• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Airline Rewards Credit Cards

That is shocking to me, because AmEx has never been anything but wonderful to me. Card hacked/stolen, got text, call and email immediately and had a new card overnighted to me by 10am the next day. That's been my experience any time I have had any issue with AmEx.

I am a year into a dispute related to something they told me in a call in December of 2015. The department with the decisions rights says I never called (while the department I actually called says I did but apparently can't be bothered to tell the other department that) and says I am shit out of luck, regardless of what my own phone records say. So I am caught in a no mans land that, absent some miracle, will cost me $2000.

I would recommend TWC over American Express at this point. And TWC nearly took me to collections because it took them four months to figure out what my bill was supposed to be and how to apply my payments to it.

To be fair, I have never been in this situation with Chase, but they certainly couldn't be worse.

All benchmarking and industry studies show this to be false. AmEx always scores near the highest in customer service (along with USAA and Discover).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to the commencement speech to which I listened...[robotvoice]amex is the greatest thing since sliced bread[/robotvoice]...still bitter about that

The customer service provided to Chase Preferred and Chase Reserve clients is significantly different than the Joe Shmoe Chase Customer's service... I think it's definitely reasonable to say the Chase Preferred/Reserve customer service is better than AmEx.

This. The sapphire customer service is awesome. The longest I've ever waited on hold is about two minutes and my average hold time is probably more like two seconds.

All benchmarking and industry studies show this to be false. AmEx always scores near the highest in customer service (along with USAA and Discover).

They do fine on the routine things, although not as well as the Sapphire folks do, who pick up on the first ring (no menus, no hold time) and are always 100 percent understandable (not to be an OWG...).

But that just means they have adequate staffing and baseline training. Whoopie.

When it comes to the extreme situation, or at least my extreme situation, they have been awful. Customer service told me false information (do not assume that a corporate card has rental car coverage and do not assume that customer service is qualified to tell you if it does or not), but has shown no willingness to go to bat for me. Meanwhile, the rental claims group is either lying to me or, at this point, willfully ignoring what I am saying and, in the process, implying that I am lying and that I doctored phone records. Seriously, their assertion is that I have never called customer service throughout this ordeal! Thank god that I didn't really damage that rental car and Hertz just stuck me with a bill for absolutely unnoticeable damage that was there when I picked up the car, otherwise I might be out 20k, instead of just 2k (Hertz is also on my naughty list).

So I don't care about benchmarking surveys. In customer service, anecdotes are actually really important because they show what happens when people are pushed outside of the protocol. Amex has failed miserably, and I will tell everyone who will listen about it.

Anyone have a rec for a cash rewards card that has no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees? Preferably one with a joint-application option, so the wife's credit is combined with mine and we maximize our possible limit?

Anyone have a rec for a cash rewards card that has no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees? Preferably one with a joint-application option, so the wife's credit is combined with mine and we maximize our possible limit?

Usually the cash-back cards without an annual fee do not have the foreign transaction fees waived. Usually the travel cards - the ones with no foreign transaction fees - have an annual fee, though many will waive it in the first year. However, those often don't have a cash-back option, but instead accumulate points toward a travel partner.

My advice would be the Chase Sapphire Reserve. Even with the reduced 50K point bonus - down from 100K earlier this year - it still ticks most of your boxes: no fee first year ($95 after), no foreign transaction fees, and cash-back option (and points option). Link: https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/sa...38812b24f6&jp_cmp=cc/307156/aff/3-10002570/na

Usually the cash-back cards without an annual fee do not have the foreign transaction fees waived. Usually the travel cards - the ones with no foreign transaction fees - have an annual fee, though many will waive it in the first year. However, those often don't have a cash-back option, but instead accumulate points toward a travel partner.

My advice would be the Chase Sapphire Reserve. Even with the reduced 50K point bonus - down from 100K earlier this year - it still ticks most of your boxes: no fee first year ($95 after), no foreign transaction fees, and cash-back option (and points option). Link: https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/sa...38812b24f6&jp_cmp=cc/307156/aff/3-10002570/na

Agreed with this. The CSR is a great card, and the $95 annual fee is easily covered by the cash back/benefits available - especially if you use it exclusively (and pay it off).

Assuming you want straight cash back, Capital One Quicksilver is probably the one that best fits the qualifications above. You can get a better rate with the Citi double cash but it charges a foreign transaction fee.

Assuming you want straight cash back, Capital One Quicksilver is probably the one that best fits the qualifications above. You can get a better rate with the Citi double cash but it charges a foreign transaction fee.

But with no sign-up bonus and no waived fee, doesn't seem like it is better than the Chase.

But with no sign-up bonus and no waived fee, doesn't seem like it is better than the Chase.

Quicksilver has no fee and has a small cash sign up bonus. I use a 3 card chase stack for all my purchases, so I'm definitely a chase guy, but if you just want a cash back card to use for everything that you don't have to think about, the quicksilver is basically the chase freedom unlimited minus the foreign transaction fees. You are always going to leave a little bit on the table by going cash back rather than points, but I get people wanting the simplicity of cash back.

Barclay card way better than the chase card

Fee is 450 with $300 travel credit netting a $150 difference. It is $75 for authorized user. Still worth it IMHO.

The fee structure Juice was talking about is from the Preferred, not the Reserve.

Yeah just wanted to clarify so someone does not jump head first into the Reserve with a misunderstanding of the costs associated with it. Still think the Reserve it fucking dope, I can actually fucking travel now.

Back