• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What are you listening to right now?

This morning it's:

U2 - Achtung Baby
The KLF - White Room
Massive Attack - Blue Lines

Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted
Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque
Lemonheads - It's a Shame about Ray

Been on a Sunset Rubdown kick lately. Remembered how awesome Shut Up I Am Dreaming was... It contains my favorite song of all-time (the title track), but "Stadiums and Shrines II", "The Men Are Called Horsemen There", and basically the rest of the album are stellar, too. It's not the best starting point for Krug's work, but it may be his most interesting record.

Right now, I'm listening to this track from it:

I love Sunset Rubdown A LOT.

This morning, I've got some insane project I'm working on, so it's all ambient to get my focus on. Did Nils Frahm - Felt already, which is just spectacular, and now I'm doing Mark McGuire - A Young Person's Guide to Mark McGuire.

Today is a good day I think for Cut Copy- Zonoscope. I finally downloaded this album recently, and I'm really not sure what took me so long. It's fantastic, and would've placed highly on my 2011 list had I listened to it sooner.

It's remarkable how much better Mezzanine is than Blue Lines.

Yet Blue Lines--and inexplicably Protection--still gets more cred in the UK than Mezzanine. It doesn't make any sense to me. Yeah I guess it was the "first" work from any of the Wild Bunch artists to make a splash, but it just kind of sounds like a lot of other early 90s house shit that came out then. Mezzanine is remarkable, and 15 years after its release still holds up. Blue Lines does not.

Yet Blue Lines--and inexplicably Protection--still gets more cred in the UK than Mezzanine. It doesn't make any sense to me. Yeah I guess it was the "first" work from any of the Wild Bunch artists to make a splash, but it just kind of sounds like a lot of other early 90s house shit that came out then. Mezzanine is remarkable, and 15 years after its release still holds up. Blue Lines does not.

I think considering how poorly most of that early 90s house stuff holds up, its remarkable how good Autechre was back then. Take Amber, and it still sounds so good today. Slightly different genres, but same ideas. In fact, a lot of the same sounds, just put together so much better.

More Autechre!

Tri Repetae
Basscad
Incunabula

Now back to Tim Hecker:

Haunt Me, Haunt Me, Do it Again
Harmony in Ultraviolet
An Imagined Country

So I got bored last night and started playing with my top album lists from the last few years, and ended up combining '07-'11. BUT THAT IS NOT THE STORY. The story is that I remembered that Deerhunter's Microcastle/Weird Era Cont. existed, and it is awesome.

This is from the Weird Era Cont. half of the double album, where Cox & Co turn down the production and GO 'SPLORIN.

Back