• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Airline Rewards Credit Cards

10/4, thanks. Is it worth applying for the Unlimited down the road to get the 1.5% rewards over the 1% that aren't in rotating categories or travel/dining? Does Chase allow you to have all 3? Just trying to maximize rewards here, not worried about keeping up with all three, should be pretty straight forward. Freedom for 5% on quarterly category. Preferred for 2% on travel/dining. Unlimited for 1.5% on everything else? Then all points transferred to the Preferred?

Yes it's worth it, assuming your credit is fine. I do something similar. Freedom for whatever the 5% category is, Reserve for 3% on travel/dining, Unlimited for 1.5% on anything else, and transfer all points to the Reserve as Ultimate Rewards points. Separate from this I got the Chase Amazon Prime card for 5% back on everything Amazon, but these cannot be transferred to the Ultimate Rewards system. I can send you a referral for the Unlimited if you want, just shoot me a PM.

The chase triple threat (non business cards) --> CSR - Freedom Unlimited - Freedom.

Thats what i've got and you just use the card that gets the most points at the merchant you are purchasing from. Transfer to CSR (or CSP) like tilt said. I got you a freedom unlimited referral, also.

I'f you've got anything that could be considered a business you could get the Ink Plus(?) and get 5% on office supply, mobile phone, internet and a few other categories and really maximize your points.

Just watch out for 5/24 when applying for more chase cards.

Uber set to release their credit card:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/25/uber-launches-a-credit-card/

uber-visa-card-rewards-and-benefits.jpeg

I don't have a use for it but no foreign transaction fees on a no annual free card is pretty legit

Bump - What's everyone doing for 2018? The Southwest card with the ability to get the companion pass was pretty tempting but unfortunately not all that convenient for me in Charlotte. Got a decent offer from American Airlines with 60,000 bonus miles and seems decent being a hub and in a year I know I've got a lot of personal travel scheduled.

Rolling my Chase Sapphire Reserve down to a Freedom but other that hadn't seen anything I'm too keen on yet. Suggestions?

Bump - What's everyone doing for 2018? The Southwest card with the ability to get the companion pass was pretty tempting but unfortunately not all that convenient for me in Charlotte. Got a decent offer from American Airlines with 60,000 bonus miles and seems decent being a hub and in a year I know I've got a lot of personal travel scheduled.

Rolling my Chase Sapphire Reserve down to a Freedom but other that hadn't seen anything I'm too keen on yet. Suggestions?

Just got that AA 60k. Let me know if you plan on applying and I'll send a referral. Same thing for the Amex Delta Gold.

The sign up bonuses and delayed annual fees ($100 each) seem worth it to combat the rise of the basic economy fees. Free checked bags and early boarding for both.

Do bars count as dining and eligible for 3% in the Chase ecosystem? because the Uber card specifically includes them in their 4% category.

Do bars count as dining and eligible for 3% in the Chase ecosystem? because the Uber card specifically includes them in their 4% category.

Yeah, I've never noticed any issues at booze-only bars.

Most do. And I don't think it has anything to do with the "Chase ecosystem" -- the credit card companies assign the Merchant Codes. I'd say that 95% of my bar purchases count as "Dining". I'd imagine you'd only run into trouble at bars inside of other locations like airports or Whole Foods, though I can't remember having any trouble.

I still feel like if you're looking at a card for travel only, the Chase cards are the way to go. I'm a fan of my CSR and Freedom combo - basically use the Reserve on travel and food/dining purchases, and the freedom for everything else. That said, I did manage to get it at a time when the bonus was 100k miles, which makes a difference.

Seems like chase points are good but Jesus the idea of trying to figure out how/where to transfer the miles to seems like a gigantic time suck. I spent all day on it trying to figure out/advise on our business accounts which had been using Amex platinum but then redeeming them for .7 cents a point hotel stays.

Advising on the time suck/waste of how to maximize value for an executive is difficult.

Uber Card looks decent. Main way to eliminate time suck of maximizing value is to churn cards for sign-up bonuses then cancel when it’s time to pay the annual fee. I’ve done that consistently but I’ll probably keep CSR with Ultimate Rewards despite steep $450 annual fee.

Uber Card looks decent. Main way to eliminate time suck of maximizing value is to churn cards for sign-up bonuses then cancel when it’s time to pay the annual fee. I’ve done that consistently but I’ll probably keep CSR with Ultimate Rewards despite steep $450 annual fee.

Can you get the same signup bonuses multiple times? I did the signup bonuses about 4 years ago, but now seemingly all the cards are the same, so outside of the reserve chase card, almost couldn't do it again. And probably not worth it to add the hard inquiries/decrease my avg account age score at this point as I might go house hunting soon enough.

Can you get the same signup bonuses multiple times? I did the signup bonuses about 4 years ago, but now seemingly all the cards are the same, so outside of the reserve chase card, almost couldn't do it again. And probably not worth it to add the hard inquiries/decrease my avg account age score at this point as I might go house hunting soon enough.
I’ve received the same signup bonus enrolling as my wife

Finally jumped on the Sapphire Reserve bandwagon. The $450 fee is somewhat steep but the $300 travel credit and 3x points on all travel and dining pretty much cancels that out. No real desire to constantly alternate cards for different types of purchases and travel/dining accounts for such a large percentage of our spend that it felt like the right option.

Just a heads up on a semi-related topic -- most credit cards are doing away with (or have done away with) Price Protection, which allows you to get a credit-- my card is $500 at a time and $2500 a year -- if you buy something that ends up being cheaper later (within 90 days I think). I am going to try to buy a new tv using a method I saw on AVS forum where you bid on a tv at a website called greentoe (which has legit sellers), and then find a cheaper price online from a less legit company and use price protection to get a credit for the difference. Issue is that I need to do it by Aug 28 because that is when price protection goes away on my credit card.

Back