• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Airline Rewards Credit Cards

Doubt it but who knows. I'm hoping it will still be good by end of December when I'm up for another bonus

Dumb question: if I cancel my AAdvantage card, I’d still retain the miles because they’re posted to my AA account right? As opposed to accumulated points on a cash back card.

Thinking of canceling my Barclays AAdvantage card before the annual fee hits the end of this month and replacing it with the Citi AAdvantage to get that 50k mike bonus.

Just got the Amex platinum a couple months back - it's good - $200 uber credit and 60k points, no spend limit so can use it for work too. Concierge is great - gold status with most hotels and tons of airline clubs.

Recommend it if you are looking at a new card.

Most people are all over the CSR, but I prefer this as my travel card. I fly Delta a lot and the lounges and statuses in hotels are nice. Uber is good too. I had the CSR for a year to get the initial 100,000 bonus points but canceled when my next fee posted. It's good for getting Chase points, but I rarely fly United/Southwest

Dumb question: if I cancel my AAdvantage card, I’d still retain the miles because they’re posted to my AA account right? As opposed to accumulated points on a cash back card.

Thinking of canceling my Barclays AAdvantage card before the annual fee hits the end of this month and replacing it with the Citi AAdvantage to get that 50k mike bonus.

Correct - your miles are with your AA account, not the card. Shouldn't throw you off to cancel/switch (or at least that's what was explained to me when I asked about canceling my Barclays AAdvantage).

Whoa, finally a card came out a couple of days ago that one-ups the Chase Sapphire, the Amex Gold is doing 4x points on restaurants and 4x points on groceries, for a $250 fee. $100 credit on airline incidentals per year and a $10/month credit on Grubhub (stupid). Currently I'm doing restaurants on my Uber card for 4% cash back, but this beats for almost 8% cash back at restaurants.

Currently I'm paying $95 annual fee for the Amex blue cash preferred for 6% at groceries stores, and w/ Amex points being worth almost 2c per point this beats that, so I can cancel that Amex card and break even on fees.

LMK if anyone wants to split a referral fee

I'll tell you in a few weeks.

Following up on this. Ended up working -- filled out an application and sent in an ad for the cheaper price and got a check for $500 from Chase a couple of weeks later. Ended up with a crazy deal on the tv.

Whoa, finally a card came out a couple of days ago that one-ups the Chase Sapphire, the Amex Gold is doing 4x points on restaurants and 4x points on groceries, for a $250 fee. $100 credit on airline incidentals per year and a $10/month credit on Grubhub (stupid). Currently I'm doing restaurants on my Uber card for 4% cash back, but this beats for almost 8% cash back at restaurants.

Currently I'm paying $95 annual fee for the Amex blue cash preferred for 6% at groceries stores, and w/ Amex points being worth almost 2c per point this beats that, so I can cancel that Amex card and break even on fees.

Is there any reason not to go with Amex gold for restaurants and groceries (4% on each), then Amex Plat for travel (5% on hotels and flights)? Only thing I see missing would be gas?

this is the reason not to go AmEx

mike-krzyzewski-postcard-coach-k-duke-american-express_a-G-8757900-0.jpg

Is there any reason not to go with Amex gold for restaurants and groceries (4% on each), then Amex Plat for travel (5% on hotels and flights)? Only thing I see missing would be gas?

Sure, and you can find a $0 annual fee 5% gas card out there. I spend $300-400/month on Ubers as well, so looking at the US Bank card which gives 5% back on Uber mixed with pre-paying the Uber through the app which gives an extra 5% off they just started a few weeks ago. Sounds like Uber needs some cash.

Walk me through the 8% cash back at restaurants? 4x points and then...?

This is a dumb question, but when is the annual fee charged on a new card like the Amex Gold or CSR? After the first year, or immediately upon opening? I assume the benefits of either of those cards more than make up for the annual fee?

Annual fee charged on first statement usually, and then annually at same point

Yes, usually the perks make.up for the fee if you use the card correctly. Pay bill in full every month, use it at places where you get bonus points and use it enough to make up for the cost of fee.

Quite a few of the fees are waived for the first year. Usually the ones that are not waived for the first year are the fees that are more than $100. Most of them under $100 usually get waived for the first year.

If you use something like "Mint" it's really easy to calculate how much money you spend on, say, travel and restaurants then take, say, 4% of that, then subtract your annual fee to find the benefit of having that card.

And what Palma and dubs said.

Last edited:
Who has the Amazon Prime card? Would you recommend it?

I'm already a Prime member and do regular shopping on Amazon.

We got it maybe 6 months ago.

We use it pretty much exclusively for Amazon and Whole Foods purchases—5% back is a good deal if you’re shopping there anyway.

It’s a Chase card and they don’t ebill to my bank bill pay, so that’s a small negative.

Back