• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Airline Rewards Credit Cards

It goes out automatically. So as soon as the payment is processed it is accounted for.

But if the charge is ultimately going to end up on the January statement, I can see why that would have happened for his Dec. hotel.

Just signed up for my Chase Sapphire Reserve. You guys helped push me to finally pull the trigger, so thank you all for that.

A friend of mine with no credit is trying to get her first credit card. Any suggestions? I'm pretty sold on the Capital One QuickSilver if she can get it: https://wallethub.com/d/quicksilverone-rewards-75c/

Discover also has some great starter cards, but I feel like so few places actually take Discover, so I've been hesitant to go that route.

I'm confident she will be able to pay it off, so I'm also leaning away from a secured card if I can help it.

Last edited:
But if the charge is ultimately going to end up on the January statement, I can see why that would have happened for his Dec. hotel.

Travel credit resets every Dec 1st

I see what you're saying though

Will a home away booking or an airbnb be included in the travel credit? The wording on the details page is a bit ambiguous.

Will a home away booking or an airbnb be included in the travel credit? The wording on the details page is a bit ambiguous.

It was either the Chase site or maybe thepointsguy.com that specifically cited airbnb counting towards travel. Uber, parking, etc. also count.

It was either the Chase site or maybe thepointsguy.com that specifically cited airbnb counting towards travel. Uber, parking, etc. also count.

Sweet, so my guess is homeaway will count as well. Most excellent.

Thanks for the heads up leebs, and for the advice on switching cards tilt. I had been thinking the Sapphire Reserve would be good, but had just paid the annual fee on the Preferred when the Reserve came out so I was going to wait a while before signing up. Guess I should jump on it now! I was thinking about cancelling the Preferred (after transferring points) since I don't want to pay the annual fee if I have the Sapphire Reserve also... I'll just downgrade to the Unlimited w/no fee. Here goes!

If you cancel/downgrade the Preferred to a non-fee card, they refund you the pro-rated amount on the fee you paid on the Preferred. Took about 2-3 weeks from when I downgraded.

lbe08 I'll have to look at the statement to be sure, I'll report back.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You get 5k points if you add her to the same Chase Sapphire Reserve card. Spending $8k in 3 months if you got 2 would be too much for me, but you do you.

If you identify a spouse as an "authorized user" on your application, they will send you a card in your spouse's name. (That is not particularly clear on the application; I add my wife to all my accounts so she can handle things over the phone, but we still keep separate cards).

Explained here: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2016/09/19/sapphire-reserve-couple-conundrum/

The couple conundrum

Now that you’ve convinced yourself that the Reserve card is a keeper, for you, what about your spouse? Should you pay $75 per year to add your spouse as an authorized user? Remember that the $95 Sapphire Preferred card allows free authorized users. For an individual frequent traveler, the difference in effective annual fees between the Reserve and Preferred cards is only $55 ($150 vs. $95). But the difference in effective annual fees for a couple is $55 + $75 = $130. Is it worth it?

In the single person analysis above, I justified the value in the card both via its enhanced point earning power and its enhanced per-point value. With a spouse, though, you can get the enhanced per-point value without adding them as an authorized user. This is because they can earn Ultimate Rewards points with other cards (including cards with no annual fees) and can then transfer those points to your Sapphire Reserve account. For details about moving points from one account to another, please see: Chase point transfer rules made simple [Infographic].

So, the question of whether it is worth adding a spouse, depends only upon the value of the card’s ongoing benefits for your spouse (e.g. lounge access), and the card’s enhanced point earning power…

You guys who were approved on the spot are lucky! My application is pending... not sure why, but that has happened to me before with a Chase rewards card and they ended up approving me with (with a pretty high limit, so not sure what the issue that required review was). I called to see if there were any issues with my Reserve application and they just said no, it's normal for it to be pending, and if they have any questions they'll call. :noidea:

If you cancel/downgrade the Preferred to a non-fee card, they refund you the pro-rated amount on the fee you paid on the Preferred. Took about 2-3 weeks from when I downgraded.

Also - thanks, I didn't realize that! Wish I had looked into it back then, but oh well. No biggie.

got mine in the mail today. kind of regretting going the authorized user route for my wife and not getting 2 cards with 2 rewards.

I was not expecting the card to show up 36 hours after application. Let's go.

I'm bummed - snowpocalypse has kept my card from being delivered (we've not had mail come in 3 days). I have purchases to make!

I've always just used the Chase website to book, as the $ prices are generally the same as search engines like kayak.com (although it seems like sometimes not all of the same flights are available), and you get the savings from redeeming points. I just checked and it doesn't look like they have too many airline partners - at least for me... I usually fly Delta.

Am I missing something? The only relevant ones to me look like United and Southwest:

British Airways
Air France
Korean Air
Singapore Airlines
Southwest
United
Virgin Atlantic

If you want to redeem on delta, Korean Air is the correct transfer partner. They are in SkyTeam. Alternatively, just fly a different airline on the award tickets if they have a good route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was having dinner with a group last night, all split checks, and I used my Sapphire Reserve. Someone else got my check back by mistake and as he was looking at the card to see who it belonged to, he was like "what is this? why is your card so heavy?" Those things sure have some heft to them.

You need to be paying for the whole thing and have them square cash/venmo you. Get those 3x points

Back