• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Phuket, Thailand

CrapshootDeac

Reaction score
I'm not usually one to solicit the Pit's advice when it comes to traveling, but it seems like some pretty good advice has been dished out on the other travel threads, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. My wife and I are traveling to Phuket this week for a vacation ... any suggestions on places to see, things to do, where to eat, etc.? We've got the standard travel books that recommend all their touristy bullshit, and I imagine a fair amount of the trip is going to be spent lounging pool- or beach-side while drinking gay drinks with chunks of fruit and swirly straws, but I'd also like to get out and do some exploring while we're there.

Any advice and/or recommendations are appreciated. The more Thai massage/happy ending jokes you guys can muster, the better.

There's a Thai place around the corner from my place called Phuket Thai.

Under Phuket is (It's pronounced POO KET).

I was there about 8 years ago. The "women" latch onto a guy and spend the whole vacation with you as long as you feed them and pay them a nominal amount. Not kidding at all. I was there with my wife as well, so no soup for me (or aids).

I'm not usually one to solicit the Pit's advice when it comes to traveling, but it seems like some pretty good advice has been dished out on the other travel threads, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. My wife and I are traveling to Phuket this week for a vacation ... any suggestions on places to see, things to do, where to eat, etc.? We've got the standard travel books that recommend all their touristy bullshit, and I imagine a fair amount of the trip is going to be spent lounging pool- or beach-side while drinking gay drinks with chunks of fruit and swirly straws, but I'd also like to get out and do some exploring while we're there.

Any advice and/or recommendations are appreciated. The more Thai massage/happy ending jokes you guys can muster, the better.

i kindly suggest you rethink this plan sir.

If the water rushes out to see at a rapid pace. Go to high ground as quickly as you can.

If you haven't already received the warning, make sure you stick to bottled water. Also make sure that the bottle you receive was originally closed. Before I visited Thailand during study abroad, basically everyone I talked to at the school I was attending stressed the importance of the water issue.

Edit: Also, RIDE AN ELEPHANT BECAUSE IT'S AWESOME

i kindly suggest you rethink this plan sir.

I don't imagine Thailand is the safest place in the world for two white American tourists, but we've done a pretty fair amount of world traveling, so I'm not super worried about being kidnapped and getting sold into the sex slave industry or having my organs harvested. Still, a few of the sights we want to see involve traveling outside Phuket, so I will happily heed any safety warnings if you think it's warranted.

Beware of guns digging into hips

ace_ventura.jpg

I saw a show where it showed them filling up water bottles from the tap and then putting little dabs of super glue on cap/ring to make it seem unopened. I dont think that was Thailand though. Probably Atlanta. Either way that's just paranoid stuff. Sounds like a great trip, I'm jealous, have fun!

If you're in bangkok (hehe) the canals are really just open sewers....don't let the water splash near your face/eyes

Not going to Bangkok because of many of the issues already listed here (health, safety, prostitutes, soda sold in ziploc bags, human trafficking, etc.). This is just a chill beach vacation with a little sightseeing mixed in. Hoping to get out to Phang Nga Bay, Phi Phi Don islands, maybe do a little snorkeling, some hiking, nothing too crazy. Should be a good time, but as always, I defer to the collective knowledge of the Pit when it comes to travel advice. Such a worldly bunch, this.

Not going to Bangkok because of many of the issues already listed here (health, safety, prostitutes, soda sold in ziploc bags, human trafficking, etc.). This is just a chill beach vacation with a little sightseeing mixed in. Hoping to get out to Phang Nga Bay, Phi Phi Don islands, maybe do a little snorkeling, some hiking, nothing too crazy. Should be a good time, but as always, I defer to the collective knowledge of the Pit when it comes to travel advice. Such a worldly bunch, this.

On the real though, when we were there, we mostly ate at our resort the first few days. Then, we ventured down the beach and stopped in at a local, beach front spot. We had a huge fresh fish (not sure what kind, but it was alive when we picked it, a gigantic lobster, and a few bottles of wine. Total bill was like $20 for four adults. Venture out.

We also walked down the beach and found a beach bar that did not speak any English. We adopted a dog for the week and he would follow us there. The bar only played really bad 80s rock at high volume. It was so bad ass. The bar owner/tender just slept in a hammock around back and we would wake him up to get us beers.

I don't imagine Thailand is the safest place in the world for two white American tourists, but we've done a pretty fair amount of world traveling, so I'm not super worried about being kidnapped and getting sold into the sex slave industry or having my organs harvested. Still, a few of the sights we want to see involve traveling outside Phuket, so I will happily heed any safety warnings if you think it's warranted.

just making a joke about experimenting with thai ... uh night life. carry on

I saw a show where it showed them filling up water bottles from the tap and then putting little dabs of super glue on cap/ring to make it seem unopened. I dont think that was Thailand though. Probably Atlanta. Either way that's just paranoid stuff. Sounds like a great trip, I'm jealous, have fun!

Sounds like that movie Slumdog Millionaire. So probably India.

The good news is that there's probably only a very small chance that this would happen again while you're there:

You have a great game plan with the above. As another poster mentioned, take the time to ride an elephant. If you like to fish, you can hire a boat for a half day or full day for next to nothing. You will catch fish!

Phuket is a huge Aussie destination. You will have a blast partying with them. Those folks can just get after it.

Are you going somewhere else on this trip? Long haul for just a week.

Nope, just going to Phuket for some winter R&R. We're staying for a little more than a week, which seems like enough time to relax while also seeing some of what Thailand has to offer.

On the topic of Aussies, we ran into a lot of them (and Kiwis, as well) on our trip to Malaysia last winter. That also seemed like a popular tourist destination, given its relative proximity to Australia. Most of them were super cool, and it was nice to spend some time away from typical American d-bags. It's amazing how quickly Americans will start to annoy you when you spend even a little time in other countries.

We did a day trip out of Koh Phi Phi that went to both Don and Lay islands that was pretty badass, there was monkey site seeing, snorkeling, lunch on a bunch of awesome beaches etc.

Railay is really badass but kind of a haul from Phuket. We stayed on the backside of the island from where you make port and getting there (we didn't take a long tail boat) was umm... an adventure.

Eat as much street food as you can bc it's ridiculously tasty. And pepsi in a bag is awesome.

Back