• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Airline Rewards Credit Cards

Just got the 125K(!!!) AmEx Platinum offer. Seems like a no-brainer to cancel the CSR and go with the AmEx, right? Especially since they have the new AmEX Centurion lounge in CLT. My wife can also go with the CSR shortly thereafter if we really want to cycle cards. Anything I'm missing here?

Just got the 125K(!!!) AmEx Platinum offer. Seems like a no-brainer to cancel the CSR and go with the AmEx, right? Especially since they have the new AmEX Centurion lounge in CLT. My wife can also go with the CSR shortly thereafter if we really want to cycle cards. Anything I'm missing here?
nice, be sure and use the $300 travel credit before canceling

The two compliment each other fairly well. It's a no brainer to take the 125k offer , especially with 10x gas and groceries for the next 6 months. The AMEX Platinum doesn't have any bonus points earned on dining, so if you eat out alot you can keep the CSR and charge your dining on that. No need to cancel the CSR if you can use the $300 travel credits (uber/lyft applies), $120 in doordash credits, and use lyft regularly. If you never use lyft or can't use doordash, then maybe you'd want to cancel the CSR.

But yes, you and the wife cycling the Chase Sapphire signup bonuses every 4 years makes sense. I'd think you'd have to travel alot to keep the AMEX platinum long term, and/or really like the lounge access, AMEX fine hotels.

Although the AMEX gold is probably better for dining/groceries than CSR, so those two might be the two I'd run (I applied for Platinum a few weeks ago to use those two)

Last edited:
Didn't amex modify the centurion lounge access requirements recently. And the annual fee is now $650 or something. But 125k is nice. CSP has 80k offer right now and I think you can get referral bonus for it also.

The Blue Cash Preferred card for those who have it, make sure to move all your streaming subscriptions to that, as it's 6% cash back which is a nice lil perk. For those who don't have it, it's a p sweet 6% cash back on groceries & 3% back on Gas for a $95 annual fee that I think is waived the first year + $300 signup bonus.

Signed up for the Amazon card today after looking at my annual amazon spend, 5% off ain't bad for a $0 annual fee.

I just got denied for the Capital One Venture card

I’m offended

I had that and cancelled it a year or so ago. It was fantastic when it had 10x hotels.com points to go with it, worked out to be like 20% off hotel stays. Will sign up for it again in a year or so for the signup bonus.

I think it’s the first time I’ve been rejected for a card and I don’t know why

Biding my time until my sapphire bonus clock runs out this summer, so staying away from Chase cards

AmEx platinum is intriguing but I don’t know that the $550 fee makes sense for me given how many points I have in the Chase platform and the number of perks that are geared toward luxury travel

I think it’s the first time I’ve been rejected for a card and I don’t know why

Biding my time until my sapphire bonus clock runs out this summer, so staying away from Chase cards

AmEx platinum is intriguing but I don’t know that the $550 fee makes sense for me given how many points I have in the Chase platform and the number of perks that are geared toward luxury travel

I'm having a hard time finding great value in using the AMEX points tbh. Almost feel like burning em all on a roomba.

okay y'all seem like experts so I'm bumping this ish.

I have a few cards and some competing goals. Trying to figure out my best strategy for using these.

I have CSR, a Barclays AA Aviator Red for AA miles, a Chase Marriott Bonvoy, and a new Capital One Venture card. I also use Diners Club for business expenses.

I like having AA miles in my account for upgrading international flights, so the goal is to always have 150-200k miles built up - and I'm not flying a lot right now.

I also have enjoyed Marriott points, but as often as we're staying in Airbnb's now, I'm cutting back on using that card as much.

Trying to figure out if i'm better off using the CSR or the Capital One Venture card, and if I should use either of them before I use the AA card - i.e. if I'm wasting value by focusing on AA miles.

This is CONFUSING.

okay y'all seem like experts so I'm bumping this ish.

I have a few cards and some competing goals. Trying to figure out my best strategy for using these.

I have CSR, a Barclays AA Aviator Red for AA miles, a Chase Marriott Bonvoy, and a new Capital One Venture card. I also use Diners Club for business expenses.

I like having AA miles in my account for upgrading international flights, so the goal is to always have 150-200k miles built up - and I'm not flying a lot right now.

I also have enjoyed Marriott points, but as often as we're staying in Airbnb's now, I'm cutting back on using that card as much.

Trying to figure out if i'm better off using the CSR or the Capital One Venture card, and if I should use either of them before I use the AA card - i.e. if I'm wasting value by focusing on AA miles.

This is CONFUSING.

Use the CSR when it's a bonus category (namely dining & travel, full list below) and use the Capital One Venture Rewards card on everything that isn't a bonus category.

10X Earn 10X total points on hotels and car rentals when you purchase travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
5X Earn 5X total points on air travel.
3X 3X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out.

Probably wasting time focusing on AA miles, and you'd probably want to compare to the other 2 AA cards to see what works best in your situation.

But you can likewise use the AA card on your non-bonus category spend if you don't have the 200k miles saved up and it gets you about the same value as when you put it on your capital one venture rewards (both get you 2x points and each point worth roughly 1.4cents, so it's like 2.8% return). If you fly ALOT ya might want that admirals club access that comes with the more expensive citi card, as well as more elite credits.

Thank you. The reason I was trying to get AA miles is for the upgrade potential - I don’t think I can do that with Capital One points, since those don’t convert directly into miles but just reimburse travel expenses, right? Really good call on the bonuses though.

what’s the quickest way to see when you are eligible for CSR / CSP intro offers? I’d prefer not to call Chase and ask

DeacDiggler - check out nerdwallet.com, it answers most of my ?s

Check your statements and see when your last sign up bonus posted. Then add 48 months to that that. That's when you're eligible for another bonus.

My wife got a targeted 150k points for the AMEX Platinum. Man, there's a whole lot of useless credits on the revamped one, but 150k points is silly.

At work my bosses let me spread the spend around on a few different cards, all maximizing shit. Like we get 5x back on our IT spend which is like $10k/month. 5x back on our phone/internet bill, for $4k/month, etc. My one boss has like 2.5 million AMEX points at this point, just need to get them to let me use the damn points cause there ain't no way in hell he's gonna be able to use up all these things.

My wife got a targeted 150k points for the AMEX Platinum. Man, there's a whole lot of useless credits on the revamped one, but 150k points is silly.

At work my bosses let me spread the spend around on a few different cards, all maximizing shit. Like we get 5x back on our IT spend which is like $10k/month. 5x back on our phone/internet bill, for $4k/month, etc. My one boss has like 2.5 million AMEX points at this point, just need to get them to let me use the damn points cause there ain't no way in hell he's gonna be able to use up all these things.

I have the Gold and love it and have been keeping an eye out for that bonus but like you said, there’s just so much useless stuff on the Platinum.

Back