• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Airline Rewards Credit Cards

Anyone had any luck with trying to get a voucher out of an airline company? Any laws or regulations on this? Here was our timeline for a cancelled flight from Rome to Charlotte:

11:00am - Board
11:50 - Announce delay due to "weather" (bullshit as we watched 50 other planes take off, no weather patterns anywhere between Rome and east coast)
12:50 - Clear for take off, but can't find a tow truck to push us away from the gate (this is lol too, we weren't at a gate, boarded via bus in the middle of the tarmac)
1:30 - Pushed to another location where we waited without announcement for 30 minutes. Mechanics were working on the landing gear but nothing was announced.
2:00 - Said they were trying to get paperwork sorted out, not cleared for take off
3:45 - Taxi back to the gate and announce flight is officially cancelled
5:00 - Bussed to a hotel near the airport
7:00 - Finally given water for the first time (it was available for purchase via vending machine or bar, but at the buyers expense)
8:00 - Dinner provided at the hotel (first food the whole time)
8:30 am next day - Finally take off for Charlotte

Am I just sour grapes for an unlucky experience or do I have a claim there? I understand things happen, but the service was piss poor. Never offered any food or water for over 8 hours. What sucks the most is we both had to take extra vacation days due to the extra unplanned day. Any suggestions?

I feel like I've heard they aren't that hard to get when you have a l git case like this. Might be easier if you had booked with a rewards card like CSR and getting reimbursed by them

Anyone had any luck with trying to get a voucher out of an airline company? Any laws or regulations on this? Here was our timeline for a cancelled flight from Rome to Charlotte:

11:00am - Board
11:50 - Announce delay due to "weather" (bullshit as we watched 50 other planes take off, no weather patterns anywhere between Rome and east coast)
12:50 - Clear for take off, but can't find a tow truck to push us away from the gate (this is lol too, we weren't at a gate, boarded via bus in the middle of the tarmac)
1:30 - Pushed to another location where we waited without announcement for 30 minutes. Mechanics were working on the landing gear but nothing was announced.
2:00 - Said they were trying to get paperwork sorted out, not cleared for take off
3:45 - Taxi back to the gate and announce flight is officially cancelled
5:00 - Bussed to a hotel near the airport
7:00 - Finally given water for the first time (it was available for purchase via vending machine or bar, but at the buyers expense)
8:00 - Dinner provided at the hotel (first food the whole time)
8:30 am next day - Finally take off for Charlotte

Am I just sour grapes for an unlucky experience or do I have a claim there? I understand things happen, but the service was piss poor. Never offered any food or water for over 8 hours. What sucks the most is we both had to take extra vacation days due to the extra unplanned day. Any suggestions?

It depends on whether they classified the cancellation as due to weather or due to the mechanical issues. Either way they are required to provide you with food, water and hotel, which they did. You probably could have been more proactive and asked for vouchers at the airport.

If it was classified as a mechanical cancellation, you're due 600 euros per person under EU Law 261.

Plenty of websites will help you file a claim, but its usually worth it to email the airline first. If they are claiming weather, they will brush you off, but you can always push back. And if its mechanical, you are owed cash, but airlines often offer vouchers instead. Up to you which you want to accept.

I feel like I've heard they aren't that hard to get when you have a l git case like this. Might be easier if you had booked with a rewards card like CSR and getting reimbursed by them

I booked with CSP

The fact you were in Europe helps tremendously. File a claim and push back if they try to pull weather over mechanical or pilot hours etc.. I was on a flight from Europe where the Internet wasn’t working well and the in flight entertainment was minimal because of technical problems. They allowed you to put in a claim and I figure it would be for a free internet voucher or something equally dumb but ended up being 200 dollars.

If it is an airline that you have a miles account with, submit a customer service request and ask for a ton of miles (enough to get future tickets) for your inconvenience. I have found this is easier for them to "give" than a voucher or repayment.

Emailed AA at lunch, just received this response. Looks like they are going to pay up

Hello Mr. SD3:

Thank you for contacting American Airlines Customer Relations. My name is xxx and I am writing on behalf of my colleague.

Mr. SD3, my team and I regret your flight from Rome (FCO) was canceled on May 20, 2019. Please accept our apology for the inconvenience and impact this irregularity caused to your travel plans.

As you know, European Union Regulation (EC) No. 261/2004 of the European Parliament and Council has established common rules on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of cancelations or long delays of flights. Under this regulation, passengers are entitled to established levels of compensation, depending on the length of delay.

Our records indicate flight AA721 was canceled which resulted in arrival 4+ hours later than planned. Therefore, we offer you one of the following forms of compensation.

A. Monetary payment of 600EUR per person - or -

B. Transportation voucher in the amount of 800USD per person which may be used to purchase travel on American Airlines for you, a friend, or relative.

Transportation vouchers issued by American Airlines are valid for one year from the date of issue. Although the value must be applied toward the ticket purchase prior to that date, the travel may extend past that date. Transportation vouchers may be used toward the purchase of a ticket for future travel on American, American Eagle or any American Airlines marketed codeshare flight. The voucher may also be used on any of the airlines in our oneworld® alliance, provided American Airlines is the international carrier (international flights are defined as transatlantic, transpacific and flights to and from South America). While a voucher is nontransferable and may not be bartered or sold, you may use your voucher toward the purchase of a ticket for a friend or family member, if you choose. There are no travel embargo dates imposed due to using a voucher.

***Any voucher/mileage compensation previously provided for this issue will be removed in lieu of this settlement***

Looks like Rose Gold is back for a limited time on AMEX, but you need a referral to get it. 40,000 points for spending 2k in 3 months.

What sucks is I'm seeing a "personalized" offer for 50,000 points on the Gold card. Not worth losing 10k in points just for a limited edition color

I'm set to renew this month at $450, so I have another year to decide on keeping the card with the announced changes.  I will most certainly sign up for DashPass and use the $60.

I think I saw where new annual fee goes into effect on 1/12. So you might be paying it this round.

From the article:

Meanwhile, existing cardmembers will be able to renew at the current $450 fee, as long as their renewal fee hits prior to April 1, 2020.

Emailed AA at lunch, just received this response. Looks like they are going to pay up

Hello Mr. SD3:

Thank you for contacting American Airlines Customer Relations. My name is xxx and I am writing on behalf of my colleague.

Mr. SD3, my team and I regret your flight from Rome (FCO) was canceled on May 20, 2019. Please accept our apology for the inconvenience and impact this irregularity caused to your travel plans.

As you know, European Union Regulation (EC) No. 261/2004 of the European Parliament and Council has established common rules on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of cancelations or long delays of flights. Under this regulation, passengers are entitled to established levels of compensation, depending on the length of delay.

Our records indicate flight AA721 was canceled which resulted in arrival 4+ hours later than planned. Therefore, we offer you one of the following forms of compensation.

A. Monetary payment of 600EUR per person - or -

B. Transportation voucher in the amount of 800USD per person which may be used to purchase travel on American Airlines for you, a friend, or relative.

Transportation vouchers issued by American Airlines are valid for one year from the date of issue. Although the value must be applied toward the ticket purchase prior to that date, the travel may extend past that date. Transportation vouchers may be used toward the purchase of a ticket for future travel on American, American Eagle or any American Airlines marketed codeshare flight. The voucher may also be used on any of the airlines in our oneworld® alliance, provided American Airlines is the international carrier (international flights are defined as transatlantic, transpacific and flights to and from South America). While a voucher is nontransferable and may not be bartered or sold, you may use your voucher toward the purchase of a ticket for a friend or family member, if you choose. There are no travel embargo dates imposed due to using a voucher.

***Any voucher/mileage compensation previously provided for this issue will be removed in lieu of this settlement***

It's a shame we don't have rules like this.

That lyft pink bonus of 15% off each ride + 10x points for all lyft purchases might really get me to switch.

I don't remember the last time I didn't have a Lyft 25% off promotion but I'll take the 10x (I guess it's really just 7x).

They just opened a priority pass lounge at my airport so the few times a year my wife and I will use it should outweigh the $100 increase.

Well, here we are in month 6ish of quarantine, and I must say, I don't think I'm getting maximum value with the Chase Sapphire Reserve's points back on travel and the "free" Lyft pink...

I'll probably weather the storm at this point, but given that it covers travel and restaurants, what are people using for groceries and gas? My wife is looking to get a new card, and it doesn't seem to make sense to double up on CSR. About 1/3 of my groceries are ordered via Amazon, so we get %5 Amazon credit on that (which is essentially a wash, at best, since you have to shop from Whole Foods).

Last edited:
I'm getting 3% back on my BP gas rewards card for groceries with no limit and for gas at bp stations if you use the app along with the card its an additional 15 cents off per gallon. It helps I have a BP station nearby with close to the cheapest gas in town outside of the warehouse stores. Unfortunately, that 15 cents off cant be combined with the Harris Teeter gas rewards at BP which is pretty nice when you let it accumulate over the month. I've been looking for a consistent 5% cash back on groceries rather than cycling through the various cards with the limited promotions and have been unsuccessful at finding something I like so would love to hear if others have had any luck too.

Back