• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Airline Rewards Credit Cards

The toy and I spend $800/month on gas. Right now we're taking advantage of the 5% gas rotating category but it expires at the end of September. Any recommendations for a good gas card? I have average credit (740) and I can't get the PenFed 5% gas card. Right now getting a Costco membership and their AmEx (3% on gas) seems like my best option.

SWEET MARY. $800 on gas? how long is your commute!?

I don't have a credit card but I am with Allegacy (Credit Union), and am looking to get one in the near future. Should I do it through them or go outside?

I think Allegacy does credit cards through Bank of America.

so chase is offering $150 as an incentive to opening a checking account with them.

-it has to carry at least $1500 in it
-you have to have it open at least 6 months

...why should i NOT just plop some money in there, get my free money, and then close it out in 6 months? will that hurt anything?

I think it will show up on your credit score, but chase offers some benefits when people have multiple chase products.

Bump. Just got the chase sapphire preferred per advice on this thread. Really looking forward to the 40k point bonus. Once the fee kicks in I'll probably downgrade it to sapphire or cancel it altogether.

Our largest monthly expense (other than rent/student loans) is gas so we'll use the Chase card to fuel up until my Discover card gets 5% on gas July-September. Last year Discover had gas for two of the four 5% rotating categories but this year it looks like it'll only be for one. Chase Freedom definitely wins the 2013 award for best rotating credit card; they have gas for two of the four rotating categories. The other one, Citi Dividend, is a joke (Q1 5% at Zappos.com, Drugstores, Fitness Clubs lol).

I really want the AmEx Blue Cash Preferred card. 6% groceries and 3% gas/department stores, although apparently they just capped the rewards.

so chase is offering $150 as an incentive to opening a checking account with them.

...why should i NOT just plop some money in there, get my free money, and then close it out in 6 months? will that hurt anything?

don't think so, just a pain in the ass for $150

don't think so, just a pain in the ass for $150

For a 10% return for 6 months, I could live with it.

So who here has the Starwood AMEX? How easy is it to use those points for miles for airlines? Seems like a pretty great card all around, and the fact that you can transfer points to 30 airlines (including 2:1 for United) is pretty good.

I'm having lots of trouble deciding which card is best, mostly because I don't quite understand how it all works with the Star Alliance airlines. If I have a United card, can I use those miles to get flights on other Star Alliance airlines, or do they not transfer?

The toy and I spend $800/month on gas. Right now we're taking advantage of the 5% gas rotating category but it expires at the end of September. Any recommendations for a good gas card? I have average credit (740) and I can't get the PenFed 5% gas card. Right now getting a Costco membership and their AmEx (3% on gas) seems like my best option.

Costco Amex card gives 3% to regular members & 4% to business members for gas...problem with this card the 3-4% only applies if you purchase gas @ Costco. Unless you purchase gas @ a branded service station it will only pay you 1%, i.e. convenience stores etc. I use the Costco Amex card and also the BAC BankAmericard Visa which gives 3% for gas anywhere...Plus BAC will give you $100 just to sign on...

Mileage cards are a rip off...go to Clarkhoward.com and research...best value is shopping for your flight on a Tues-Wed. and be flexible when you travel.

Wells Fargo's credit card sucks, I wish they offered something comparable to the BAC BankAmericard

So who here has the Starwood AMEX? How easy is it to use those points for miles for airlines? Seems like a pretty great card all around, and the fact that you can transfer points to 30 airlines (including 2:1 for United) is pretty good.

I'm having lots of trouble deciding which card is best, mostly because I don't quite understand how it all works with the Star Alliance airlines. If I have a United card, can I use those miles to get flights on other Star Alliance airlines, or do they not transfer?

I have the Starwood AmEx but only use it to accumulate hotel points. For airlines I use Chase Sapphire Preferred.

Starwood card is extremely popular among consultants and the like (I am one). I would never transfer points to United though, not when you can get 1:1 with American, US Airways*, and Delta. Obviously only really valuable if you're staying at Starwood properties (Sheraton, Westin, The W, St Regis, and a few others for the uninitiated. I personally use an AA Citicard for my tickets and the Starwood for everything else. If Chase had a transfer agreement with American I'd probably go for the Sapphire Preferred instead of the AA card though.

*Not really up on any differences in the redemption tables, but US Airway is also in the Star Alliance so you should be able to use these points for other members, including United.

I just did the Chase Sapphire Preferred card as well, largely because I eat out so often that its fairly foolish not to, and sweet jesus the limits they're approving are much much higher than the last time I applied for a card, yet my credit is not that significantly better. The lending bubble is BACK.

Just got the CSP as well. The fucking call this number to activate now sticker peeled some of the copper coating off of the EMV chip. They are sending me a new one.

What's the advantage of the Chase Sapphire Preferred vs. the Capital One Venture Rewards? looks like you get twice the bonus at initial sign up, but the annual fee is higher and you get 1 mile per dollar with CSP (2 miles on travel and dining) vs. 2 miles per dollar on everything with Capital One

What's the advantage of the Chase Sapphire Preferred vs. the Capital One Venture Rewards? looks like you get twice the bonus at initial sign up, but the annual fee is higher and you get 1 mile per dollar with CSP (2 miles on travel and dining) vs. 2 miles per dollar on everything with Capital One

3 ppd on the first friday of the month eating out, discounted airfare if you go through the csp rewards site and 2 ppd on travel, shopping through the rewards mall is easy to get more points, points dividend every year, easy points transfer with other cards (if you have other cards), and the customer service is really fantastic.

Do you get more potential ways to spend your points on the Chase Sapphire vs the Capital One, with Cap One requiring you to use it on travel?

And 40,000 points that can pay for $500 worth of travel expenses (so it looks like its an extra $300 of savings) appears worth it just to get multiple cards and put Dining, etc. on CSP and then non double points on your Cap One card.

I picked up 2, the CSP for dining and a second one (DiscoverIt) that has 0 interest for 14 months, so if I want to pay down some interest paying debt I can just put charges on the Discover card.

Do you get more potential ways to spend your points on the Chase Sapphire vs the Capital One, with Cap One requiring you to use it on travel?

And 40,000 points that can pay for $500 worth of travel expenses (so it looks like its an extra $300 of savings) appears worth it just to get multiple cards and put Dining, etc. on CSP and then non double points on your Cap One card.

I picked up 2, the CSP for dining and a second one (DiscoverIt) that has 0 interest for 14 months, so if I want to pay down some interest paying debt I can just put charges on the Discover card.

Palma, we are the same person. I too signed up for the Discover rotating 5% reward card and the CSP. Those are in addition to me Amex BCE. I'm going to sign up for a few more once these softies roll off my report.

Palma, we are the same person. I too signed up for the Discover rotating 5% reward card and the CSP. Those are in addition to me Amex BCE. I'm going to sign up for a few more once these softies roll off my report.

Heh, I also got the DiscoverIT one so I could perhaps cancel my like $8.95/mo credit monitoring charge I eat with the monthly FICO scores, and just build up purchases on it to probably wipe out that lending club thing I did last year.

Back