• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Restaurants in Greensboro

funny story. my wife works with a guy who recently immigrated from Israel by way of NYC. He kept asking where he could get a good bagel so she sent him to Lox Stock and Bagel - with a name like that, they have to have good bagels, right?

So he gets there and they tell him they don't do bagels anymore but they have some frozen Thomas' bagels in a plastic bag they can warm up for him.

I can only assume the Lox isn't really happening any more either.

When you no longer serve 2/3 of your name (or even 1/3 for that matter) it's time to change names.

I'm not all that impressed with Lox Stock and Bagel either. I love the name but the food never seemed to lived up to its reputation, IMO. I have friends who love it, though.

First Carolina Deli on Spring Garden is the exact same restaurant as L, S & B. I am partial to the Hoboken and the Rutherford. Their cookies are so monte.

Anybody ever go out to Green's Supper Club for Oysters?

The Emerson is MONTE.

That is the truth. The sandwiches at Lox Stock are good.

For dinner, Table 16 is up there price wise with Marisol but much better in my opinion. For more reasonable places, I would rank 1618, Southern Lights and Print Works as the top 3. Do not waste your time at Green Valley Grille or Liberty Oak. Neither are very good. For sushi, try Sushi Republic near UNCG. There is also a newer restaurant on Spring Garden that is very good called Josephine's.

I like PrintWorks the best - cool vibe (by Greensboro standards) I really wanted to like Liberty Oak but the food didn't impress me the one time i went there. Flemings is blah. Undercurretn is great but a bit spendly. Southern Lights isway overrated IMO. Agree that both Sticks and Stones and Brixx are great, fairly cheap places to get a great pizza and good beer.

Imperial Koi up off of New Garden has great sushi if that's your bag. The Tavern off Battleground is old reliable too (though both the ones in W-S are better)

Josephine's Bistro on Spring Garden is really good. Owned by the same people as the Filling Station (corner of Walker and Elam -- also good, a notch cheaper).

I like PrintWorks the best - cool vibe (by Greensboro standards) I really wanted to like Liberty Oak but the food didn't impress me the one time i went there. Flemings is blah. Undercurretn is great but a bit spendly. Southern Lights isway overrated IMO. Agree that both Sticks and Stones and Brixx are great, fairly cheap places to get a great pizza and good beer.

Imperial Koi up off of New Garden has great sushi if that's your bag. The Tavern off Battleground is old reliable too (though both the ones in W-S are better)

Not sure when you went to Southern Lights but it wasn't very good when they first opened the new location but the last few times I have been there, it has been really good.

^ yeah i guess we went not long after it moved. weird space for one thing. people i know are enamored with it though, so maybe it's just me...

Iron Hen off Wendover (near Latham Park). Phoenix Asian at Bryan and New Garden is tasty, but nothing that fancy.

Iron Hen is good, not great - but all ingredients are local which is cool

second Southern Lights, and as I added on the other board, Basil & Co on Westover Terrace is pretty good (across from Lucky 32)

Rearn Thai on Market is pretty decent Thai food and the owners is an awesome guy.

Sticks and Stones is a good pizza place

The best "unknown" restaurant in Greensboro, IMHO, is Saigon on the corner of High Point Rd. and Merritt Drive. Nothing to see from the outside, but their food is fresh and wonderful.

I love Lucky 32's new "southern cuisine" menu. You'll never see greens and cornbread served up so fancy! Plus, they have great shrimp and grits.

And speaking of shrimp and grits, try Southern Roots on Main Street in Jamestown. There is a wait line every night, I think, but it's worth standing around a while. Very tasty. (I doubt you'll be able to get near it during the market, though.)

Count me in as one who likes but does not love Liberty Oaks (except for lunch) or Green Valley Grill.

Last edited:
What's the word on Scrambled Southern Diner? The menu looks interesting but ...

Scrambled is awesome

Also saw where Mark (of Mark’s restaurant on Dolley Madison) was murdered last night. Haven’t heard any other details.

Scrambled is awesome

Also saw where Mark (of Mark’s restaurant on Dolley Madison) was murdered last night. Haven’t heard any other details.
He was found dead in his car in the parking lot gunshot wound to the Head

Have an acquaintance that started Chez Genese. Anyone been there? I'm not in the area anymore. Hoping it's successful

also you can tell this thread is really old because no one responded to the OP that his mom would be having a cock sandwich for dinner

Back