• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Airline Rewards Credit Cards

My wife got a targeted 150k points for the AMEX Platinum. Man, there's a whole lot of useless credits on the revamped one, but 150k points is silly.

decided to pull the trigger on this, man that's an annoying amount of free shit you get with it. Equinox app?

The roughly 20% back the venture X gives back on hotels may end up being the deciding factor of whether I do a Christmas-NY vacation or not. Hotel prices in Hawaii are nuts. I ordinarily don’t feel comfortable paying more than $250/night on hotels and Hawaii is $1k/night right now

If I look this up am I going to find that you are embellishing the prices and they are more like half that unless you are living the white lotus lifestyle and hitting up the four seasons?

The roughly 20% back the venture X gives back on hotels may end up being the deciding factor of whether I do a Christmas-NY vacation or not. Hotel prices in Hawaii are nuts. I ordinarily don’t feel comfortable paying more than $250/night on hotels and Hawaii is $1k/night right now

I found a pretty sweet airbnb when we went to hawaii with a nice private yard + hot tub and close enough to a main restaurant strip + some beaches (or very easy drive down to the nicer resort beaches), hotel prices were indeed insane, and that was pre-pandemic and inflation.

I found a pretty sweet airbnb when we went to hawaii with a nice private yard + hot tub and close enough to a main restaurant strip + some beaches (or very easy drive down to the nicer resort beaches), hotel prices were indeed insane, and that was pre-pandemic and inflation.

The venture X also gives a $200 credit for air bnb so this may be how we go.

068e17def322af4bd277ed4187a86fa0.png

we were looking at maldives and some of those places are stupidly expensive too. think i'm passing.

SWA Chase card gets you a companion pass through 2/28/23 with a referral (and 30k points)

lemme know if you want the link

Can somebody explain how bad of an idea it is to cancel a card with a relatively high limit for credit utilization purposes.

My wife used to travel a lot for work and she has the Delta Platinum AmEx card that has a $250 annual fee. She also has two Hilton AmEx cards. One was previously a MasterCard, but it converted to AmEx. I have a Delta Gold.

We'd like to streamline the cards we have down to a single Delta and a single Hilton. I'm the one traveling for work now, so the plan is for me to upgrade my Delta Gold to Platinum or Reserve and then cancel hers. Any thoughts?

Can somebody explain how bad of an idea it is to cancel a card with a relatively high limit for credit utilization purposes.

My wife used to travel a lot for work and she has the Delta Platinum AmEx card that has a $250 annual fee. She also has two Hilton AmEx cards. One was previously a MasterCard, but it converted to AmEx. I have a Delta Gold.

We'd like to streamline the cards we have down to a single Delta and a single Hilton. I'm the one traveling for work now, so the plan is for me to upgrade my Delta Gold to Platinum or Reserve and then cancel hers. Any thoughts?
Depends on how high of a limit you have on the ones you keep. If you're only using 10% of your new limit you should be OK and not have to worry about it. The other factor is the average age of the accounts, you could get dinged if you cancel an older account and your average age decreases.

If they are some of her oldest cards just downgrade them to the no annual fee versions. If they are newer I don't worry about cancelling.

If they are some of her oldest cards just downgrade them to the no annual fee versions. If they are newer I don't worry about cancelling.
This is the way to go if you want to avoid the fee and not worry about closing the line of credit. Right at the start of covid I product changed my Sapphire Reserve to a no fee card because I figured I wouldn't be traveling for a while. I product changed back up to the SR and it's considered the same line of credit. Probably worth noting that if you do product change back up to the premium card you won't be eligible for whatever sign up bonus they have going because a bonus has already been issued on that line of credit.

Thanks everybody. She’s downgrading and I’m upgrading.

okay, I need someone to explain like I'm 5

I have a bunch of Capitol One miles. in the past I've always used them just 1:1 to cover travel purchases. After reading some on The Points Guy, it seems I can get better value for them by transferring to an airline rewards program. I read this article last night but still don't really understand how it works:

So can someone explain how I would use my miles, say for a planned domestic Delta flight, and get better than a 1:1 value? Or can I only get that better ratio if I am doing international flights?

I think it’s saying that the 1:1 value is whatever the cost of the ticket it’s 1 cent per mile, so a 500 dollar ticket is 50,000 miles, but if you transfer to say skymiles, that same 500 dollar ticket depending on when you book and a bunch of other things could be 30,000 skymiles, so a much better value

Back