• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Airline Rewards Credit Cards

Does anyone know how the oneworld alliance works?

Basically my boss loves to fly American because of his ff level. I would like to get Chase Sapphire and transfer pts to British Airways (on the oneworld alliance, american is not), but the internetz do an awful job explaining how to execute the oneworld alliances and if this is a good idea.

I'm not totally sure I understand your question, but I'll try to help. I'm more familiar with Star Alliance than OneWorld, but I think it all works out about the same. If you have BA Avios miles, you should be able to use them to book travel on any of their partners, which includes AA. Partner awards may or may not be bookable online (you might have to call) but this varies airline to airline and I'm not familiar enough with BA.

The thing is, the number of miles you have to redeem for flights is dependent on the airline who's miles you're using. BA's new Avios system has some pretty crappy redemption rates for a lot of international travel (plus fuel surcharges) but also some pretty good values for domestic AA rewards (that I believe are surcharge-free). So it all depends on what you're trying to do, but the short answer is that yes, you can book AA flights with BA miles and vice versa.

httd/awar- did yall get the preffered or just the sapphire?

do you think it's easy enough to make up the $95 annual fee? (recognizing there is no fee for the first year)

do you think it's easy enough to make up the $95 annual fee? (recognizing there is no fee for the first year)

Yes. If you spend $3,000 a month, you're getting about $30 in points. Food & Travel count as double points.

Additionally, you get a 7% points dividend on everything you earned in the previous year.

And...we got 50,000 points (roughly $500) for spending $3,000 in the first three months.

yeah, they're doing 40,000 points right now. i'm going to apply for it to buy our tickets to NC (so double points back to NC) and start racking points for a trip next year.

i'm trying to think if we spend that much in a month, though. i need to figure out how i can pay rent online.

i'm trying to think if we spend that much in a month, though. i need to figure out how i can pay rent online.

Put EVERYTHING you can on your CC - you'll earn more points and solidify your credit score (assuming you're paying it off every month).

Most months, the only thing I can't put on the CC are some of my student loan payments.

Put EVERYTHING you can on your CC - you'll earn more points and solidify your credit score (assuming you're paying it off every month).

Most months, the only thing I can't put on the CC are some of my student loan payments.

We would be rolling in points if we could do this.

You'd have to spent $800 a month to break even on the second year (first year fee is waived).

You'd have to spent $800 a month to break even on the second year (first year fee is waived).

yeah. i think we do that... i honestly don't know if we spend that much a month outside of rent.
to the books!

Yes. If you spend $3,000 a month, you're getting about $30 in points. Food & Travel count as double points.

Additionally, you get a 7% points dividend on everything you earned in the previous year.

And...we got 50,000 points (roughly $500) for spending $3,000 in the first three months.

That's legit

I think after a year you can downgrade to the Chase Sapphire to avoid the fee, take advantage of 40k pts and avoid the credit hit from closing.

HTTD any input?

instapproval. noice.

I think after a year you can downgrade to the Chase Sapphire to avoid the fee, take advantage of 40k pts and avoid the credit hit from closing.

HTTD any input?

I hadn't heard that. Have a link for that info?

It's not a huge deal. We earn enough points to offset the charge in 3 months.

I think you are severely under-valuing the points in your calculation. 1c per point is the bare minimum I would value UR points at. If you redeem them for united premium travel or Hyatt's more expensive properties, they can be worth a lot more.

yeah, they're doing 40,000 points right now. i'm going to apply for it to buy our tickets to NC (so double points back to NC) and start racking points for a trip next year.

Be sure to log in to the UR site and click on the travelocity link to buy your tickets. Travelocity currently has a 2x bonus, and, combined with the 2x bonus for travel, you will get 4 points per $ on your tickets.

I think you are severely under-valuing the points in your calculation. 1c per point is the bare minimum I would value UR points at. If you redeem them for united premium travel or Hyatt's more expensive properties, they can be worth a lot more.

Yeah, I was using the bare minimum calculation and redemption worth in my example.

Back