• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Airline Rewards Credit Cards

Be sure to log in to the UR site and click on the travelocity link to buy your tickets. Travelocity currently has a 2x bonus, and, combined with the 2x bonus for travel, you will get 4 points per $ on your tickets.

trust me, i know :) 4000 points worth of tickets hollaaaaa

I use both the Chase Freedom Card and the AmEx Premier Rewards Gold Card.

Chase Freedom has 5% cash back on certain categories, rotating every three months (schedule here). You can also sometimes get 10% back on certain stores. For everything else, it's 1%.

When my purchases aren't getting me 5 or 10% back with my Chase card, I use my AmEx card. I initially got 50,000 free points ($500) and have been very impressed with AmEx in general. I also receive 3% back on airline fare, 2% back on gas and groceries, and 1% back on everything else. They also have some great relationships where you can get up to 10% back and legit discounts on airfare and such.

Don't you pay $.10 more per gallon using a credit card over a debit card?

Don't you pay $.10 more per gallon using a credit card over a debit card?

I've run into that with some gas stations right off the highway on road trips, but none of the ones around Atlanta (or any other city I have lived in) have different credit pricing.

Its standard in LA now, especially by the one right near my house. Been here too long to know if thats normal elsewhere or not.

so to hit the $3000 in 3 months thing, our monthly expenses (unless we can get rent on there) don't add up to that. my thought: buy gas cards/grocery gift cards to hit the spending requirements.
there's no reason this wouldn't be ok, right?

baller. i feel like i'm cheating.
so stoked to get my radical card!

so to hit the $3000 in 3 months thing, our monthly expenses (unless we can get rent on there) don't add up to that. my thought: buy gas cards/grocery gift cards to hit the spending requirements.
there's no reason this wouldn't be ok, right?

That definitely works. One of the other chase cards (the ink bold) has a 5x office supplies store bonus and you'd better believe that some people have been gaming the system and buying a ton of gift cards and prepaid credit cards at Office Max to get tons of bonus points.

I'd consider it if I lived in the US. For me, though, the no foreign transactions fees is what sold me on the sapphire preferred. It's too hard to make the gift card thing work over here, so I'll just stick to normal spending (which usually includes a ton of plane tickets).

Not sure how common sapphire preferred cards are in different places, but I'd say 50% of vendors I've run into make some sort of comment on the composition of the card.

i know! i'm so stoked to get it- my fancy grown-up card. i love my REI card, but the points for travel are where it's at.
REI card will be limited to REI transactions from here out. though i do get 1% cash on everything with REI, which is similar to preferred, i get 5% on REI purchases (in addition to 10% dividend, but i don't get dividend on employee purchases... but basically, normal people who shop at REI w/ an REI card get 15% back).

I don't have a credit card but I am with Allegacy (Credit Union), and am looking to get one in the near future. Should I do it through them or go outside?

I don't have a credit card but I am with Allegacy (Credit Union), and am looking to get one in the near future. Should I do it through them or go outside?

If you have little, or no credit history, a credit union could be your best bet to get your feet off the ground.

If you have little, or no credit history, a credit union could be your best bet to get your feet off the ground.

That's what I figured. I'm going to meet with them soon and see what they have to offer.

It depends how good your credit is and what kinds of rewards you are looking to get. If you have a 770+ credit score, basically get what you want.

The toy and I spend $800/month on gas. Right now we're taking advantage of the 5% gas rotating category but it expires at the end of September. Any recommendations for a good gas card? I have average credit (740) and I can't get the PenFed 5% gas card. Right now getting a Costco membership and their AmEx (3% on gas) seems like my best option.

Back