• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What are you listening to right now?

Does no one else have a problem with the fact that the Avett Brothers lead singer is a really bad singer? I mean that band sounds cool and all, but he's painful.

The problem is that your musical tastes are probably so narrow that you're limiting yourself to the same voices. It can take a while to acclimate yourself to a voice that isn't what you are familiar with.. it doesn't mean that they can't sing.

You think Bob Dylan is a good singer? Ever listen to Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst? The Mountain Goats (John Darnielle)? Leonard Cohen? Spencer Krug and his projects would blow your mind.

Alternatively... stick to listening to some of the stuff that the Avett Brothers is loosely rooted in. Check out Doug Wallin's version of Omie Wise. Or listen to some Doc Watson. Maybe some George Davis. Hell, more recently you could check out Old Crow Medicine Show. If you want some more classically beautiful voices and are into chicks, check out Gillian Welch and Emmylou Harris.

A real singer's talent isn't and never-will-be rooted in his/her ability to make American Idol.

The problem is that your musical tastes are probably so narrow that you're limiting yourself to the same voices. It can take a while to acclimate yourself to a voice that isn't what you are familiar with.. it doesn't mean that they can't sing.

You think Bob Dylan is a good singer? Ever listen to Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst? The Mountain Goats (John Darnielle)? Leonard Cohen? Spencer Krug and his projects would blow your mind.

Alternatively... stick to listening to some of the stuff that the Avett Brothers is loosely rooted in. Check out Doug Wallin's version of Omie Wise. Or listen to some Doc Watson. Maybe some George Davis. Hell, more recently you could check out Old Crow Medicine Show. If you want some more classically beautiful voices and are into chicks, check out Gillian Welch and Emmylou Harris.

A real singer's talent isn't and never-will-be rooted in his/her ability to make American Idol.

A singer should be pleasant to listen to though, what's the point if not. If its to the point where it makes someone's ears hurt, that's not good. Just because it's different doesn't make it pleasant.

Never been a fan of Dylan, I imagine he was just a great songwriter at a great time

and just went through
Bright eyes - awful
Mountain Goats - was not painful in the Bright Eyes/Avett mold. I think I'd get used to this voice
Leonard Cohen - Found his voice interesting
Krug - tried for 2 minutes to listen to how he sung but it was all electronic silliness
Doug Wallin - I wouldn't call him a good singer, but its not as painful as some
Watson - again not my type of music but this wasn't painful at all
George Davis - just giving me some skateboarder on youtube.

Well you gave it the old college try. The old palma try. The old 19 minute try.

Some people like some things and some people like other things.

People certainly definitely have broader tastes and I can be narrow. I like eating the same thing over and over, listening to same thing, etc. Generally just a guy and guitar doesn't do it for me. I'm a big fan of Simon and Garfunkel though (beautiful harmonies) and Elliott smith (what does he have accompanying him on say angeles or between the bars, etc) I don't have that much of an acute ear.

I always like to distinguish between a good singer and a good voice. Too often there is a disconnect there. Bob Dylan, on his day back in the day, was a very good singer (he can probably still pull that shit off but sounds more like a frog and likes this traveling vaudevillian minstrel thing he's doing -- I still dig it). I like his voice as an instrument, too, but I can see how others might not tune in. But his phrasing, his melodies, his lyrical rhythms...you can pull those off if you aren't a talented singer, it's just not going to work.

One can have a pleasing voice to the ear, but have no range, have no emotion, can't enunciate, can't maintain longer lines. That's all part of being a good singer. Or you can be Michael McDonald and have it all.

I totally understand not generally being a fan of the guy/girl and a guitar. It's because most of those people aren't good singers, they just sometimes have pleasing voices. The ones who can pull it off (Paul Simon, Elliott Smith, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, my Brazilians Ben, Veloso, and Gil) are the true talents.

ETA - I'm not an Avetts fan either palma. And Deacfan2009 said a lot of the same stuff I just typed.

Last edited:
Finally getting around to a few I neglected earlier thus year:

White Rabbits
Lotus Plaza
Horse Feathers

People certainly definitely have broader tastes and I can be narrow. I like eating the same thing over and over, listening to same thing, etc. Generally just a guy and guitar doesn't do it for me. I'm a big fan of Simon and Garfunkel though (beautiful harmonies) and Elliott smith (what does he have accompanying him on say angeles or between the bars, etc) I don't have that much of an acute ear.

Well now I know why palma was hatin' all over team china's talent submission.

Well now I know why palma was hatin' all over team china's talent submission.

I didn't hate on the submission, I was hatin on my teammates not letting me do the Coconut Bangers Ball, and winding up in 3rd outta 4.

Part 2, Die Walküre. New favorite activity: getting strong and watching the Ring cycle.

Caribou - The Milk of Human Kindness
Califone - King Heron Blues
Brightblack Morning Light - Self-Titled

Getting real weird with it this AM.

Currently listening to The Kingston Springs - really enjoying them.

Red Collar- Welcome Home

My friend is their drummer.

Frank Wilson, Motown producer and songwriter, passed away last week. This was originally recorded by Brenda Holloway, but this is the more famous version.

and this

I liked them the first time I saw them, but then it got less exciting to me each subsequent time. But they play their balls off every show, I give them that.

Don't know if any of you guys are into stuff like this, but Miguel's new album "Kaleidoscope Dream" just came out and it's received great reviews. Very unique R&B/funk sound. Worth a listen for sure

Clearlake - Cedars
Cold War Kids - The Mulberry Street EP
Destroyer - Your Blues

Back