• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Airline Rewards Credit Cards

If you travel with a per firm and can expense your personal cc then no sweat.

I spent $160 on three drinks in NYC last weekend. I only had one of them. That was absurd.

lol Japanese whiskey or something? I was hanging with my bro in NYC a couple of weekends ago and we had a few double vodka sodas at this bar and the bill was $150. If I am paying $150 for drinks, we all need to be blacked out.

lol Japanese whiskey or something? I was hanging with my bro in NYC a couple of weekends ago and we had a few double vodka sodas at this bar and the bill was $150. If I am paying $150 for drinks, we all need to be blacked out.
Each drink was only $20.

Found out when we got the bill that there was a $35 cover per person. Bemelmans Bar in the Carlyle.

For how many people?
Again, if you exclude house and car payments from that, $1350 is a lot for one or two people (I think)(but these boards have also taught me that I'm more frugal than most).
You are definitely more frugal than most. I don't think I've had a CC bill under $2,000 in the past 9 years (and I definitely can't use a CC for my mortgage or car payments).

You are definitely more frugal than most. I don't think I've had a CC bill under $2,000 in the past 9 years (and I definitely can't use a CC for my mortgage or car payments).

What's left after mortgage and car? Do you eat out every meal? Even allotting $800 for food, that's still another $1200 of... ? I don't mean to derail the thread, I'm just trying to fathom how I would spend that much. I guess travel more? Or something?

I mean, you can't fathom how people have bills other than mortgage, car and food?

I mean, you can't fathom how people have bills other than mortgage, car and food?

For one person for a month, rounding up:
cell phone: $100
cable/internet: $125
car insurance: $50
gas: $75 (?)
pet insurance (they said they have a dog): $25
water/sewer/electric/garbage: $250

...ok, so that's $625. Add $800 (!!) for food, and we're still only at $1425.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to get the qualifying miles from spending. Appears to only accumulate EQMs on ticket purchases and all other purchases are only for the regular AAdvantage miles.

Correct. No real way to get status other than flying.

Do you not buy anything else? We buy things for our house, for ourselves, I eat out a lot for lunch at work, 2 cars worth of gas is a lot more than $75/mo, dogs typically cost a helluva lot more than $25/mo (at least on average for the year), I play a fair amount of golf, she makes jewelry, we go to the movies, etc etc.

I think we can just leave it at you are more frugal than some people, haha.

For how many people?
Again, if you exclude house and car payments from that, $1350 is a lot for one or two people (I think)(but these boards have also taught me that I'm more frugal than most).

must be nice being a girl and never having to pay for anything, its minimum $50 a night anytime I go out anywhere, double if its a date. (Then once dating longer it gets split)

seems like a weird argument. 100 a week in groceries. 75-100 a week restos/bars. 1500-2k isn't crazy at all if you put everything on one card.

Travel, home repairs, furniture, birthday presents, charitable gifts, clothes, random shit at Target, and a whole lot more. Not all of that every month, but there is inevitably at least one relatively big (or just flat out big) expense per month. If I didn't spend at least $30,000 per year, my SkyMiles CC would be a whole lot less valuable (oh, and I wish my car insurance was only $50/month).

If you're gonna be single, fit, and relatively fun and in your 30's, its a waste if ya don't settle down with someone pulling $200k/yr so ya don't gotta spend life so frugally.

Our credit card bill ranges from $3 to $5k a month.
I put everything I can on there water bill gas car insurance. Kids dentists etc it adds up.

Last edited:
Back