It'll take a Christmas miracle for the Spartans not to get annihilated, but nonetheless: fuck Duke.

Wes Miller may be a great guy and have potential as a coach, but barring a miracle he's not going to get this job. UNCG's program is low right now, but it's still a SoCon job with decent resources, and they're not going to turn the reigns over permanently to a guy with basically no experience.

An interim "auditioning" for a job is just current AD-speak for, "It's too early in the season for us to publicly admit this season is a waste, so we'll fake it for a while before we officially move on." Other than the Okie State women's job, I'm not aware of any interims recently who got the job after taking over for a fired boss. ADs don't keep their jobs making those moves.

Wes Miller may be a great guy and have potential as a coach, but barring a miracle he's not going to get this job. UNCG's program is low right now, but it's still a SoCon job with decent resources, and they're not going to turn the reigns over permanently to a guy with basically no experience.

An interim "auditioning" for a job is just current AD-speak for, "It's too early in the season for us to publicly admit this season is a waste, so we'll fake it for a while before we officially move on." Other than the Okie State women's job, I'm not aware of any interims recently who got the job after taking over for a fired boss. ADs don't keep their jobs making those moves.

Yeah I mean this happened at Wake but we had extenuating circumstances

And Wes Miller and the Spartans are up 16-11 at the 12 minute timeout.

Massive Duke run is inevitable, but always fun to watch Coach Kazoo overreact.

Spartans now up 24-21 at the 8:00 minute timeout.

Duke was, surprise, in the bonus at the 12:30 mark of the first half.

UNCG - 28
Duke - 30

with 3 minutes to go and UNCG on the line...interesting first half and Wes Miller looks like he might be a decent coach - giving the Rat all sorts of headaches.

Miller's first 2nd half as a coach at Cameron has become a serious nightmare. Must be peculiarly agonizing for a former Heel.

So... you're saying it may have been a bad idea to hire this fella as a full-time HC:

img11270849.jpg

Looks like a 61-31 interim coach to me.

Wes Miller has UNC-G a 1/2 game out of first place in their division of the SoCon

Wes Miller has UNC-G a 1/2 game out of first place in their division of the SoCon

Yep, they have won 5 straight and came back to beat App. State after being down 17, I think. The kid knows basketball. Before he took over UNCG was worse than bad.

Back