• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Only in California??

I guess I'm biased here because I'm a big bus driver connoisseur (I once went 17 stops past where I was going because the driver was doing such a sick job working the wheel), but I find it flabbergasting whenever I don't see people thank them. Best driver I ever saw, Mo "Big Pony" Ragoroni, used to tell me that he kept a mental list of anyone who didn't thank him and then prayed for their early demise. Not sure how common that reaction is, but point is it's not unusual at all to thank them, it's expected.

I guess I'm biased here because I'm a big bus driver connoisseur (I once went 17 stops past where I was going because the driver was doing such a sick job working the wheel), but I find it flabbergasting whenever I don't see people thank them. Best driver I ever saw, Mo "Big Pony" Ragoroni, used to tell me that he kept a mental list of anyone who didn't thank him and then prayed for their early demise. Not sure how common that reaction is, but point is it's not unusual at all to thank them, it's expected.

peopletokill.jpg

It was part of the story of the night. Would it have been any different if said "after ten drinks and about as many rounds of shots"?

To me it wouldn't have been, but your knee jerk reaction was to try to find something negative in a story that was pleasant.

but was it necessary to your observation of people thanking the bus driver (supposedly the point of your story)? no.

this could easily have been your first post:

"knowing I'd be sloshed by the time I had to come home, I opted to ride the bus out to the bars last night. I was astounded when every single person who exited the bus thanked the driver. It was a pleasant surprise to realize there may actually be decent people in this world. Maybe it was an anomaly, I thought at the time, but then to my amazement the same thing happened on the way home. Every single person thanked the driver, who responded with well-wishes on their evening. Is this unique to California? I don't ever recall seeing these niceties anywhere else in the world, and I've ridden lots of public transportation."

BOOM.

I don't really care about the $500 thing; people insert brags that people don't care about into every story.

But yes, this has happened probably every time I've taken the bus in every city. So to answer the question: No, definitely not only in California.

Some of you are looking for any reason to knock rj. He comes from Philly - thanking bus drivers isn't the norm there. I come from NJ - not happening there either. Doesn't happen in NYC. Haven't seen it in Mexico or a few Caribbean nations...maybe in Bermuda.

Maybe the bus driver is drug dealer and everyone leaves happy.

This and you don't need a drug dealer. If you want pot, you can get a prescription for almost any reason.

Hell Baron Davis got one because he had a bad beard day.

I'll answer your question, RJ.

No, its not a California thing. I've experienced that on buses in many Southern towns and cities. I think you may have been in California too long if you believe that to be an isolated, California-unique experience.

I'll answer your question, RJ.

No, its not a California thing. I've experienced that on buses in many Southern towns and cities. I think you may have been in California too long if you believe that to be an isolated, California-unique experience.

I think you may have hit on the head....it's more that I used public transport in big northern cities, in Europe and other places than in small towns.

Next time any of you are in the northeast try having a conversation with the grocery checkout clerks. Most of them look at you like you're nuts.

What makes no sense? I rode the bus. I had never seen a situation like I saw.

this place is beyond sick.

You can't even tell a nice story of people in a surprisingly friendly manner without others trying to find something negative about it.

Jesus, sometimes just nice things happen and are shared.

That's all this was. some of you can't just take something good happening without trying find something to bitch about.

I lolzed when I read this post. My biggest goal about the boards at this point is meet RJ. You should come to Winston for a football game, you could make money off handshakes, drinks, and autographs

Back