• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Airline Rewards Credit Cards

Yeah I don't worry about the monthly scores. I just use Credit Karma in the interim.

I monitored it because I knew my car lease was coming up and ended up getting a new car a few weeks ago.

are there miles for signing up with the discovery card?

gotcha.

i need to get another card for the sake of the free miles right now; too many plane tickets to buy and i dont think it will hurt anything to sign up for another just for the bonus....

gotcha.

i need to get another card for the sake of the free miles right now; too many plane tickets to buy and i dont think it will hurt anything to sign up for another just for the bonus....

I got it solely for the transfer purposes if for like for any reason you had a balance or something or wanted to use the year and a half to go interest free on a car loan - student loan and pay that off (or in my case the lending club $$ that was over 10% interest rate)

Gotcha. What kind of car did you get?

an '06 BMW. I could walk to the dealership a quarter of a mile away and I spent a grand total of seven minutes making the decision. Not a car guy, and a lazy shopper. I liked the color and wanted a lowish monthly payment as my last lease was way too high ($520/mo)

an '06 BMW. I could walk to the dealership a quarter of a mile away and I spent a grand total of seven minutes making the decision. Not a car guy, and a lazy shopper. I liked the color and wanted a lowish monthly payment as my last lease was way too high ($520/mo)

$520/month?!

sweet shit, that's an atrocious rate.

$520/month?!

sweet shit, that's an atrocious rate.

I did it as a favor for my best friend who had a kid and couldn't fit a baby seat in the back seat, and I needed an upgrade on my previous one, so had it for like ~18 months and took over his lease. But I miss that car already, that system was insane. The value they tried to sell it to us at after the lease was like $30k, which is just way too high for a used Volvo, even if its fully equipped.

gotcha.

We got a US Airways card recently for the sign-up bonus. We're finding it challenging to redeem those miles because unlike CSP, you need enough existing points to purchase the ticket - no partial purchases allowed. There are so many blackouts and awful point redemption rates, too.

So you're left with buying a ticket ridiculously far in advance, buying points on their site, or using the credit card to accrue more points (we had no intentions of doing the latter) so that you can use those sign-up miles.

should i get an amex (i use an amex corporate for work pretty regularly, so I could transfer those points to my own card as well), or an airline specific card? I usually end up flying US Air or American Airlines, but there's also the occassional Delta or Southwest flight too, since Raleigh isn't really a hub for anything. suggestions?

Well US and American are about to be the same.

I have the US Airways card and it kind of sucks. I just transferred the balance to a new 0% card to go ahead and cancel it, but then they offered me 0% on balance transfers so I transferred a different card. Will pay that off and cancel it prior to the end of the promotional period.

We went all in on the capital one venture card. We've got a couple of other cards, but pretty much use the capital one card for everything and have racked up a shit ton of points as a result. I haven't used the travel eraser feature, but it's ridiculously easy to buy flights through the capital one portal and we've been very happy with the customer service too. No foreign transaction fees has been great for international travel too.

gotcha.

Do you plan to travel between Southwest/AirTran airports? The Southwest annual card doesn't waive the annual fee, but gives you two free flights worth of miles. I read the miles are devaluing soon though.

Barclaycard Arrival World Mastercard is pretty solid if you want a travel rewards card that just has a 2% back for all purchases deal. $400 bonus to start as well. Plus you get 10% of your reward money back after you redeem it, so it's really 2.2% You can redeem your points on any flight or hotel paid for by your card - they show up automatically on a list of eligible purchases and you can do partials and obviously no blackout dates.

There are a lot of arguments about whether this is better than the Chase Preferred Sapphire - sounds like it boils down to how specific your travel dates are and whether you can leverage lower priced flights through miles specials.

We went all in on the capital one venture card. We've got a couple of other cards, but pretty much use the capital one card for everything and have racked up a shit ton of points as a result. I haven't used the travel eraser feature, but it's ridiculously easy to buy flights through the capital one portal and we've been very happy with the customer service too. No foreign transaction fees has been great for international travel too.

Same here. Over 100k miles sitting in the account. Apparently I need to travel more.

is there an annual fee for the venture card?

Heh, I also got the DiscoverIT one so I could perhaps cancel my like $8.95/mo credit monitoring charge I eat with the monthly FICO scores, and just build up purchases on it to probably wipe out that lending club thing I did last year.
Wait, what happened to your Lending Club thing?

Back