• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Airline Rewards Credit Cards

Wife and I are thinking about getting a AAdvantage Mileup card (no fee, 2x AA miles on AA and groceries) to complement Chase Sapphire Preferred. Almost all our flying is on AA and is mostly to our hometowns w/ kids. Dumb idea, smart, just ok?

The Uber card is ridiculous, if I wasn't all in on Chase I'd be all over that. I'm assuming the limits are low to cancel that out though. Something like 4% on dining, 3% on travel, no foreign transaction fee, no annual fee. Thats broken

Just a heads up on a semi-related topic -- most credit cards are doing away with (or have done away with) Price Protection, which allows you to get a credit-- my card is $500 at a time and $2500 a year -- if you buy something that ends up being cheaper later (within 90 days I think). I am going to try to buy a new tv using a method I saw on AVS forum where you bid on a tv at a website called greentoe (which has legit sellers), and then find a cheaper price online from a less legit company and use price protection to get a credit for the difference. Issue is that I need to do it by Aug 28 because that is when price protection goes away on my credit card.

never done this -- how annoying are the logistics of getting the credit?

Wife and I are thinking about getting a AAdvantage Mileup card (no fee, 2x AA miles on AA and groceries) to complement Chase Sapphire Preferred. Almost all our flying is on AA and is mostly to our hometowns w/ kids. Dumb idea, smart, just ok?

If it were me, I'd go with the Citi Aadvantage Platinum assuming you'd spend $2,500 in the first three months. $95 fee waived for the first year and it comes with the 50k bonus instead of 10k, free checked bag, and more reduced mile awards. Double points on gas and restaurants instead of groceries. You could cancel (or possible downgrade to Mileup) after a year to avoid the fee.

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/c...latinum-elite-credit-card~4XSX1XD871C2L10302W

Regarding the heft of the CSR cards, a friend of mine one time was on the wrong end of it standing out from the crowd. There were 4-5 of us out and he joins late and has maybe 1 or 2 drinks and when it comes time to pay somebody suggests credit card roulette. So everyone throws a card in and of course the waitress pulls his right out because she could feel that it was heavier than the other ones. Guy ends up picking up a tab of like $300-350. This was maybe 4 years ago and he still brings it up regularly.

Just got the Amex platinum a couple months back - it's good - $200 uber credit and 60k points, no spend limit so can use it for work too. Concierge is great - gold status with most hotels and tons of airline clubs.

Recommend it if you are looking at a new card.

This is interesting as a complement to CSP: groceries are my only big expenditure not covered by CSP double miles. And all the double miles on AA would be useful too because CSP won't transfer directly to AA (only through British Airways).

How does this compare to the other AAdvantage card (currently on 60,000 bonus)? Is this the platinum JuiceCrew mentions above?

It is the groceries that are especially intriguing (thinking more long-term than bonuses), because travel and restaurants are already double on CSP. No annual fee is also a perk.

The Amex Blue Cash Preferred is what I use for groceries cause of 6% cash back, but makes more sense if you've got the spend of a family.

This is interesting as a complement to CSP: groceries are my only big expenditure not covered by CSP double miles. And all the double miles on AA would be useful too because CSP won't transfer directly to AA (only through British Airways).

How does this compare to the other AAdvantage card (currently on 60,000 bonus)? Is this the platinum JuiceCrew mentions above?

It is the groceries that are especially intriguing (thinking more long-term than bonuses), because travel and restaurants are already double on CSP. No annual fee is also a perk.
No the juicecrew mentioned plat is different than the mileup card. The plat is the 50k or 60k bonus card depending on if you have a mailer. Although the word on the street is that you can apply for whatever bonus and then send Citi a secure mesg chat after approved and ask to get bumped up to a larger bonus. Just say you saw a mailer or something. They will only bump you 20k miles above what you got originally.

Last edited:

Yeah this is the exact appeal of the card to me. Go from earning (I think) ~2.1c per $1 of groceries with CSP to earning ~2.8c (if The Points Guy's valuation is good), and for no added fee. And then AA and Chase points fulfill different parts of the family's travel agenda

As someone who gets a different card or two every year, I'm rarely concerned about the extra mile/points categories. Much more concerned about fee (and if it's waived), sign-up bonus and its requisite spend, and how the points can be used. Keep a Chase Freedom as my no-fee card, which also has the benefit of accumulating points that can be converted to Sapphire points when I hold one of those cards. I just put a calendar notification 11 months out to cancel any card with fees.

Like Tuffalo, i think, I'm not doing any churning. I'm just looking to complement the CSP which i use for pretty much everything right now. So i think I'm coming at this with different priorities than you, juicecrew.

Re: the bonus, they're advertising the 60k on domestic flights. I've seen it like a dozen times in the last month or two.

Also, dumb question, but what do those 60k miles count towards? Reward flights, obviously, but do they don't count as EQM miles, right?

Like Tuffalo, i think, I'm not doing any churning. I'm just looking to complement the CSP which i use for pretty much everything right now. So i think I'm coming at this with different priorities than you, juicecrew.

Re: the bonus, they're advertising the 60k on domestic flights. I've seen it like a dozen times in the last month or two.

Also, dumb question, but what do those 60k miles count towards? Reward flights, obviously, but do they don't count as EQM miles, right?

Just aware miles. Afraid status is not that easy!

Just aware miles. Afraid status is not that easy!
Ha, thanks for this. I've already requalified for gold for next year. It's amazing how much quicker it goes once you already have it. The rich get richer. Doubt I'll make platinum this year but that would make me feel like a baller because I'm pretty poor.

Chase extended their bonus wait time on the Sapphire from 24 months to 48 months for re-applicants

Chase sucks. Hope y'all got a referral that still has 24 month language on it. Hollar and I'll send you one

got my bonus last summer and canceled earlier this summer and was planning to re-apply next summer

would the 24-month referral still be good in a year?

Back