• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wes Miller named Head Coach at Cincinnati

I've been to two UNCG games this season...they definitely needed a change. They suck like a hoover.

I have seen a couple of national columnists today reference him as a possible coaching rising star, and I know a couple of posters have been mentioning his name to be on the Wake radar for in the future. Honest question as someone who knows nothing about him other than his playing days, why do so many people think he could end up being a great coach?

I can only imagine who said he's on Wake's radar. That is a complete joke. I wish him well over in Greensboro.

It still has to be one of the worst decisions ever for Skip not to let him walk on at Wake. (old board info, assumed correct)

Last edited:
I thought Skip just told him he would have to try out to walk on along with the other walk ons, rather than just being given a slot, and Wes wanted to be with his BOI McCants anyway.

I thought Skip just told him he would have to try out to walk on along with the other walk ons, rather than just being given a slot, and Wes wanted to be with his BOI McCants anyway.

Not that unusual for someone to walk-on the team without a try-out. Normally it's someone who was recruited by lower level schools, but would rather be a small part of a big time program. It's called on a preferred walk-on, and Spencer Jennings is an example.

My understanding is that UNC offered him this status, and we didn't.

This is still one of the more baffling things we've seen in the last several years of Wake hoops. It's a walk-on spot. Give it to the dude whose name is on the building.

This is still one of the more baffling things we've seen in the last several years of Wake hoops. It's a walk-on spot. Give it to the dude whose name is on the building.

Which building? Sorry, I don't know the story.

That's just, damn....

Yes, you'd think Wellman, Prosser, and Hearn would have gone to great lengths to even further strength that relationship.

ETA: I don't have any kind of information on this beyond what's been posted on this board.

Good for Wes. He grew up a Deac and his Dad is our biggest donor. This board should be nothing but happy about this.

Yes

Let him walk on, Name on the building, huge Wake fan and now:

1) we share $ with UNC
2) He was good enough to play at UNC, think he wouldn't have helped us with after CP3 left.

So much wrong with not letting him walk on. (at face value, no idea what else was at play, but man....)

I only know this story second-hand, but I think the Miller family relationship worked against Wes and Skip didn't want it to look like the Millers had bought Wes' spot on the team. FWIW I think he played a freshman year at JMU then transferred to UNC.

Back