• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What are you listening to right now?

That stood out to me and sent me on a search, because I was like WHAT, there is a Stanley Clarke bluegrass album??? But it does look like Stanley Clarke at one point jammed with Bela Fleck and Jean-Luc Ponty, which could have had those vibes. I need to listen to that set.

Lol I think there was a Stanley Clark album this Record Store Day, too. But yeah I went with the bluegrass one. Supposedly one of the seminal bluegrass albums that's been out of print since 1968.

Trying to get a little more into country music of all eras. Dig Sturgill, Jason Isbell, Chris Stapleton, Watchhouse, Tyler Childers. What kind of other stuff should I check out?

Trying to get a little more into country music of all eras. Dig Sturgill, Jason Isbell, Chris Stapleton, Watchhouse, Tyler Childers. What kind of other stuff should I check out?

Of all eras? With which era are you most unfamiliar?

some folks that I like in no particular order: Garm Parsons, Emmylou Harris, Tammy Wynette, Margo Price, Caitlin Cary, Willie Nelson, Loretta Lynn, and the two Trio records (Emmylou, Dolly, and Linda Rondstadt)

Keith Whitley and George Strait have some good 80s stuff. Not a super knowledgeable fan, but trying to dive in more here and there, as well.

Sounds like you are interested in Red Dirt Country music (North of Austin, West of Nashville).

Zach Bryan, Charles Wesley Godwin, Muscadine Blood Line, Whiskey Myers, Casey Donahew, Turnpike Troubadours, are all more recent acts who have a similar sound.

Older stuff, the Highwaymen is a great way to sample some of the greats.

Steeldrivers are a good gateway bluegrass band. Jason Isbell got his start with the Drive-By-Truckers, so its worth checking out their early stuff. The Dirt Drifters broke up, but you may like some of their stuff as well.

Keith Whitley and George Strait have some good 80s stuff. Not a super knowledgeable fan, but trying to dive in more here and there, as well.

And old Keith Whitley he died to soon
But now he's up there with Hank
And they're both fightin' the Nashville Blues

-Cory Morrow, Nashville Blues

for modern bluegrass:

Billy Strings
Infamous Stringdusters
Greensky Bluegrass

classics:

Doc Watson
Flatt & Scruggs
New Grass Revival (or Sam Bush or Bela Fleck solo stuff)

Bela Fleck's My Bluegrass Heart album is a good entry point. also see if you can get your hands on some of the Jerry/David Grisman stuff. the new Ragged But Right Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band release would be a good start.

This period of JD Crowe and the New South when he was jamming with Tony Rice, Jerry Douglas, and Ricky Scaggs might be good to check out, as well, if you don't know it. Rounder 0044 is a classic.

Just came across this clip of Derek Trucks playing with DMB last month...Derek comes in around the 3 minute mark and takes over with Carter.

You Want it Darker by Leonard Cohen

I didn't realize he was a pretty prolific writer -- read a short story of his in the Paris Review and it's good

Knew John Hartford before, but hadn't done much exploring outside of Aereo-Plain (I knew he had written "Gentle On My Mind" and was in the bluegrass universe). Put on Housing Project this weekend and had a good time. More 70s country/bluegrass/folk something something whatever. Aereo-Plain has a sweet band: Hartford, Vassar Clements, Norman Blake, Tut Taylor, Randy Scruggs -- about as good as it gets for this music. Anyway, this was earlier than that, but was digging its vibe.

Last edited:
Back