• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Airline Rewards Credit Cards

It looks like I'm getting raped by one of my credit cards. I took like a $500 advance out on the card a long time ago. I know this charges a higher interest rate than purchases. Yet if I go back through my history, I see that my "interest subject to cash advances" keeps going up, despite that I make my payment every month. I understand they can apply the payment to the lower balance (purchases) but my "cash advance" amount shouldn't increase. What is this sorcery?

just gave the customer service rep my 2 cents. Tis quite the racket these guys have come up with.

It looks like I'm getting raped by one of my credit cards. I took like a $500 advance out on the card a long time ago. I know this charges a higher interest rate than purchases. Yet if I go back through my history, I see that my "interest subject to cash advances" keeps going up, despite that I make my payment every month. I understand they can apply the payment to the lower balance (purchases) but my "cash advance" amount shouldn't increase. What is this sorcery?

Why are you carrying a balance on your credit card?

Why are you carrying a balance on your credit card?

cause I like to live above my means like a real american.

Pretty easy fix, by law they have to apply anything over a min payment to the highest interest rate, so you just throw all your expenses on one card one month and pay over the min one month and that higher rate goes away, but man I got fucked not noticing earlier.

New Chase Sapphire Reserve is niiiice. 100K signup bonus!

Yeah, but $450 annual fee? wtf is that.

Yeah, but $450 annual fee? wtf is that.

You get a $300 annual travel credit that is super easy to use, so it's really $150 a year. 100,000k points are worth like 2 grand.

that's standard for the highest-end cards, but the $300 credit takes care of 2/3 of that cost, plus 100K points - transferable to a bunch of airlines - is easily worth the net $150 payment.

I don't normally spend $4,000 over three months for credit card-eligible things, but man...

wonder if I'd have to cancel my other Chase Sapphire first

You get a $300 annual travel credit that is super easy to use, so it's really $150 a year. 100,000k points are worth like 2 grand.

yeah, i read all of that. even reading the fine print, not entirely sure how the $300 credit works. if i buy a plane ticket for $350, $300 of it will be credited back to me?

I don't normally spend $4,000 over three months for credit card-eligible things, but man...

yeah, i'm struggling to think of $4000 in spending, even if I figured out a way to put my rent on there.

I think you just have to not upgrade your other Chase Sapphire. If you apply like you're getting a new card, you should get the bonus. Then just downgrade or cancel your other Chase card if it's another that has a fee.

$4000 would be about 1 month of spending for me...or less...

yeah, i read all of that. even reading the fine print, not entirely sure how the $300 credit works. if i buy a plane ticket for $350, $300 of it will be credited back to me?

yeah, i'm struggling to think of $4000 in spending, even if I figured out a way to put my rent on there.

I'm pretty sure the $300 will automatically be credited to your account once you spend that on something travel related. It's not just airfare with Chase though, it includes taxis, hotels, rental cars. Maybe Uber? Not sure.

The card also gets 3 pts for anything travel related AND for restaurants. And each point is worth 1.5c if you book travel stuff with it through Chase Rewards, which is better than the rate for most airline miles rewards.

I'm pretty sure the $300 will automatically be credited to your account once you spend that on something travel related. It's not just airfare with Chase though, it includes taxis, hotels, rental cars. Maybe Uber? Not sure.

The card also gets 3 pts for anything travel related AND for restaurants. And each point is worth 1.5c if you book travel stuff with it through Chase Rewards, which is better than the rate for most airline miles rewards.

yeah, in reading through everything more thoroughly and reading The Points Guy review/comparison, it's actually pretty sweet and would be easy to make up the $450 annual fee.
that said, I really and truly can't think of $4000 in spending... even knowing its net $2500 spending, since you get $1500 travel credit (in the 100,000 points) for making it happen.

I think you just have to not upgrade your other Chase Sapphire. If you apply like you're getting a new card, you should get the bonus. Then just downgrade or cancel your other Chase card if it's another that has a fee.

$4000 would be about 1 month of spending for me...or less...

Thanks. Don't think I'll do since I'd have to overspend by a good bit to hit the minimum.

$4000 in credit card-eligible spending in a month? Damn.

Back