• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Airline Rewards Credit Cards

If you want to get deep into the rewards card game, FlyerTalk message boards is the best #sauce.

So once my points vest, what is the best way (most efficient use of points) to book a flight? Is it through chase or independently?

Usually independently, transferring points to the airline partner, especially if you have any flexibility in your travel dates and times.

Via phone? or can it be done via their website?

Yes, you can transfer points from the credit card company (bank) to the airline partner through the bank's website and then immediately use the points to book flights on the airline's site.

I feel like going through the effort of transferring credit card points to some other partner that gives you X% more for them is the point where its unreasonable to go through that effort. Like I don't want to have to sign up for 5 rewards cards just to maximize shit.

I feel like going through the effort of transferring credit card points to some other partner that gives you X% more for them is the point where its unreasonable to go through that effort. Like I don't want to have to sign up for 5 rewards cards just to maximize shit.

It doesn't have to be that complicated. Earlier this week I signed on to the Chase website and with one click transferred points to Hyatt rewards. They are there instantly. I used those points to book a place at the Clearwater Beach Hyatt. The cash price was like $650 a night and I got them for 20k points per night. Insane value for like 45 seconds of extra work.

I missed out on the Chase Sapphire Reserve 100K points offer, so I opted instead for the Citi AAdvantage card instead, especially since our last few flights have been on American airlines. Any opinions from those who are currently using this card? Just curious. You get 1 mile for every dollar spent, and double miles for AA purchases, as well as free checked bags and a few other perks.

Yes, you can transfer points from the credit card company (bank) to the airline partner through the bank's website and then immediately use the points to book flights on the airline's site.

so do you already have rewards/frequent flyer accounts with all the airlines too? I'd need to sign up with all the airlines to best use my points?

The transfers aren't always immediate. I think all of chase's are, but amex and citi have some delays depending on who you are transferring to.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I just don't want to have to remember a Hilton Rewards username/password

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so do you already have rewards/frequent flyer accounts with all the airlines too? I'd need to sign up with all the airlines to best use my points?

Need an account, but probably smart to just have one with the major airlines anyways.

It doesn't have to be that complicated. Earlier this week I signed on to the Chase website and with one click transferred points to Hyatt rewards. They are there instantly. I used those points to book a place at the Clearwater Beach Hyatt. The cash price was like $650 a night and I got them for 20k points per night. Insane value for like 45 seconds of extra work.

That's a good deal.
Some of the other transfers aren't as lucrative - looking at the United MileagePlus site, their one-way fares are 25k points for flights over 700mi. That's not a good deal; you're better off purchasing through the chase portal. Right? Or am I missing something?
I almost always just purchase through the chase portal, but I almost exclusively use points for domestic airfare.

That's a good deal.
Some of the other transfers aren't as lucrative - looking at the United MileagePlus site, their one-way fares are 25k points for flights over 700mi. That's not a good deal; you're better off purchasing through the chase portal. Right? Or am I missing something?
I almost always just purchase through the chase portal, but I almost exclusively use points for domestic airfare.

The cost per point calculation isn't that hard.

Southwest, if that's an option, usually has lower-point flights than the same routes on other airlines.

That's a good deal.

The standard award deals through united aren't that great. The saver award one way price is 12.5k points one-way, which depending on the flight can be a pretty good deal. 57k one way business class to Europe is also pretty nice.

The cost per point calculation isn't that hard.

Southwest, if that's an option, usually has lower-point flights than the same routes on other airlines.

I know, that's what I'm saying though. $250 for a one-way ticket (so, $500 round trip) is way more expensive than even just buying a flight. I dunno, I guess I'm surprised by how many people transfer the points out of the UR portal rather than just using it. Obvious exception being the 20k points for a $650 hotel stay.

The standard award deals through united aren't that great. The saver award one way price is 12.5k points one-way, which depending on the flight can be a pretty good deal. 57k one way business class to Europe is also pretty nice.

Yeah, true - but what I was seeing on the Saver award is that they only originate from particular airports, unless I read that wrong.

Back