• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What are you listening to right now?

I fucking love that album, but I've read that the book was written with out Jeff's approval and he was pissed because it felt invasive so I've been ambivalent about the book.

hm the acknowledgments page at the front says "Thanks go out to Jeff Mangum, whose approval of this project precipitated many of the interviews within, and whose songs are the reason for them." so i find that pretty hard to believe, though i know he's an incredibly private guy.

the album has always been special to me, but something in reading about how it was made, with a disconnected group of guys just sorta bopping around all over georgia, denver, nyc, and eventually just landing in one place through some magic and happenstance reminded me of how i came to know and love it best, in college, playing it over and over with friends, obsessing over the lyrics and going down rabbit holes of what they meant and what they meant to us.

i love the way the author treats the lyrics, too, which is basically to say she doesn't give much of an interpretation, just notes where the echoes are, the repeated symbols, the imagery, because we probably all hear it differently. i also really enjoyed learning that it was kinda musically inspired by jeff and scott's weird love of crate picking records, especially from eastern europe. you can hear the influence in the horns and the saw and odd instrumentation of balkan marches and experimental, improvisational technique.

makes me want to really dig deeper in the elephant 6 catalog again, where i haven't gone much further than dusk at cubist castle

hm the acknowledgments page at the front says "Thanks go out to Jeff Mangum, whose approval of this project precipitated many of the interviews within, and whose songs are the reason for them." so i find that pretty hard to believe, though i know he's an incredibly private guy.

the album has always been special to me, but something in reading about how it was made, with a disconnected group of guys just sorta bopping around all over georgia, denver, nyc, and eventually just landing in one place through some magic and happenstance reminded me of how i came to know and love it best, in college, playing it over and over with friends, obsessing over the lyrics and going down rabbit holes of what they meant and what they meant to us.

i love the way the author treats the lyrics, too, which is basically to say she doesn't give much of an interpretation, just notes where the echoes are, the repeated symbols, the imagery, because we probably all hear it differently. i also really enjoyed learning that it was kinda musically inspired by jeff and scott's weird love of crate picking records, especially from eastern europe. you can hear the influence in the horns and the saw and odd instrumentation of balkan marches and experimental, improvisational technique.

makes me want to really dig deeper in the elephant 6 catalog again, where i haven't gone much further than dusk at cubist castle

My mistake, perhaps it was the 33 1/3 book about some other band and album that I am mixing up. I'm going to read it!

I got into NMH through the Avery Island album. My senior year roommate were into them. He popped Avery Island into the car CD player some time in the middle of the night during an overnight road trip we took driving back from Louisiana in college. I find it pretty weird that I can remember that specific event 22 years ago. Lyrically and sonically, Avery Island was basically practice for ITAOS.

I've got some Apples in Stereo albums and the Gerbils. Both are good. Apples are Rob Schnieder's project. The music is very poppy and has a really Beatles vibe. My suggestion would be "Tone Soul Evolution." The Gerbils are Scott Spillane's band. He is more than just a horn player.

Honestly though, NMH was a stand out in the Elephant 6 group. Jeff is a really special talent.

Currently working through the Grateful Dead's 8/26/71 show from Gaelic Park in the bronx...Absolute HEATER of a show, whole band is feeling it in this one.

Maybe I'm a rube but I can't get into the Pigpen years as much. I just don't wanna hear a 30 minute Good Lovin'. I like the late 70s and late 80s-91 eras best.

Maybe I'm a rube but I can't get into the Pigpen years as much. I just don't wanna hear a 30 minute Good Lovin'. I like the late 70s and late 80s-91 eras best.

I can kind of agree, but those long Pig jams are not all that common - they get sensationalized, but a lot of what I like about the early dead stuff is the shorter, bluesy jams. This show today only has 2 jams over 10 minutes (China>Rider, Other One>Drums>Other One).

Neal Casal passed away 2 years ago yesterday (8-26-19). I didn't get a chance to listen to much of his music yesterday so I'm catching up now. I think I've posted this video before, but it's just such a great jam. RIP Neal - hope you found what you were looking for.

Neal Casal passed away 2 years ago yesterday (8-26-19). I didn't get a chance to listen to much of his music yesterday so I'm catching up now. I think I've posted this video before, but it's just such a great jam. RIP Neal - hope you found what you were looking for.

Loved the CATS show I saw here. Wish I had seen CRB but always passed when they were in town.

Finishing up a bathroom painting project this morning and threw on Supertramp “Breakfast in America”. Great album.

I saw the Black Crowes at Red Rocks last night and they were fantastic. Didn't really jam anything out too much, but they sounded great. They played straight through SYMM and then a few more before taking a short break and coming back out for a 1 song encore.

Setlist:
Twice As Hard
Jealous Again
Sister Luck
Could I've Been So Blind
Seeing Things
Hard to Handle
Thick N' Thin
She Talks to Angels
Struttin' Blues
Stare It Cold
No Speak No Slave
My Morning Song
Descending
Wiser Time
Thorn in My Pride
Sting Me
Remedy

Encore:
Hey Hey What Can I Do

Kanye's new album is ass. However, here is some damn fine rap as a palate cleanser.

I've got some Apples in Stereo albums and the Gerbils. Both are good. Apples are Rob Schnieder's project. The music is very poppy and has a really Beatles vibe. My suggestion would be "Tone Soul Evolution." The Gerbils are Scott Spillane's band. He is more than just a horn player.

Honestly though, NMH was a stand out in the Elephant 6 group. Jeff is a really special talent.

I want to delve into Schneider. Can you give me a little guidance on him and where to start and go?

I want to delve into Schneider. Can you give me a little guidance on him and where to start and go?

I’m no expert. I’ve got two of his Apples in Stereo albums and Tone Soul Evolution is my favorite. He is extremely talented as a producer, crafting the ideas of his wildly talented friends into epic albums (dusk at cubist castle, in the aero plane over the sea).

He seems like an interesting dude; went back to school and eventually got a PhD in math and is now a professor at UGA. Invented a new musical scale the uses a logarithmic base and also invented an instrument that uses brain activity to adjust pitch.

Read this piece on BBC this morning: Edge of Seventeen: An anthem that stuns each new generation

Got me into a rabbit hole of reading about Stevie Nicks, Fleetwood Mac, 1977 music, etc.

Sometime today I’m going to listen to “Edge of Seventeen”.

And probably Rumours.

Of course the single isn’t on that album.

But that album takes me back…

Edge of Seventeen has always been my favorite Stevie song since I first heard it circa 1982. It was that guitar that pulled me in. There were a couple others from that decade that did the same thing for the same reason and I still remember hearing them for the first time. Money For Nothing by Dire Straits and Addicted to Love by Robert Palmer. Seems corny and quaint to say that now, but the guitars on those songs were unlike anythng getting airplay at that time.

Buckingham/Nicks, the self-titled Fleetwood Mac album, and Rumours are the trifecta of greatness for the Stevie/Lindsey. Tusk was half-baked, self-indulgent, horribly produced crap for the most part. I think it has become kind of a cult favorite over the years for all those reasons, but it's just not particularly good. Then came the 80s and all the schmaltz associated with that. Stevie's first two solo albums are superior to the FM output from that time (Mirage and Tango In The Night).

I’m no expert. I’ve got two of his Apples in Stereo albums and Tone Soul Evolution is my favorite. He is extremely talented as a producer, crafting the ideas of his wildly talented friends into epic albums (dusk at cubist castle, in the aero plane over the sea).

He seems like an interesting dude; went back to school and eventually got a PhD in math and is now a professor at UGA. Invented a new musical scale the uses a logarithmic base and also invented an instrument that uses brain activity to adjust pitch.

Tried editing, but here is a link to tone soul evolution:

and this faculty profile at UGA:
https://www.math.uga.edu/directory/people/robert-schneider

Edge of Seventeen has always been my favorite Stevie song since I first heard it circa 1982. It was that guitar that pulled me in. There were a couple others from that decade that did the same thing for the same reason and I still remember hearing them for the first time. Money For Nothing by Dire Straits and Addicted to Love by Robert Palmer. Seems corny and quaint to say that now, but the guitars on those songs were unlike anythng getting airplay at that time.

Buckingham/Nicks, the self-titled Fleetwood Mac album, and Rumours are the trifecta of greatness for the Stevie/Lindsey. Tusk was half-baked, self-indulgent, horribly produced crap for the most part. I think it has become kind of a cult favorite over the years for all those reasons, but it's just not particularly good. Then came the 80s and all the schmaltz associated with that. Stevie's first two solo albums are superior to the FM output from that time (Mirage and Tango In The Night).

12e534be1289fd1781605f85fc1d3261_w200.webp

Back