• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Airline Rewards Credit Cards

Thanks. Don't think I'll do since I'd have to overspend by a good bit to hit the minimum.

$4000 in credit card-eligible spending in a month? Damn.

House, 2 cars, 2 dogs, kid on the way? Is that surprising? I don't know, maybe we just spend a lot!

House, 2 cars, 2 dogs, kid on the way? Is that surprising? I don't know, maybe we just spend a lot!

unless you're putting mortgage and car payments on the card, yeah... that seems like a lot. :noidea:

How does one put their mortgage payments on a CC? Sign me up for that shit.

Most people are not paying mortgages and car loans with credit cards, and if they are then they're paying the 2-3% service charge, so the credit card benefits are much less appealing.

I thought it was $4000 over three months which is way more reasonable. 4k eligible spend in one month seems like a lot although daycare costs could get him close.

i think we spend about that much. i also put work expenses on my personal cc and pay them off, so a work trip to nyc that costs 5k would go on there. thats always nice.

sooooo my wife and i are going to take leaves from work for like 6 months next summer (well she's getting laid off sometime in the next 6 months and then is going to temp but w/e). right now we're using the venture from cap1, and it's awesome for cash back. we're thinking with our upcoming travels (starting in europe and then asia) it might make sense to start accumulating actual miles instead. american and delta are probs the best bet given that's who we fly the most (and i have baby status at american and virgin but not doing virgin). does it make more sense to sign up for an american or delta card or this chase reserve?

I thought it was $4000 over three months which is way more reasonable. 4k eligible spend in one month seems like a lot although daycare costs could get him close.

it is $4k over 3 months for the card; he's talking about his own monthly spending, though.

i think we spend about that much. i also put work expenses on my personal cc and pay them off, so a work trip to nyc that costs 5k would go on there. thats always nice.

sooooo my wife and i are going to take leaves from work for like 6 months next summer (well she's getting laid off sometime in the next 6 months and then is going to temp but w/e). right now we're using the venture from cap1, and it's awesome for cash back. we're thinking with our upcoming travels (starting in europe and then asia) it might make sense to start accumulating actual miles instead. american and delta are probs the best bet given that's who we fly the most (and i have baby status at american and virgin but not doing virgin). does it make more sense to sign up for an american or delta card or this chase reserve?

You can't move Chase points directly to American, but you can book AA flights through British Airlines. Chase transfers to United, Southwest, Virgin, Korean, British, and others. Plus they're hotel-eligible too.

are there any status benefits with chase or is it straight dollar values?

to my understanding it's just dollar value, but you can put in a frequent flyer # when you book your ticket?
someone else probably has a better/more thorough answer.

that's what it seemed like. so it seems if i care about status then probs an airline specific one would probs be better, but if i just cared about free stuff i should probs do chase.

Rundown here: https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/sapphire/reserve

No airline status benefits, but it looks like you get some lounge accesss.

The exec American card doesn't look like you get status either: https://secure.fly.aa.com/citi/ccpage-exec. You get up to 10,000 qualifying miles, but need 25,000 to hit the lowest level (https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/elite-status/aadvantage-elite-status.jsp).

that's what it seemed like. so it seems if i care about status then probs an airline specific one would probs be better, but if i just cared about free stuff i should probs do chase.

sounds correct.

Rundown here: https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/sapphire/reserve

No airline status benefits, but it looks like you get some lounge accesss.

The exec American card doesn't look like you get status either: https://secure.fly.aa.com/citi/ccpage-exec. You get up to 10,000 qualifying miles, but need 25,000 to hit the lowest level (https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/elite-status/aadvantage-elite-status.jsp).

yeah i am at lowest level already on american, but with our spend rate i'd imagine i'd be bumping status quickly. i wonder how it works with 2 people on the card? omg credit cards are so confusing.

yeah i am at lowest level already on american, but with our spend rate i'd imagine i'd be bumping status quickly. i wonder how it works with 2 people on the card? omg credit cards are so confusing.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to get the qualifying miles from spending. Appears to only accumulate EQMs on ticket purchases and all other purchases are only for the regular AAdvantage miles.

People really don't spend about 1350 a month? Seems pretty normal to me.

For how many people?
Again, if you exclude house and car payments from that, $1350 is a lot for one or two people (I think)(but these boards have also taught me that I'm more frugal than most).

I mean 4000 per a person seems pretty high to me but only 1350 per a person doesn't. Two people I think easily could be at 2000 without even doing that much.

I mean 4000 per a person seems pretty high to me but only 1350 per a person doesn't. Two people I think easily could be at 2000 without even doing that much.

2k discretionary spending over one month?

Back