• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Only in California??

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Last I was meeting a couple of friends in downtown Huntington Beach to watch the game and have some drinks. Realizing that I would likely leave my car downtown and take a cab home, I became proactive and took the bus.

Then a curious "only in California" thing started happening. Each time someone got of the bus, they paused and chimed,"thank you" to the bus driver. Who replied, "thanks for riding have a good night."

That was a nice puzzle.

I wasn't thinking as the three of us enveloped the couple next to us during the game. With a minor amount of bar food (and certainly no bottle service at this place) we had a bill of around $500 before the tip.

I "walked" down to the beach and got a bus. To my surprise the same thing happened on the way home that went on during the other ride. Everyone thanked the driver and she wished everyone a good night.

I've ridden public transportation all over the world. This is the first time I saw anything like this.

I have seen this many times on the public transportation in Cincinnati.

People say thank you to the bus driver in Arizona and we are barely civilized.

I have also seen this a ton of times. Therefore I think Nonny is right. Or maybe the $500 bill for a little food and no bottle service is what you are referencing as "only in california."

Absolutely not.......I was stunned about the politeness of all who were riding the bus.

Once I was taking a drink from a water bottle on the bus and it went over a speed bump and water spilled all over me. Guy next to me said "You won the Red Line wet tshirt contest today!". Only time I ever won a wet tshirt contest.

Last edited:
What makes no sense? I rode the bus. I had never seen a situation like I saw.

this place is beyond sick.

You can't even tell a nice story of people in a surprisingly friendly manner without others trying to find something negative about it.

Jesus, sometimes just nice things happen and are shared.

That's all this was. some of you can't just take something good happening without trying find something to bitch about.

You labeled it only in California and made a point that it doesn't happen elsewhere.

so it's basically I racked up a big bill but no biggie since I took the bus. and people were polite on said bus.

Once I was taking a drink from a water bottle on the bus and it went over a speed bump and water spilled all over me. Guy next to me said "You won the Red Line wet tshirt contest today!". Only time I ever won a wet tshirt contest.

"spilled" eh?

They guy was cute....you had a sheer bra on underneath and you wanted a date....

Last I was meeting a couple of friends in downtown Huntington Beach to watch the game and have some drinks. Realizing that I would likely leave my car downtown and take a cab home, I became proactive and took the bus.

Then a curious "only in California" thing started happening. Each time someone got of the bus, they paused and chimed,"thank you" to the bus driver. Who replied, "thanks for riding have a good night."

That was a nice puzzle.

I wasn't thinking as the three of us enveloped the couple next to us during the game. With a minor amount of bar food (and certainly no bottle service at this place) we had a bill of around $500 before the tip.

I "walked" down to the beach and got a bus. To my surprise the same thing happened on the way home that went on during the other ride. Everyone thanked the driver and she wished everyone a good night.

I've ridden public transportation all over the world. This is the first time I saw anything like this.

What a lucky couple.

Happens here too. Not everyone thanks the bus driver, but on the routes next to my house there are certain drivers who are loved. They get thanked all the time.

You labeled it only in California and made a point that it doesn't happen elsewhere.

As I said, I've ridden public transport in at least a dozen countries and almost major cities in the US and had seen such pleasantness from everyone who rode.

Basically, you are proving my point. You just want to find some to bitch about. That is very sad.

It's impossible just have a nice story here without people trying to tear it and you apart for it.

You racked up a big bill, but think of how much you saved by not getting a DUI.

What makes no sense? I rode the bus. I had never seen a situation like I saw.

this place is beyond sick.

You can't even tell a nice story of people in a surprisingly friendly manner without others trying to find something negative about it.

Jesus, sometimes just nice things happen and are shared.

That's all this was. some of you can't just take something good happening without trying find something to bitch about.

Also, if you wanted to say something nice - you should have posted your experience and asked if others had ever seen it - which it appears they have and your story is not as unique as you thought.

Also, the bill for your food was irrelevant and made your story more of a "Look at me, I spend $500 on a drink tab for 3 people" than a "Californians are friendly to their bus drivers".

We could also make a thread about where to ride the bus - most city buses scare me - I would rather ride a train/subway, that way, you never see the conductor and have no way to thank him or her and you save yourself the awkward situation of walking out next to the driver and wondering if you should say something or not.

other than the buses where you can get off in the middle/back (so you don't walk past the driver), i have rarely been on a bus where people HAVEN'T thanked the driver. i thought it was normal.

Back