• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller named Head Coach at Cincinnati

When have we had a better shot? In hindsight Gary Williams. It was apparent pretty quickly that the last opportunity wasn't as good a chance as a lot of Wake fans thought it was.

Miller has great ties, has a great background in the ACC, is well known by the university, and is a realistic candidate who is 29 years old. When have we had a better opportunity?

A. Hire Wes Miller.
B. Pay $$ to get Tim Fuller and Dwon Clifton as assistants.
C. Find a graybeard coach (like a Larry Shyatt for Donovan and Steve Robinson for Williams) to help with Xs and Os.
D. Recruit the best talent Wake can get, year in and year out.
E. Profit (by betting on the Deacs to make the Final 4).

I know you know this already, but, the possiblity of making the HR hire is definitely there with a young coach, but so is the risk of the strikeout. It is easy to look at the Smith and Coach K hirings in hindsight and say 'that is how you do it'... does anyone know how many young or young-ish coaches have been hired in the ACC since Dean Smith was hired? How about in the NCAA? How many went on to be "HR hires" for that school? I don't know the answers, but, it is obvious that HR hires on the level of Smith or K are VERY few and far between...

None of this speaks to the Buzz hire at all or to Wes Miller, specifically... Just saying that the whole concept of spotting a great coach when he is young, hiring him and having him coach your team to greatness for multiple decades is great in theory but very difficult in practice.

Every hire has the potential to strikeout. Only a younger hire has the potential to be a home run. Bz was strikeout risk without home run potential. But to be fair, I think Wellman was trying to bat for average.

Losses before:

NC A&T - #226
App - #250
Western - #278
Elon - #259

Wins after:

CoC twice- #145
The same App and Western teams
Won 10 of their last 11.

How does Miller's record against 101-150 teams teams stack up to Bz?

Who was it that was pimping Dement hard on the old board after Odom left? Was it HeavyPetter?

Pretty sure it was deacfreke2.

We can only hope. Wellman still strikes me as one that might allow him to be an assistant coach but not the head coach right out of the chute.

I could see Wellman offering Wes to be [Redacted]'s associate head coach/coach-in-waiting to replace Battle. Of course, that could be perceived to be insult similar to the rumor that Skip wanted him to try out to be a walk-on.

How does Miller's record against 101-150 teams teams stack up to Bz?

You have managed to pick one of the only (maybe the only) categories where Bzz's record at Wake actually beats Wes Miller in.

Last edited:
Percentage or total wins?

But CoC is 101-150?

They are #157.

Even if you make it 100-160, Bzz still wins 3-2 vs 2-2.

More like Chess Miller. Every other coach is playing checkers.

Time for someone to start the Hire Wes Miller petition!

Of course, with his dad being a big time donor, may be a little awkward if he got here and sucked as a coach. Ruh roh.

Of course, with his dad being a big time donor, may be a little awkward if he got here and sucked as a coach. Ruh roh.

Yeah, but his dad could totally foot the buy out.

In all seriousness, that's the only thing that worries me. I'm tempted to take a shot on a young guy who loves Wake after the last couple of seasons, but worry about what would happen if things don't work out.

Yeah, but his dad could totally foot the buy out.

In all seriousness, that's the only thing that worries me. I'm tempted to take a shot on a young guy who loves Wake after the last couple of seasons, but worry about what would happen if things don't work out.

We fire him and get a new coach. Keep in mind we already didn't take Wes as a walk-on. If that didn't burn bridges, this probably won't. Miller is a young guy. He'll have a successful career even if it doesn't happen here or even as a head coach for several more years.

We hired a 60-year old coach to rebuild a team so it's only logical to hire a 30-year old to coach a team with some experience. I'm sold.

I have the same suspicion that Wes Miller's family ties actually work against him here, just as they likely complicated things when the walk-on situation was in play. Not just in terms of firing him in the future, but in terms of hiring him as well.

It would be difficult, I imagine, for Wellman to go his bosses and propose that Wes Miller, the son of a big time athletics donor, be hired as the head coach of the university's flagship athletic program. This is especially true if Wes Miller's entire professional resume is that he's been the interim head coach at UNC-G for 3/4 of one season (or 1.75 seasons if a change is made after next year).

Even if it's not remotely shady and Miller is the best person for the job, the possible perception of shadiness could lead everyone involved to avoid the situation.

A. Hire Wes Miller.
B. Pay $$ to get Tim Fuller and Dwon Clifton as assistants.
C. Find a graybeard coach (like a Larry Shyatt for Donovan and Steve Robinson for Williams) to help with Xs and Os.
D. Recruit the best talent Wake can get, year in and year out.
E. Profit (by betting on the Deacs to make the Final 4).

Will you be our next AD please

Back