• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Only in California??

In San Francisco, no one ever thanks the bus driver. but thats because they probably make more money than most people on the bus.

The average base pay for a Muni operator — those who drive buses, cable cars and light-rail vehicles — is roughly $60,000, which is determined by a City Charter mandate that says they must be among the top paid in the country.

And Muni’s 2,350 operators are almost guaranteed a bevy of overtime pay. In calendar year 2009, 622 Muni operators raked in more than $80,000 in total pay, including 82 who brought home more than $100,000.

I'll answer your question, RJ.

No, its not a California thing. I've experienced that on buses in many Southern towns and cities. I think you may have been in California too long if you believe that to be an isolated, California-unique experience.

WHAT? southern towns have public transport? let me tell you sir, that a community horse is not considered public transport.

Extree Extree. Read all about it!!! Rich guy rides bus!!!!

newsboy.gif

Real talk: A man who rides the bus as his primary mode of transportation will always try to pick up women who live on his bus route.

If ever there has been a thread for Harv to make an appearance...

For the record... I can totally envision RJ (or the image of him I've gathered from the animated .gif & his posts) boozed up on a brown-bag special & slouched over on a public transportation bus by himself at 12:00 a.m. on a weeknight thinking this thread was a really good idea & that it would win him some real friends to envelope a couple with (who he hopes can afford a $500 tab).

Last edited:
not from Hermosa to HB....:)

but if you park your car we can take it from the pier.

not from Hermosa to HB....:)

but if you park your car we can take it from the pier.

I feel ya RJ. But overall, don't you think people in Cali are dicks? I can def see that here in NorCal. Being a huge dicks ourselves, Juice and I fit in pretty well.

edit: I have no idea how juice feels about people here - reflects only my opinion.

I feel ya RJ. But overall, don't you think people in Cali are dicks? I can def see that here in NorCal. Being a huge dicks ourselves, Juice and I fit in pretty well.

edit: I have no idea how juice feels about people here - reflects only my opinion.

A lot of it depends on where you are. I don't trust all that many Californians.

also a very significant portion of the people I know here aren't natives.

A lot of it depends on where you are. I don't trust all that many Californians.

also a very significant portion of the people I know here aren't natives.

Yea, almost everyone I hang out with are not native califonians. All the people I work with came here for college and decided to stay. socially - theres a lot of wake people i hang out with.

A lot of people here think that california is some sort of utopia, the be all end all and its just not. yea, its great weather, great innovation (up here in silicon valley), and a bunch of other things.

another thing that really grinds my gears is people who move here and pretend to be local californians - i have a friend who grew up on the east coast, went to school at wake and says things like - "deac2010, you have got to come to this event, it is quintessentially san francisco". im like "dude you moved here like 5 months ago."

Last edited:
i have posrepped the shit out of this thread. if you didn't get any its because i ran out. so much dumbity.

I lived in LA about 20 years ago and took the bus almost every day to work downtown. Yes, people said "thank you". So this is hardly news.

As to SF bus drivers

In San Francisco, no one ever thanks the bus driver. but thats because they probably make more money than most people on the bus.

The average base pay for a Muni operator — those who drive buses, cable cars and light-rail vehicles — is roughly $60,000, which is determined by a City Charter mandate that says they must be among the top paid in the country.

And Muni’s 2,350 operators are almost guaranteed a bevy of overtime pay. In calendar year 2009, 622 Muni operators raked in more than $80,000 in total pay, including 82 who brought home more than $100,000.

When I was in SF 2 years ago I took a trolley car and struck up a conversation with the driver. I have no idea how, but somehow the topic went to his comp and, unlike most people who would say something about how they're not making enough, this guy was definitely saying "I'm rich beee-yotch". And no, I did not ask him how much he made.

Back