• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Airline Rewards Credit Cards

I use the jetblue amex, but I'm right near JFK. Otherwise probably not worth it at all

I use the jetblue amex, but I'm right near JFK. Otherwise probably not worth it at all

You're lucky. If I have to fly to the NYC or Boston, I don't even look to another airline.

Any idea which ones do and dont?

I can only speak for my unique experience. My Perkins and Stafford loans through various lenders will not allow CC payment, but my loans from the Military Officers Association of America will.

Agree with you and PhD.

Definitely my "go to" airline. We live near Burlington, VT which flies into JFK a few times a day and then everywhere. I don't know the specifics of the card but the wife pays it off every month so the details aren't terribly important.

I currently have the Bank Of America Power Rewards card. Tons of rewards options, including travel, but not sure if they are as good as some of the other cards listed. No annual fee though. Anyone know if the BOA one is as good as the Sapphire one with no fee?

Right now I have the plain old Amex green card where I don't get great rewards. I'm slowly building up my credit until I can get something better. If I upgrade to a better Amex, what should I choose?

I use both the Chase Freedom Card and the AmEx Premier Rewards Gold Card.

Chase Freedom has 5% cash back on certain categories, rotating every three months (schedule here). You can also sometimes get 10% back on certain stores. For everything else, it's 1%.

When my purchases aren't getting me 5 or 10% back with my Chase card, I use my AmEx card. I initially got 50,000 free points ($500) and have been very impressed with AmEx in general. I also receive 3% back on airline fare, 2% back on gas and groceries, and 1% back on everything else. They also have some great relationships where you can get up to 10% back and legit discounts on airfare and such.

Great feedback.

I'm thinking we'll go with Chase Sapphire Preferred - it has great reviews on a couple of the credit card sites I've visited, and its flexibility is nice.

Last edited:
Interesting, just read the conclusion of this thread after probably deciding to go w/ Chase myself.
HTTD/AWAR, have you been pleased so far?

Yes. Great customer service and we're racking up points. We haven't tried to use any yet, though.

Also, the card is made of a metal alloy or something. It's heavy, and 3/4 people who handle it do a double-take or ask a question about it.

So is each "point" from Chase a mile in frequent flier programs?

nvm.

Last edited:
Chase also has the United MileagePlus Explorer card that I just picked up. No spend requirements and I got 30K miles. It also allows you to check one bag free on all United flights and a couple one-time use lounge passes.

FlyerTalk forums, specifically the MilesBuzz page, are a great resource if you want to keep up with credit card deals.

American express platinum has been amazing and especially with rewards. Highly recommended

Does anyone know how the oneworld alliance works?

Basically my boss loves to fly American because of his ff level. I would like to get Chase Sapphire and transfer pts to British Airways (on the oneworld alliance, american is not), but the internetz do an awful job explaining how to execute the oneworld alliances and if this is a good idea.

Amex Delta Rewards and Amex Hilton Honors for me...I cycle on an off with the Delta to avoid the fee...right now working on an anniversary trip for the wife. Have built up plenty of Hilton points so now working on the airlines. Free vacations are fun :)

Back