• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Non-Boards related tech issue

ellisat2

Reaction score
I know that this is primarily a board for OGB-related issues, but y'all are the smartest tech people I know, so I'm gonna ask my question here. If you hate this or if it is inappropriate here, delete my thread and I'll go back to the Chat Thread.

I got an iPhone4 yesterday, and upon an attempt to add my "Gmail" account to the built-in email program, I got the following message:

Cannot Get Mail
The user name or password for "imap.gmail.com" is incorrect

I know that the username (full email address) and password are correct because I can use them to login to my Gmail on the computer. I know that I have IMAP turned on in my Gmail settings, but I also have POP enabled - does that make a difference? I have tried to manually change the IMAP from "imap.gmail.com" to "imap.googlemail.com" as suggested by someone on the Chat Thread, but that didn't work either. I tried to load my wife's Gmail on my phone the exact same way and it worked like a charm.

I really don't know what else to try or who to ask, since Gmail and Apple both will pretend like they don't know me. Do any of you have iPhone 4's and would be willing to troubleshoot this with me?

I did that and it didn't work. However, I just went 'round and 'round with Gmail until I found the Tech Support msg board, and they helped me figure it out. I had to get an "application specific password" for my iPhone. Seems to be working now, though.

Back