• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What are you listening to right now?

If you like Chris Stapleton, Cody Jinks, Kolton Moore or Ryan Bingham, then Charles Wesley Godwin is for you

New St. Paul & the Broken Bones is good on first listen through

Just got back from Hootiefest in Cancun. Don't judge an old please. It was very fun and the music was really good. As a musician it was great because I was chest up agaisnt the stage for each band and got to analyze the guitar playing like the absolute loser-nerd I am. It was excellent to come away feeling even worse about my own skills.

I still like 90s music. A lot. The lineup was:

Hootie & the Blowfish
Barenaked Ladies
Spin Doctors
Blues Traveler
Toad the Wet Sprocket
Better Than Ezra
Drivin n Cryin
Cowboy Mouth
Sister Hazel
Toadies

I've been a Drivin n Cryin fan since the 80s. Seen them so many times. The leader of that band is a guy named Kevin Kenney and he's been sort of a hero and one of the reasons I got heavy into playing guitar in bands - I really wanted to play a few of their songs live. Anyway, during their set Mark Bryan of Hootie played lead guitar. Their usual lead guitar player wasn't there and I just didnt get why. Mark luckily knew all their songs from being friends with them and touring with them over the years and he did awesome. So yesterday in the Cancun airport kevin kenney happened to sit almost next to me at the gate. So I was thrilled to get a chance to meet him and talk to him and I asked him why his guitar player wasn't there. He said the guitar player's dog ate his passport. I said you mean as in haha he lost it like homework. He said no, he has a young labrador and the dog chewed up his passport 2 days before he was to leave and they wouldnt let him out of the country. He said the guy was devastated. He was so excited to come play this gig and that happens.

Last edited:
Picked up a couple of compilations over the weekend:

1. Thai? Dai! - this is a comp of undground thai music from the early to mid 70's. Established artists of that era as well as unknowns making experimental music; more 'world-music' than pure pyschadelia. Kind of a blend of thai folk music and thai rock/psych of that era. Excellent covers of Black Sabbath (Iron Man) and Chicago (25 or 6 to 4)

FKR044-PACKSHOT-550x550.jpg

2. Shaolin Soul #3 - compilation of original soul songs that have been sampled by rap and hip hop artists. Double LP, grooves really fucking hard. Really happy with this pick.

ETA: The Shaolin Soul comps are a Rza project; the originals on each of the 4 volumes are stuff sampled by Wu-Tang Clan and the solo/side projects.

71UXRpzonvL._SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:
Picked up a couple of compilations over the weekend:

1. Thai? Dai! - this is a comp of undground thai music from the early to mid 70's. Established artists of that era as well as unknowns making experimental music; more 'world-music' than pure pyschadelia. Kind of a blend of thai folk music and thai rock/psych of that era. Excellent covers of Black Sabbath (Iron Man) and Chicago (25 or 6 to 4)

FKR044-PACKSHOT-550x550.jpg

2. Shaolin Soul #3 - compilation of original soul songs that have been sampled by rap and hip hop artists. Double LP, grooves really fucking hard. Really happy with this pick.

71UXRpzonvL._SL1200_.jpg

Do you know about the Jakarta Records label? I feel like they put out comps that you would be into

Just got back from Hootiefest in Cancun. Don't judge an old please. It was very fun and the music was really good. As a musician it was great because I was chest up agaisnt the stage for each band and got to analyze the guitar playing like the absolute loser-nerd I am. It was excellent to come away feeling even worse about my own skills.

I still like 90s music. A lot. The lineup was:

Hootie & the Blowfish
Barenaked Ladies
Spin Doctors
Blues Traveler
Toad the Wet Sprocket
Better Than Ezra
Drivin n Cryin
Cowboy Mouth
Sister Hazel
Toadies

I've been a Drivin n Cryin fan since the 80s. Seen them so many times. The leader of that band is a guy named Kevin Kenney and he's been sort of a hero and one of the reasons I got heavy into playing guitar in bands - I really wanted to play a few of their songs live. Anyway, during their set Mark Bryan of Hootie played lead guitar. Their usual lead guitar player wasn't there and I just didnt get why. Mark luckily knew all their songs from being friends with them and touring with them over the years and he did awesome. So yesterday in the Cancun airport kevin kenney happened to sit almost next to me at the gate. So I was thrilled to get a chance to meet him and talk to him and I asked him why his guitar player wasn't there. He said the guitar player's dog ate his passport. I said you mean as in haha he lost it like homework. He said no, he has a young labrador and the dog chewed up his passport 2 days before he was to leave and they wouldnt let him out of the country. He said the guy was devastated. He was so excited to come play this gig and that happens.

I think this would be a great time -- very jealous. I was trying to convince my wife to go to One Big Holiday in Cancun this year but was shot down. In addition to MMJ, the lineup includes Lord Huron, Black Pumas, Sharon Van Etten, Brittany Howard and some others. Really want to go someday.

yeah I wanna go to one of those getaways one day -- Panic en La Playa or Playing in the Sand most likely.

Not usually into electronica/goth music, but these first tracks "Beware!" and "Scary World" fuckin' slap.

Do you know about the Jakarta Records label? I feel like they put out comps that you would be into

Coming back to this; I looked into Jakarta and most of the stuff I heard on that label is cool, but maybe not my sweet spot. On the other hand, it seems like the Jakarta guys also run Habibi Funk and I like those comps quite a bit (though I don't own any).

Listening to the latest live release from Circles Around the Sun - 11/12/21 from the Charleston Pour House. First show I've heard with the new guitar player and he fits right in. Love this band and hope I can see this lineup sometime this year.

Listening to the latest live release from Circles Around the Sun - 11/12/21 from the Charleston Pour House. First show I've heard with the new guitar player and he fits right in. Love this band and hope I can see this lineup sometime this year.

They came in December but didn’t go. This release might’ve been the show before or after

Back