• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

P90X

I am not sticking to the suggested diet, and am instead trying to eat about what I did during P90X...a lot of salads and chicken. Yesterday, I was starving though, and I ate a lot of chips and cheese that I wouldn't normally eat. The body craved junk and it got what it craved. It is going to happen sometimes. I do need to go out and buy a bunch of protein bars for sure.

My calves are so fucking sore. That was the toughest thing about today. During the warm-up, my legs wanted to quit because they still hurt badly from the previous workouts. I just drove through it though and after a while one's desire to simply breathe overtakes one's focus on the pain.

I always focus on the guys in back because they're usually more like me and dogging it early. Hell, even the regular people he uses take breaks. Also, this is one workout where my whiteboyness really shines through. Not only does he go through those routines fast, but Shaun T has a serious rhythm when he does them, almost as if he is dancing. I do not exactly look smooth doing these routines.

I am not sticking to the suggested diet, and am instead trying to eat about what I did during P90X...a lot of salads and chicken. Yesterday, I was starving though, and I ate a lot of chips and cheese that I wouldn't normally eat. The body craved junk and it got what it craved. It is going to happen sometimes. I do need to go out and buy a bunch of protein bars for sure.

My calves are so fucking sore. That was the toughest thing about today. During the warm-up, my legs wanted to quit because they still hurt badly from the previous workouts. I just drove through it though and after a while one's desire to simply breathe overtakes one's focus on the pain.

I always focus on the guys in back because they're usually more like me and dogging it early. Hell, even the regular people he uses take breaks. Also, this is one workout where my whiteboyness really shines through. Not only does he go through those routines fast, but Shaun T has a serious rhythm when he does them, almost as if he is dancing. I do not exactly look smooth doing these routines.
Ya, some days you really just have to power through I've found also. Esp after a Power resistance day gad my body hates me. I'm overall sticking to the diet so far, I've been doing a lot of subs and mess with the meals. I've been trying to keep to around 300 cals per meal since I'm trying to lose weight and focusing on the faster made mess since I don't have a lot of time to waste since school>that

I am actually in my 2nd week of Insanity. This is the 2nd time I have done it. No doubt I was in better shape the first time I did it. Great workout.

Okay, you guys convinced me to try Insanity, so I just ordered it. One question - how is it on your feet? I've always done all of my P90X workouts in those Vibram 5-finger barefoot shoes because I love the stability they generate, but these workouts look like they might be too much impact. Do you think those would work, or should I switch to regular sneakers?

I have never worn those barefoot shoes but I HIGHLY doubt they would work for Insanity. There is a lot of cutting and jumping...I mean A LOT...so you would probably do well to pick yourself up a nice pair of cross trainers.

Just wrapped up week 3 of p90x, sounds like Insanity would be a good follow up (and would take less time).

My problem after the last round of p90x was that I couldn't continue that level of time commitment beyond 3 months - and then didn't end up doing anything outside of normal sports/activities.

So...

I came down with an AWFUL stomach flu Sunday night and all the fun things that come along with it...vomit, runs...all bad stuff. I completely rid myself of everything inside me and I literately wanted to die.

I was in the bed for Sunday night, all of Monday and Tuesday morning. I started to feel normal Tuesday afternoon and felt nearly normal yesterday. My appetite has returned to normal and I feel fine today. How long should I wait until I return to Insanity? I really want to get back at it today but I am thinking it might be too soon.

I started insanity last week. I haven't really been in shape since college...holy hell, the soreness is killing me. That workout is no joke. Even the people in the video are struggling.

Okay, you guys convinced me to try Insanity, so I just ordered it. One question - how is it on your feet? I've always done all of my P90X workouts in those Vibram 5-finger barefoot shoes because I love the stability they generate, but these workouts look like they might be too much impact. Do you think those would work, or should I switch to regular sneakers?

I use running shoes. I tried it barefoot once (on berber carpet) and it didnt work. If you are on a hard floor defs sneakers, esp if you are over 30. As mentioned its a lot of jumping and cutting. Ive already gotten a few minor tweaks from cutting too hard, you lose your form once you get broken down near the end of the workout.

Just wrapped up week 3 of p90x, sounds like Insanity would be a good follow up (and would take less time).

My problem after the last round of p90x was that I couldn't continue that level of time commitment beyond 3 months - and then didn't end up doing anything outside of normal sports/activities.
Not only time, but the physical and mental commitment is tough as well to continue. I did p90x the first time about 3 years ago and still can quote the videos. It can get old after awhile.

I finish week 3 tonight; my wife is doing the program with me this time and that makes it easier to get through.

After I do a full round of either series I will switch to a month or two of the One-On-One workouts and mix in some general cardio. They are generally a lot shorter than the full workouts, with a wider variety of moves between the DVDs. They are admitedly not as intense as the main workouts, but they serve to recharge me for a couple of weeks before getting back into the full plan.

So...

I came down with an AWFUL stomach flu Sunday night and all the fun things that come along with it...vomit, runs...all bad stuff. I completely rid myself of everything inside me and I literately wanted to die.

I was in the bed for Sunday night, all of Monday and Tuesday morning. I started to feel normal Tuesday afternoon and felt nearly normal yesterday. My appetite has returned to normal and I feel fine today. How long should I wait until I return to Insanity? I really want to get back at it today but I am thinking it might be too soon.

I bump the thread and get no love for my question?

I'm 2 weeks into Insanity right now. Really fucking hate it. Pros- it definitely pushes you as much as you can be pushed in 30 minutes. It's also less of a time commitment than P90X. Cons- It fucking sucks and makes you want to die. It also doesn't let your muscle groups rest like P90X. Every day it's jump this, jump that, and the only time the legs get to recover is on the day off and the recovery workout day. It kills my back too. I don't know if that's from all the high impact stuff or from working the core and doing a lot of things where you're bending repeatedly.

FWIW, I've been doing the whole thing barefoot, but they recommend cross trainers for it.

I've been putting off today's workout, but gotta get to it now. It's the cardio one where Shaun T says, "That shit was bananas, yo," at the end. Pretty much sums it up for me.

I started Insanity this week, so far so good. I wished they worked in more upper body, but I guess that isn't the point of this one. The workouts are short enough that I can handle them from an endurance standpoint, but I agree with you that over the course of a few weeks the impact has got to take a toll on your legs. My calves already feel like they've gone through a grinder. I went with the recommendation on here to use cross-trainers, and so far my feet feel fine.

I'm 2 weeks into Insanity right now. Really fucking hate it. Pros- it definitely pushes you as much as you can be pushed in 30 minutes. It's also less of a time commitment than P90X. Cons- It fucking sucks and makes you want to die. It also doesn't let your muscle groups rest like P90X. Every day it's jump this, jump that, and the only time the legs get to recover is on the day off and the recovery workout day. It kills my back too. I don't know if that's from all the high impact stuff or from working the core and doing a lot of things where you're bending repeatedly.

FWIW, I've been doing the whole thing barefoot, but they recommend cross trainers for it.

I've been putting off today's workout, but gotta get to it now. It's the cardio one where Shaun T says, "That shit was bananas, yo," at the end. Pretty much sums it up for me.

Pure Cardio? I actually like that one a helluva lot better than some but I agree with Shaun T "That shit was bananas yo"

Here's my results from the 1st->2nd fit test. Felt pretty good about the progress and the overall impact of the workouts. I'm just about back down to the max wt I wanna be at (160) at the rate I'm going I feel pretty confident that I can break into the 150's and maintain that.
Switch Kicks: 30-->47
Power Jacks: 40-->50
Power Knees: 42-->60
Power Jumps 25-->31
Globe Jumps 6->7
Suicide Jumps 16-19
Push up Jacks: 23-->27
Low Plank Oblique 36-->46

Pure Cardio? I actually like that one a helluva lot better than some but I agree with Shaun T "That shit was bananas yo"

Here's my results from the 1st->2nd fit test. Felt pretty good about the progress and the overall impact of the workouts. I'm just about back down to the max wt I wanna be at (160) at the rate I'm going I feel pretty confident that I can break into the 150's and maintain that.
Switch Kicks: 30-->47
Power Jacks: 40-->50
Power Knees: 42-->60
Power Jumps 25-->31
Globe Jumps 6->7
Suicide Jumps 16-19
Push up Jacks: 23-->27
Low Plank Oblique 36-->46

Yeah, Pure Cardio...

I wish I had written down my numbers from the first fit test because I feel like I made vast improvement between the 1st and 2nd.

Switch Kicks: 139
Power Jacks: 58
Power Knees: 90
Power Jumps 50
Globe Jumps 10
Suicide Jumps 18
Push up Jacks: 36
Low Plank Oblique 35 sets

The last one is a bit weird because I don't know if you were supposed to count a set as one or one as one so it's either 35 or 70...I started counting them individually and then around 3 or 4 I started counting in sets...so my final number was 38 and I subtracted a few. I also neglected to do them on my mat so I got carpet burn on my elbows.

Big improvement came on switch kicks (it was first so I wasn't tired and I didn't pace myself) and power jumps. Power knees is all a rhythm thing. The Asian girl in that video does them like crazy. She also does her power jumps in bursts of about 4-5, then rests.

I am guessing that the first week my numbers were very similar to yours, so it is probably good that I didn't write the numbers down or I might have limited myself once I passed my previous numbers. Next time try not remember or check your previous numbers and just go through it. Write them on a separate sheet of paper and then onto the poster with the other numbers. My day 15 numbers were very close to the two kids in the video, and I think ahead of them in some cases.

i haven't worked out in a month and head back to crossfit tonight. its going to suck.

I am just finishing up a second round of Insanity. I have had the best success when counting calories using MyFitnessPal along with it. Get a heart-rate monitor and see how many you are burning during the workouts.

Anyone done Les Mills Combat?

Yeah, Pure Cardio...

I wish I had written down my numbers from the first fit test because I feel like I made vast improvement between the 1st and 2nd.

Switch Kicks: 139
Power Jacks: 58
Power Knees: 90
Power Jumps 50
Globe Jumps 10
Suicide Jumps 18
Push up Jacks: 36
Low Plank Oblique 35 sets

The last one is a bit weird because I don't know if you were supposed to count a set as one or one as one so it's either 35 or 70...I started counting them individually and then around 3 or 4 I started counting in sets...so my final number was 38 and I subtracted a few. I also neglected to do them on my mat so I got carpet burn on my elbows.

Big improvement came on switch kicks (it was first so I wasn't tired and I didn't pace myself) and power jumps. Power knees is all a rhythm thing. The Asian girl in that video does them like crazy. She also does her power jumps in bursts of about 4-5, then rests.

I am guessing that the first week my numbers were very similar to yours, so it is probably good that I didn't write the numbers down or I might have limited myself once I passed my previous numbers. Next time try not remember or check your previous numbers and just go through it. Write them on a separate sheet of paper and then onto the poster with the other numbers. My day 15 numbers were very close to the two kids in the video, and I think ahead of them in some cases.
only one that you should count 2 reps as 1 is Switch kicks everything else besides Globe jumps is 1-1

And that's pretty good idea next fit test I'll have to make sure I just keep where my old goals were out of sight

Back