• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Drug Court of Glynn County, Georgia

Been down there myself for a client. Took some unusual action to mitigate the situation, to say the least, and I am real sure I don't want to know what my local counsel did there to facilitate it.

I've been there for FLETC stuff. The one thing I noticed about Glynn County is that a lot of the locals don't have their teeth.

I literally don't know any Georgia law, including particularly the law about what authority the state supreme court has over the state's trial courts, but I am sort of surprised that Georgia's Supreme Court or Georgia's judicial commission hasn't taken care of that situation yet.

How is there no oversight for Judge Williams? I don't know anything about the law, but how is this not a violation of something in the state constitution, bylaws, or federal statutes?

One thing I dislike about the drug court where I practice is that it has ballooned in size, both in terms of personnel and defendants in the court. A few years ago when it started it seemed to have a lot of promise as it had a small number of pretty dedicated staff, a well trained judge, and a small number of defendants who seemed interested in completing it. As the bureaucracy associated with it grew (i.e. more and more people relying on it for jobs, and more and more grant money coming in) they started accepting people who did not seem to be a good fit for the program. Today it seems almost as if they usher in as many folks as possible to justify all the jobs associated with it.

And what the hell -- 24 month sentences on $60 fraudulent checks?

I don't know the average cost to the state per year for prison inmates in Georgia. I am fairly sure, however, that if I were a taxpayer in Georgia I would be one unhappy puppy about paying the taxes to house that bad boy for 24 months over a $60 fraudulent check conviction.

I don't know the average cost to the state per year for prison inmates in Georgia. I am fairly sure, however, that if I were a taxpayer in Georgia I would be one unhappy puppy about paying the taxes to house that bad boy for 24 months over a $60 fraudulent check conviction.

Trust me, I am. I'm tired of paying for petty criminals to go to prison only to become trained as worse criminals. The "get tough on crime" makes for a great sound bite but few of these politicians have ever been inside a prison and seen what it is like.

Yep, you can come and watch. Won't help, as much of what she does as judge apparently isn't even in the courtroom, but you can come and watch.

Back